• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Does antipsychotics block or stop meth?

DevilSmile

Greenlighter
I am currently on olanzapine and was wondering if it would hinder or stop the effects of meth.:? I did a search but all I found was using antipsychotics for the come down. I want to know if after the peak effect of an antipsychotic was over would meth still be effective?

It depends on your dose and your antipsychotic, but I'd say yes, it will have a negative effect on methamphetamine, probably making it not enjoyable.

At minimum, it would probably reduce the euphoria of the meth while leaving the side effects but as tri said, the degree is dose dependent.

As someone who has spent the last few years studying psychology, I'd be more concerned about the repercussions on your mental health of using meth if you have a diagnosis that requires atypical antipsychotics than the potential for reduced euphoric effects. What are you prescribed olanzapine for?

O
The book Addiction Medicine mentions studies, suggesting aripiprazole would be counter-therapeutic as treatment for methamphetamine dependency because it increased methamphetamine's stimulant and euphoric effects, and increased the baseline level of desire for methamphetamine. The author mentions studies that suggest that dopamine agonist treatment would be counter-therapeutic for methamphetamine/amphetamine dependency. [25]

Antipsychotics are kind of a broad class of medication.
For example Abilify actually increases methamphetamine's affects according to this article.

^ could you post that source?

I am not asking to question the validity, I'd just like to read more about that :) I haven't heard about any atypicals having stimulant or euphoric effects alone or in combination with other drugs and have only seen others report the opposite so I am curious to learn more about this.

ETA:

Wanted to point out that I just read aripriprazole has some dopamine agonist activity while olanzapine does not and antagonizes D2 receptors so that makes sense that the former might potentiate drugs like methamphetamine while other atypicals such as the latter work as 5ht and Dopamine antagonists and would reduce the positive effects.

he's talking specifically about olanzapine which would theoretically block the euphoric qualities of methampethamine as it blocks dopamine and serotonin production, which is the key role of methamphetamine.

this however is dose dependent, if you were to take enough methamphetamine it would overpower the anti-psychotic.

i take 20mg of olanzapine every night and still get a good high off adderall but it takes like 100mg

^ did you use adderall/other ampethamines before starting olanzapine so you have a baseline to compare it to?

If not, what you might consider a 'good high' might just be seen as a disappointment to someone who is used to feeling the full, unencumbered effects of methamphetamine.

it probably would be a disappointing experieence as it would block the dopamine production - and 100mg of adderall is a very high dose too.

adderall is also different to meth in the fact it doesn't effect serotonin levels as much. i believe olanzepine is a slight antagonist at htp receptors too :(

yeah i've done it before i took zyprexa and it was close to the same just had to take a little higher dose

^just do a milder upper like 4 mec, or something that will daze you. when im really spun out, i find it more helpful to do a more baseline amp, something thats not overstimulating, but will catalyze you and the time will start flying by. ketamine would be possibly another good alternative, but just very small amounts. crazy story....ill make it short : D i did a snoppy cutout (bzp/tfmpp/and caffeine) like 6 months ago. it got to the point where i finally decided id be better off taking it than just keeping an "ecstasy tablet" around to get caught with, or someone who shouldnt take it finds it. now i had taken this very same tablet close to a dozen times over the previous two years (no bragging rights), even the thought of a waxy, sour, heavily died pill. almost triggers my gag reflex just thinking about putting one on my tongue. had one saved that honestly, i didnt really want. pipes get old, real quick. anyways, i somewhat enjoyed the first 3 hours of the pipe, slightly jittery even in its finest moment, and it leaves you with such a boring stimulation, your not tired but dont feel like doing ANYTHING. i didnt even feel like watching my favorite tv show, just felt yucky. but suddenly i just started feeling not right mentally. no sickness or anything, just like a really rigid crash. well, i was still brand new to mxe and i had some, assuming it was like ketamine, which its not at all. but anyways i did a good line/dose and even tho i was mildly stimulated, i was able to melt into the couch and just zone out. time FLEW by, and as it did, i became more comfortable with my surroundings. im not suggesting that mxe is a sedative, cos its totally not. but if you do just a little bump, and can find that sweet spot. it will, definitely, balance you out until it wears off. it totally melted my edgy and fidgety mind and body. it was a cool thing. however i tried using mxe like that another time and it kept me up for like 5 more hours, Lol. but again, it did kinda sedate me in an almost dopamine stimulation. just feeling goood. and better. also try taking a really long, relaxing bath. maybe even get "hot for teacher" while you're in there. also would help you out to take a few benadryl or tylenol pm. theres millions of ways to get yourself to relax without digging yourself any deeper into a comedown.

