• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does 5htp cause tolerance and downregulate serotonin receptors?

5htp.1

Greenlighter
Does 5htp cause tolerance and downregulate serotonin receptors? It should only increase plasma serotonin blood levels and not to bind to receptors right?

I read this on bluelight

I don't believe 5HTP has a tolerance, it simply increases your bodies serotonin levels back to normal and has nothing to do with binding to receptors. It simply increases your serotonin stores so that when your body needs them there's enough ther

Is it true? http://www.bluelight...r-long-term-use

It's not so much tolerance in the classic sense of receptor dysregulation as it is messing with aromatic l-amino acid decarboxylase which is responsible for catalyzing several different decarboxylation reactions including dopamine synth. Eventually your rise in serotonin is at the expense of proper levels of other neurotransmitters. 5HTP isn't something you should be using chronically. At least something like tryptophan (which you can get through proper diet) doesn't bypass your body's natural rate-limiting step that is probably there for a reason..

It's not so much tolerance in the classic sense of receptor dysregulation as it is messing with aromatic l-amino acid decarboxylase which is responsible for catalyzing several different decarboxylation reactions including dopamine synth. Eventually your rise in serotonin is at the expense of proper levels of other neurotransmitters. 5HTP isn't something you should be using chronically. At least something like tryptophan (which you can get through proper diet) doesn't bypass your body's natural rate-limiting step that is probably there for a reason..

So it doesnt cause receptor tolerance? All it does is lower dopamine? And does tryptophan cause receptor tolerance?

I've never heard of what pinpoint says, but i'd say no.
SSRIs certainly seem to have greater potential to negatively alter brain chemistry.

Don't take anything every day tho, except weed

BTW, a bluelight thread, or any internet forum, is the worst place to go to for professional medical advice.

If it doesnt cause receptor tolerance, it would be great as you could walk around in periods as being a dumb relaxed high serotonin guy.

5HTP doesn't have binding affinity at receptors .. it doesn't prevent reuptake or cause release of 5HT.. by what mechanism are you assuming 5HTP or the resulting increase in 5HT levels cause receptor dysregulation?

5HTP doesn't have binding affinity at receptors .. it doesn't prevent reuptake or cause release of 5HT.. by what mechanism are you assuming 5HTP or the resulting increase in 5HT levels cause receptor dysregulation?

Some people on longecity were saying it caused tolerance and didnt give a effect anymore

I've never heard of what pinpoint says, but i'd say no.
SSRIs certainly seem to have greater potential to negatively alter brain chemistry.

Don't take anything every day tho, except weed

BTW, a bluelight thread, or any internet forum, is the worst place to go to for professional medical advice.

You shouldn't smoke cannabis daily either, dude.

Well in a stable adult mind daily cannabis use isnt really something dangerous

the worse thing about marijuana, is a lack thereof. Marijuana keeps me stable. Certainly, daily use is healthier than almost all psychotropic pharms. And possibly healthier than daily multi-vitamins, which have been linked to early mortality.

Taking 5htp won't do anything to your serotonin receptors, it will just help in case you are deficient in tryptophan or 5HTP.

It certainly won't alter tolerance to serotonergic drugs.