• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Does anyone else find that the taste of food & drink is dulled?

UnsafePony

Greenlighter
I take 1mg of Clonazepam prn as prescribed, no tolerance, and while it is a wonderfully effective drug, it has one side effect; food and drink seems to be dulled. It's not just the actual experience of eating or drinking that's dulled but the very taste itself, for example I'm drinking a red bull now and the usual zing from it is totally gone, the taste seems muted, same goes for coca cola. Maybe it's just sugary food, I haven't tested it more thoroughly, but it's a side effect that I can't find mention of in the literature and I was wondering whether anyone here has experienced a similar side effect?

Tbh I feel like I could go without eating anything at all while I'm on this drug, food and drink just loses it's appeal for me.

Read about it before, never experienced it. I think it's just one of those rare side effects that some get. Have you tried a different benzo?

Googling clonazepam and dysgeusia or hypogeusia or ageusia should get some hits.

benzos actually increase the taste of food for me..food tastes amazing after a good dose of benzos..

Read about it before, never experienced it. I think it's just one of those rare side effects that some get. Have you tried a different benzo?

Googling clonazepam and dysgeusia or hypogeusia or ageusia should get some hits.

I've been prescribed diazepam and alprazolam before, selected clonazepam because it was really long lasting without having the tendency to accumulate like diazepam does due to it's shorter half life. But I might try switching back to them again.

I'll try those search terms thanks.

benzos actually increase the taste of food for me..food tastes amazing after a good dose of benzos..

This seems to be what all the studies on the subject say, benzos normally cause an increase in the palatability of foods, thus an increased food intake.

benzos always made food taste better for me. But then, benzos seemed to make my LIFE better...easier to deal with, which is why I began abusing it when I came down with bad PPD. It was my "escape" for a long time. Until I blacked out while driving after popping too many and crashed my car. Went to rehab for that. Benzo WD is terrible, but they gave me subs and other meds so its wasn't as bad as it could have been. I know, I was confused too, suboxone for WD from benzos?! but it made me sleep most of 2 weeks so I got the really tough part over fast.

Benzo's did kind of let me live, where I hadn't been, or at least without as much fear, so I understand some of the responses here in how experiences such as eating and drinking were made better by way of benzo's, but benzo's can and do down you out; I know when I had no benzo tolerance, 1 mg of clonazepam would have effected me pretty heavily and I doubt food or drink would have seemed to have as much spice, sweetness, or whatever, as they would otherwise. 1 mg clonazepam may be more than you think, or feel - I don't know. Maybe, you do need clonazepam at that dose for maximal therapeutic results, but it is a rather high dose for p.r.n. use in someone without benzo tolerance.

food tastes fine to me but i i have much less of an appetite. i'll go an entire day before i realized i havent eaten anything. this could just be due to the amount of beer i drink making me feel full but it seems to have gotten worse since i started benzos. weed helps with that though and im sure it would make food delicious to you again as well

Benzo's did kind of let me live, where I hadn't been, or at least without as much fear, so I understand some of the responses here in how experiences such as eating and drinking were made better by way of benzo's, but benzo's can and do down you out; I know when I had no benzo tolerance, 1 mg of clonazepam would have effected me pretty heavily and I doubt food or drink would have seemed to have as much spice, sweetness, or whatever, as they would otherwise. 1 mg clonazepam may be more than you think, or feel - I don't know. Maybe, you do need clonazepam at that dose for maximal therapeutic results, but it is a rather high dose for p.r.n. use in someone without benzo tolerance.

The 1mg dose is definitely required for me, it's also actually the minimum dose listed in the UK formulary, 1mg every 24 hours. I've tried .5 and .75 before and sometimes do indeed use that as a prophylactic but it's not until I have taken 1mg that a significant anxiety episode that I may be experiencing vanishes, rarely 1.5mg may be required after a major trauma. Strangely I find that the higher doses tend to produce a more prolonged complete period of relief from my anxiety symptoms far outlasting the drugs 12-16hr duration.

There is a definite feeling of relaxation and tranquility, like I've had a really relaxed stress free day, but it's subtle, and does not cause intoxication or a feeling that it is drug induced. In fact when I was first trying it for social phobia I suffered from years ago, I couldn't even tell it was having an effect. I feel no drowsiness and my cognitive and psychomotor performance has been assessed as being no different from baseline. I just maybe feel a bit disinterested in things when I take it, perhaps more so now than when I first started taking it in the past, almost like a dulling, not too much of an issue since I take it in the evening as sleep is something I find it benefits too. Maybe the disinterest is part of the reason for going off food, but does not seem to explain the different sensation of taste. When I ask friends if they can tell I've taken anything they say they can't and I've received no comment from anyone else that I seem like I'm on something so I can only assume there is no obvious overt effect of that dose on me.