Last edited:
forgot the most essential and important thing besides staying hydrated (figured you already knew that one) but if you can make yourself eat some food, your body will start releasing endorphens or whatever and you will relax and possibly get a little drowsy. when i stay up for too long and dont eat, i know how bad it sucks to get that mouth hurt shit, hives in the throat, ouch! so i recommend something with no salt, not acidic, eat slow and careful so you dont get what i call "the mouth hurt" last time i binged on 2fma when i finally did eat, i had tears welled up all over my face and it hurt so fucking bad in my mouth/throat. that reminds me. i should eat something before its been too long without. im very susceptible to mouth hurt. if i miss a meal or two i get it these days, but never had it once before abusing the hell out of ecstasy in the late 90's early 2000's, ugh!

Last edited:
Cane2TheLeft: aripiprazole probably produces (some) increase in methamphetamine's effects because of its affinity for autoreceptor partial agonism/blockade.

Behav Brain Res. 2011 Jan 20;216(2):621-5. Epub 2010 Sep 15.
Repetitive administration of aripiprazole enhances locomotor response to methamphetamine in mice.
Cheng MC, Hsu SH, Chen CH.
Department of Psychiatry, Yuli Mental Health Research Center, Yuli Veterans Hospital, Hualien, Taiwan.

Dopamine receptor partial agonists have been proposed as potential candidate agents to treat psycho-stimulant abuse. Aripiprazole is a dopamine D2/D3 receptor partial agonist that is currently used as an antipsychotic drug in clinical settings. This study aimed to examine whether aripiprazole can suppress the methamphetamine-induced locomotor response in mice that is used as an indicator for potential clinical use. In ICR mice pre-exposed to methamphetamine (1mg/kg subcutaneous injection once daily for 7 days), we found that mice receiving repetitive treatments with aripiprazole (1, 5, and 10mg/kg, respectively; intraperitoneal injection once daily for 1 week) showed a significantly enhanced locomotor response upon re-exposure to methamphetamine (0.5mg/kg), compared with animals that received a vehicle treatment. Furthermore, we found that methamphetamine-naïve mice receiving repetitive treatment with aripiprazole (5mg/kg intraperitoneal injection once daily for 1 week) also showed a significantly enhanced locomotor response to acute challenge with methamphetamine (0.5mg/kg), compared with animals receiving the vehicle treatment. The enhanced locomotor response to methamphetamine in both methamphetamine-pre-exposed and methamphetamine-naïve mice lasted at least four weeks in this study. Our data suggest that aripiprazole may enhance the effects of methamphetamine, so caution should be exercised when prescribing to individuals with histories of stimulant use.

