Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Doctors taking recreational drugs ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Duckboy, I'm going to close it to give people some time to cool off.

I'll open it again after Neighbours :)

Duckboy said:
Hi Ho!

i unfortuantely don't have time to make many/any useful comments here right now, but thanks NJ for the heads up :)

No worries! :D I think this thread is a great idea but it needed you badly.

There isn't a lot of things that haven't been said already, I would have posted 1st thing this morning if only work wasn't so busy :(

I personally think it should be up to the individual (which it is) as everyone is different and everyone copes with certain things better than others. Altho the world is full of dick heads, you have to be fairly intelligent to be a doctor so I think they would know their limits better than most and know what they can and can't get away with re: time between fiending and returning to work.

I don't know any doctors personally (;)) But I do know a few nurses who don't mind a bit of a fiend on a weekend and I have absolute faith in them that they don't allow it to affect their work.

Generally, I believe drug users can be just as good, if not better than non-drug users in the work force. And I believe I'm living proof of that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4080424.stm

Read.

Now, in regards to the topic, there is no real justification for a doctor to use drugs, nor is there one for anyone else. It is possible though, for someone to balance a party lifestyle with their work with no ill effects to them or people relying on them.

^ nice link Moe.

And yes, no-one can justify drug use. Hell, it's illegal.
And nowhere near as much fun as shooting holes in flying accusations :)

argh - Hit post and the thread closed .. :(
yay for reopening.

I think the thread should stay open, though its deplorable how people are picking on breakyaself, her feelings on the matter are justified and its hard being in the minority. If it was me i would probably be feeling defensive and lashing out much more. If you truly believe in your point of view you should be able to keep it impersonal. Ease up, ok?

IMO, and thats all it is :)

I really dont like the idea of limiting someone elses personal freedoms for my benefit (law is is not a limiting factor). This comes No. 1 in my mind.

2nd, It would depend on how much damage is actually done. The health industry inflicts a lot worse on the ability of doctors (via working hours) and seems to think its ok!?!

Lastly, the whole neurotoxicity thing seems redundant. Even if ability did decrease i would assume (Duckboy?) that measures are in place to catch doctors who are under performing.

ack, does feel like im repeating as well :(

You know, I'd like to think surgeons aren't getting shitfaced the night before operating. I don't particularly concern myself about those who sit in front of their desks and work out who to refer me to just by poking my stomach and hearing my symptoms. They can have all the drugs they want to have, as far as I'm concerned...

m4dd0g said:
I think the thread should stay open, though its deplorable how people are picking on breakyaself, her feelings on the matter are justified and its hard being in the minority. If it was me i would probably be feeling defensive and lashing out much more. If you truly believe in your point of view you should be able to keep it impersonal. Ease up, ok?

m4dd0g - noone has picked on breakyaself, aside from responding with similar levels of flippancy and passion as she has shown. if they had, their posts would have been edited, warnings would have been issued....etc etc.

People should start theads with no misapprehensions (particularly with such an obviously personal and controversial topic) that their views might be very unpopular - and they may well be the only one defending their point of view.

If people want to give their opinions and they all happen to be against the thread starter, sure, it's an unpleasant situation to be in, but I won't condone you saying the respondents in this thread have been "picking on" someone. Opposing an argument doth not "picking on" make.

Please leave the moderating up to us, anna! made the best decision regarding this thread, and hopefully the time out can facilitate some calmer discussion on the matter, though very many interesting points have been brought up already.

i still don't know what happened in Neighbours.

I want answers, dammit.

The only DR. that I'd trust [besides duckboy] to operate on me or my brain os the good is DR HOFFMAN!

wooo yeah!!!

</hides>

I havent really read too much of this massive thread, but to add something, It kinda worries me that perhaps I could one day be operated on by a doctor whos been out partying all night long on all sorts of things.. I know I cant function properly myself after a big night.
But with that said, U know, a tired doctor is just as bad as one whos been on the gear all night long :) and I know the chances of having a tired one is very very likely.......
Nehoo I could way off the whole flow of traffic in this thread but thats all i wanted to say :)

I know young doctors who took/take recreational drugs and some of them admitted that it has made them a little less bright at acheiving their brilliant standards that they have to set themselves. Does that mean that they can't do their job? Hell no. Many doctors are just brilliant at reproducing information that they were taught (without being ingenious per se) and if they don't think that they can recall the information perfectly, they'll just refer you to someone else rather than risk it. When your a doctor it is strictly CYA and the patient comes second, so there is almost no chance you'll be at risk because a doctor dropped half a pill on a weekend.

breakyaself said:
That was exactly my point.

I never said that doctors knew less. I have studied that area for a year so I assumed I would be on par. That was my point.

breakyaself said:
Lots of trouble - how could I pass a whole unit that only discussed how drugs effect the brain if I didnt know?

I'm a little confused. In one post you talk about studying the effects of drugs on the brain for a unit (ie. ONE SUBJECT in a semester), then you talk about having studied the area meticulously for a year. So what is it, did you study neuroscience/neuropharmacology for one unit or were there another 5-7 subjects you studied dealing with the impact of drugs on the brain?

Further to that, passing a subject at university hardly qualifies one as an expert on any subject. First of all, the subject might have trash for content (as many do). Second, it really isn't hard to pass typical undergrad subjects.

You're also overdramatizing this entire issue. You've ignored the point that many people have made in that there's no evidence of widespread drug use in the day or two preceding medical work. The discussions about holes in the brain and such have been widely argued against, meaning they shouldn't be taken as indisputable facts (and thus can't help you win your argument).

Basically to rehash stuff thats already been said.....

I do not see an issue at all with a doctor, occasionally taking the odd drug on odd weekends, provided he isn't arriving at work still under the influence, or coming down, or suffering any side effects from said drug (or activities from using the drug), if these side effects impact on decisions he/she makes when seeing patients. I DO have issues with a doctor getting completely trashed all weekend, be it drugs or alcohol or whatever, then seeing/treating patients whilst suffering the hangover/comedown/scatters/or whatever it is they get from their drug of choice.

Having said that, I don't limit such personal judgements to doctors alone. I would also stretch this to all in the medical profession, and to teachers, people that drive for a living, or heck even those that drive to get to work! As well as all the other professions that have already been listed by others. And I include myself and my mates in there, since I and them are included in there based on our jobs. Anyone who has a duty of care, or some level of responsibilty that can affect the lives of others. Do I care if my bartender is fucked on drugs? No, the worst he can do is make me a bad tasting cocktail.

I read this thread with great interest, because, although not in the medical profession, I once had a very close friend completely attack me publicly when I took my first drug in over two years, basically telling me I needed to be reported and arrested and deserved to go to hell because of my job and one pill one weekend. Yet said friend had no issues with me going out and getting shitfaced on alcohol two nights a weekend, every weekend. I *have* been a very occasional drug user because based on my job, and what I know I am like, I decided the two would never mix on a regular basis. Thus ALWAYS, if there was drug use planned, I had the first two or three days of the workng week already pre-organised to have off work. Heck a week if I could wrangle it! And recently I realised the use of drugs amongst my mates and I was beyond what I was feeling comfortable with in relation to myself personally, and my job, and thus have made the decision to abstain for a good few months.

I would be interested to hear if the original poster is against just doctor's using recreational drugs, or also against those in other professions using? Sorry if its already been said, the thread was so long when I got to it, and I may have missed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.