I'm also prescribed pregabalin 300mg prn which is perhaps more pleasant than clonazepam as it doesn't cause any kind of dulling feeling or affect the taste of food, just a somewhat hazy mildly enjoyable relaxation, but it can cause a degree of psychomotor impairment and does disinhibit me a bit, when I'm going home at night from the deserted riding school I can wander around the fields all alone in the pitch black and not feel any sense of unease that an average person might, it's really quite remarkable.

Over the past 4 years since I developed an anxiety problem at 19 these drugs have greatly improved the quality of my life, but if I could somehow get rid of that side benzo effect it would be a bonus, maybe I will try alprazolam again or taking a slight dose reduction of clonazepam to say 850/900mg if I can tolerate it, as the effect is obviously less pronounced at lower doses.

I will also be consulting my psych doctor about other potential treatment options he mentioned such as prn clonidine and the periodic use of the sodium channel blocker anticonvulsants carbamazepine
and lamotrigine since there are a lot of anxious patients that do well on those drugs and I have an excellent history of response to cns depressants/anticonvulsants. These will hopefully reduce if not eliminate my benzodiazepine use to the point where I am only rarely using them for situational anxiety. Conversely MAOI's nor any other antidepressants have any effect on me at all, at least at the doses the doctors are willing to prescribe.

I do really struggle to see how people can use benzos as recreational drugs, I wouldn't even want to try, anxiety disorder aside. The rare time they may make me feel good is if I transition to a relaxed state from a severely anxious one after using them, otherwise they hold no appeal at all.

food tastes fine to me but i i have much less of an appetite. i'll go an entire day before i realized i havent eaten anything. this could just be due to the amount of beer i drink making me feel full but it seems to have gotten worse since i started benzos. weed helps with that though and im sure it would make food delicious to you again as well

My experience is similar, it does seem to have became worse over time when I take the drug. I rarely drink alcohol though and only in small amounts for the taste these days due to it's many unpleasant effects at higher doses.

Experimenting with other recreational drugs like cannabis is a definite no no given my anxiety issues, and I want to stay in a legal situation and be sure that what I'm putting into my body is exactly that. It also goes against my philosophy of avoiding the situation where I'm taking one psychoactive drug to counter the side effects of another which in my observations often ends badly. Maybe a pharmaceutical tincture of cannabis like Sativex could be an effective agent for some symptoms I suffer from, but it's not something that I feel is most appropriate at this time, nor will doctors prescribe it for psychiatric conditions.

Last edited:
strange. usually benzos give me quite the munchies and food seem to taste a bit better. (from what I recall from my experiences, lol)

I don't find food or drink to taste any less nice on benzodiazepines but I do notice a change in taste whenever I've taken them - in fact it's pretty much the main first alert I use to tell if I've taken a good dose of a benzo, before the full effects hit me I'll always notice the cola I'm drinking tastes a sweeter and somewhat different to the norm.

I quite like the change in taste I get but I don't know if it's because it *actually* tastes nicer or because I associate it with the pleasant relaxation that benzos induce.

Not with benzodiazepines, but with the Z-drugs (act on GABA in brain like benzos) I've gotten some of the most awful tastes in my mouth when having food and drink. The worst for me was eszopiclone. Benzos always give me wonderful munchies and don't affect taste for me.

Yeah lunesta used to give me the worse bitter mouth exactly bout 30 min after ingesting. It was really annoying.

Anyways usually on my first dose of benzos or if I take a higher dose I have orgasms from how good food tastes. It tends to happen more on xanax.

I can almost eat as much if not more compared to munchies from smoking pot.

Benzo munchies definitely seem to lessen as tolerance rises though

I know this post is pretty old now and the OP may not even see this, but I too experience this. Not only does food taste dulled on klonopin, but it tastes gross, almost slimy. I also get nausea on klonopin, like my stomach is full of toxins or something. It's unfortunate because it does work for anxiety & panic. Other benzo's do the same but it seems with klonopin that it's the most intense. Again, I don't mean to revive an old thread, but didn't want OP to feel alone. Maybe we are a rare breed.