Haloperidol has also been shown to increase dopamine release from m-amphetamine caused by blockade at the D2 autoreceptor.
Toxicol Mech Methods. 2010 Mar;20(3):127-32.
Effects of dopamine antagonists on methamphetamine-induced dopamine release in high and low alcohol preference rats.
Nishiguchi M, Kinoshita H, Kasuda S, Takahashi M, Yamamura T, Matsui K, Ouchi H, Minami T, Hishida S, Nishio H.
Department of Legal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1-1 Mukogawa-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663-8501, Japan. [email protected]
The authors have previously shown that high alcohol preference rats (HAP) have a significantly higher sensitivity than low alcohol preference rats (LAP) for methamphetamine (MA). In this study, changes in dopamine and serotonin release induced by MA (1 mg/kg, intraperitoneally) after pre-treatment with D1 and D2 receptor antagonists were examined in the striatum of rats with different alcohol preferences to elucidate differences in receptor levels between the two rat strains. D1 receptor antagonist SCH23390 or D2 receptor antagonist haloperidol were administrated intracerebroventricularly 10 min before MA stimulation. This study investigated the effect of methamphetamine-induced dopamine and serotonin release in striatum using microdialysis of freely moving rats coupled to ECD-HPLC. With haloperidol treatment both strains of rats showed a significantly greater maximum increase on MA-induced dopamine release compared with respective control rats. However, after SCH23390 treatment only HAP rats showed a significantly greater increase in dopamine release compared with controls. SCH23390 blocks mainly D1 receptors only in the post-synaptic membrane, whereas haloperidol blocks D2 receptors in both the pre-synaptic and post-synaptic membranes. The MA-induced increase in dopamine release following haloperidol pre-treatment was greater than SCH23390 pre-treatment in both strains. This result indicates that D2 receptors (autoreceptors) in the pre-synaptic membrane were blocked, leading to the elimination of the feedback function that regulates dopamine release. These data suggested that alcohol preference is associated with the action of MA, and the dopaminergic mechanism, specifically the D1 system in the striatum, might have a different pathway dependent on alcohol preference.

In humans however, aripiprazole does not always increase subjective "liking". N=6 is pretty small for a sample size, but that would sure be an "interesting" study, getting trained to discriminate meth from saline... I was unaware such "frontier pharmacology" goes on today in the US.
J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011 Aug;31(4):470-80.
Discriminative-stimulus, subject-rated, and physiological effects of methamphetamine in humans pretreated with aripiprazole.
Sevak RJ, Vansickel AR, Stoops WW, Glaser PE, Hays LR, Rush CR.
Department of Behavioral Science, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536-0086, USA.
Methamphetamine is thought to produce its behavioral effects by facilitating release of dopamine, serotonin (5-HT) and norepinephrine. Results from animal studies support this notion, whereas results from human laboratory studies have not consistently demonstrated the importance of monoamine systems in the behavioral effects of methamphetamine. Human drug-discrimination procedures are well suited to assess neuropharmacological mechanisms of the training drug by studying pharmacological manipulation. In this human laboratory study, 6 participants with a history of recreational stimulant use learned to discriminate 10 mg oral methamphetamine. After acquiring the discrimination (ie, ≥ 80% correct responding on 4 consecutive sessions), the effects of a range of doses of methamphetamine (0, 2.5, 5, 10, and 15 mg), alone and in combination with 0 and 20 mg aripiprazole (a partial agonist at D2 and 5-HT1A receptors), were assessed. Methamphetamine alone functioned as a discriminative stimulus, produced prototypical stimulant-like subject-rated drug effects (eg, increased ratings of Good Effects, Talkative-Friendly, and Willing to Pay For) and elevated cardiovascular indices. These effects were generally a function of dose. Aripiprazole alone did not occasion methamphetamine-appropriate responding or produce subject-rated effects but modestly impaired performance. Administration of aripiprazole significantly attenuated the discriminative-stimulus and cardiovascular effects of methamphetamine, as well as some of the subject-rated drug effects. These results indicate that monoamine systems likely play a role in the behavioral effects of methamphetamine in humans. Moreover, given the concordance between past results with d-amphetamine and the present findings, d-amphetamine can likely serve as a model for the pharmacological effects of methamphetamine.

