• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Design Does anybody here use or have used Gimp 2.10.20?

xxfreak187xx

Bluelighter
Was looking for a free or cracked photo editor and came across Gimp 2.10.20, it's got a ton of options but I didn't know wtf I was in for lol. If anyone uses or has used this any advice, help, tips or tricks would be greatly appriciated.....

I've used it before on Linux but tbh I can't remember what version! It's pretty good from what I remember though
Inkscape was a good one and free, take it you are on Linux?

I used it some years back on linux. Worked fine for the image stuff I needed to do.

GIMP it total open source. Its free.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube and around the net. I was never into any image software so I found it kinda wild as it could do anything. Its now 7 years later, so I am sure its better. Use it.

I use it on Windows, it just pissed me off an hour ago by deleting my work.

The hard part of the GIMP UI is basically learning how to use the controls that change the visibility of things. Before you get used to that it's very hard to tell what's going on. After that, well -- I don't know, I'll tell you if I ever get there.

What's nice is being able to do actual editing: you can, with effort, modify most of the parts of an image that look like you should be able to modify them independently of each other

Yea I downloaded for windows probably 20 min posting thread and I was/ am all kinds of mind fucked. Got frustrated with it a couple times but I'll get there. Thanx for all the replies

I've used GIMP for many years, the UX is rarely not frustrating but it's powerful at the pixel manipulations. I even have used it to sign tax forms by importing PDFs and putting my e-signature in.

I only really know two "tricks", one is that you can quantize an image by selecting Image > Mode > Indexed... and then generate a palette based on the colours in an image

The other trick is Script-Fu, which is using Scheme to programatically process an image. This is helpful in batch processing images if you have a bunch that you want to do a set of manipulations on. You might think it's a hassle to learn Scheme until you realize it's sometimes quicker to just describe the process than it is to find the tool in the fucked UI and then have to delicately drag the mouse around for an hour while you get carpal tunnel syndrome

if it's a serious hobby for you, a photoshop subscription is worth it. learning gimp doesn't get you ahead in the industry. neither programs are at all intuitive, but photoshop is dominate so it is easier to find tutorials on different techniques. and it's set up very well for professionally printing photos.

also if you learn photoshop, learning other adobe programs will be a bit easier. knowing how to use creative suite is an employable skill.

if you want to stick with gimp, pick one manipulation you are trying to accomplish and master it. then move on to the next. i can't remember it exactly, but it will do some things like very precise photo resizing, exporting in a variety of formats, detailed level and curve adjustment, switching between rgb and cmyk -- some of the things you really need. i can't remember if it has a nice unsharp mask, but you'll need that.

Last edited:
Was looking for a free or cracked photo editor and came across Gimp 2.10.20, it's got a ton of options but I didn't know wtf I was in for lol. If anyone uses or has used this any advice, help, tips or tricks would be greatly appriciated.....

If.you type up "online photo shop" or "online photo editor" you should come across an online version of photoshop. It's really nice if you can't get used to gimp. I personally like gimp a lot.

I use GIMP for windows, because it's free. It can do all the things you need to do for basic image editing, I find it kinda clunky and it's missing some stuff you get with, say, Photoshop, or some other pay-for editor. It's not bad though, it takes a little getting used to though, I found the interface to not be very intuitive. Maybe I'm just used to Photoshop from back in the day when I had it.