• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does anyone else have hearing changes on opiates after a heavy dose?

For me the whole world seems to go away for a bit.

Often times I would put my hand over my ears.

I suppose I want to dissasociate whenever I use any substance.

Funny thing is, it doesn't bother me at all. I actually find it kinda relaxing and it really only happens to me after I've taken a high dose (My tolerance at the highest: 300mg of oral morphine or a 100mcg fentanyl patch).

Last edited:
I 100% do.
When I'm on a big dose of opiates, I consider my current script a lot of Opiates, 4 30mg Roxy, and 3 10mg Methadone... a lot of opiates I NEED though for my 3 torn, and 3 dislocated discs in my lower back.. sometimes they touch my spine and cause extreme nerve pain.. It's happened to me 8 times.. and each time I ended up in the ER.. I've stayed up to 3 weeks within one visit...

They always gave me 40mg Morphine, 6mg Ativan, 25mg Promethazine, IV every 6 hours.

I wouldnt wish that type of pain to my worst enemy.

Anyways OT, While on a good dose of opiates.. My hearing is delightful.. music sounds amazing.. almost as good as XTC.

BUT, with no opiates and while in Withdrawal.. every bit of noise sounds like a train passing by like 3 feet close to me. VERY unplesant.

God- the WD....... Sound of a mouse walking would soound like nails on a chalk-board

My ears itch really bad on opiates I just take a Q-tip and stab away sometimes until there is blood, probably not great but my doctors have always said my ear canals are fine when peeking in there.

Holy fuck I hope no one does this... stabbing away at your ears drums with Q-tips is a very effective way to cause some damage, and seeing blood? Damn dude, if you ever go deaf don't worry about why...

Holy fuck I hope no one does this... stabbing away at your ears drums with Q-tips is a very effective way to cause some damage, and seeing blood? Damn dude, if you ever go deaf don't worry about why...

NOONE1 - You sure that's your doctor and not your kitchen toaster telling you that- Get it together man

NOONE1 - You sure that's your doctor and not your kitchen toaster telling you that- Get it together man

I've been doing it for years even when not on opiates but it's really a lot worse when high on them, if I see blood I stop but it's just like a dab on the q tip not a bunch leaking out or anything. I've told my doctors about it and after peeking in there they say they don't see any damage and tell me not to do that anymore but my ears keep itching.

I have some mild OCD going on with opiates. Grosser is sometimes I would pick inside my nose until a torrent of blood would come out I still have some books I would read while high covered with 2 or 3 pages in blood. I don't do this anymore.... uh probably getting off topic here though.

I've been doing it for years even when not on opiates but it's really a lot worse when high on them, if I see blood I stop but it's just like a dab on the q tip not a bunch leaking out or anything. I've told my doctors about it and after peeking in there they say they don't see any damage and tell me not to do that anymore but my ears keep itching.

I have some mild OCD going on with opiates. Grosser is sometimes I would pick inside my nose until a torrent of blood would come out I still have some books I would read while high covered with 2 or 3 pages in blood. I don't do this anymore.... uh probably getting off topic here though.

noone1 this isn't very complicated. Stabbing at your ears with Q-tips until they bleed WILL ABSOLUTELY CAUSE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE TO YOUR EARS.

Do you realize a lot (if not most) in the medical community even recommend NOT using Q-tips, one of the reasons being that people can go to far and damage their eardrums permanently?

No matter how you rationalize it to yourself, this is fucking stupid, and stop doing it.

noone1 is out of his skull...

He probably was on LSD and hallucinated himself at his Dr's office and said his ear drums are fine

Opiates makes me itch sometimes (depending on how high the dose was), but never my ears. My nose tends to itch more than anything during high doses.

noone1 this isn't very complicated. Stabbing at your ears with Q-tips until they bleed WILL ABSOLUTELY CAUSE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE TO YOUR EARS.

Do you realize a lot (if not most) in the medical community even recommend NOT using Q-tips, one of the reasons being that people can go to far and damage their eardrums permanently?

No matter how you rationalize it to yourself, this is fucking stupid, and stop doing it.

I don't know man they really itch I can't help it... I don't know about permanent damage but oh shit just looked this up and the weird vertigo feeling I get is probably related to this. I thought it was alcohol withdrawal.