Risperidone on the other hand blocks most of the effects of m-amphetamine, it seems.
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010 Oct 1;111(3):241-9. Epub 2010 Jun 11.
Effect of risperidone on acute methamphetamine-induced hyperthermia in rats.
Shioda K, Nisijima K, Yoshino T, Kato S.
Department of Psychiatry, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan. [email protected]
The abuse of methamphetamine (METH) is popular in many parts of the world. The number of fatal cases related to METH-induced hyperthermia is increasing, but no definitive therapy has yet been found. In the present study, we investigated the ability of risperidone to attenuate acute METH-induced hyperthermia and the mechanism of its action. When administered before and after a single high METH dose (10 mg/kg), risperidone significantly suppressed acute METH-induced hyperthermia in a dose-dependent manner. The same effect was produced by dopamine-1 (DA(1)) and serotonin-2A (5-HT(2A)) receptor blockers, but not by D₂, 5-HT(1A), 5-HT(2B/2C), or 5-HT(2C) receptor blockers, demonstrating that risperidone suppressed METH-induced hyperthermia by blocking the D(1) and 5-HT(2A) receptors. A microdialysis study showed that when METH (10 mg/kg) was subcutaneously injected into rats, the levels of DA, 5-HT, glutamate, and the nitric oxide (NO) metabolites NOx (NO₂⁻+ NO₃⁻) in the anterior hypothalamus increased. Risperidone pretreatment significantly attenuated increases in the levels of DA, 5-HT, glutamate, and NOx. The present study indicates that risperidone may be an effective drug for treating METH-induced hyperthermia in humans and that METH influences the DA and 5-HT neuron systems as well as other neuron systems, including the glutamate and NO systems.

Last edited:
Olanzapine and risperidone block a high dose of methamphetamine-induced schizophrenia-like behavioral abnormalities and accompanied apoptosis in the medial prefrontal cortex.
Abekawa T, Ito K, Nakagawa S, Nakato Y, Koyama T.
Source

Hokkaido University, Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Kita 15, Nishi 7, 060-8638, Sapporo, Japan. [email protected]
Abstract

This study aims to propose a comprehensive new model for schizophrenia, which shows PPI disruption at baseline state as an endophenotype, the development of cross-sensitization to an NMDA receptor antagonist, MK-801 as a clinical phenotype of the progression into treatment-resistance, and accompanied induction of apoptosis in the medial prefrontal cortex as a critical possibility during the progression. Repeated administration of a high dose of methamphetamine (METH) (2.5 mg/kg), which could increase glutamate levels in the medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC), induced TUNEL-positive cells in this region, accompanied development of behavioral cross-sensitization to MK-801 in response to a challenge injection of MK-801, and PPI disruption at baseline state without a challenge injection. Olanzapine (OLZ) (1.0 mg/kg) and risperidone (RIS) (0.1 mg/kg), which inhibited and remarkably attenuated METH (2.5 mg/kg)-induced increases in glutamate levels, respectively, blocked not only the induction of TUNEL-positive cells in the mPFC but also the accompanied development of above behavioral abnormalities. These findings suggest that repeating the METH-induced glutamate release produces behavioral abnormalities as a clinical phenotype of schizophrenia, accompanied apoptosis as a critical possibility during the progression, and suggest that sufficient dose of olanzapine and risperidone can block the development of these behavioral abnormalities and accompanied apoptosis during the progression.
sounds like it takes the bad out of amphetamine

Seroquel which is atypical seems to block everything, good effects, bad, even comedown. tried a big dose after taking my usual S tab. Nothing. Bascially slept shortly after. Not sure how the others work.

How long should I wait before I take a bump after stopping the anti-psychotic? I use the anti-psychotic for different reasons I'm not crazy or anything. The anti-psychotic I am taking has a half-life of 21-54 hours. I am taking a low dose of zyprexa 10mg.

10mg of zyprexa i would consider a moderate dose and i've done adderall the morning after the night i took 30mg of zyprexa and got pretty high but it took 100mg and i have nothing but a naturally high tolerance

Well here I go again. I always get caught up having to wait for the half-life to be over every time I can score >.< So I was wondering about if I should just wait until the half-life is over or wait even longer. I could get extra money out and do bumps to get through a day or two then do what I want when the medication is weaker in my system. At least wait for 30 hours before I try it.

Last edited:
why the hell would you guys take both at the same time? take antipsychotic afterwards. i don't think it works man. those antipsychotics dont do shit