• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Do you worry about benzos causing dementia?

razorz

Greenlighter
I read that benzos could cause dementia but it's not clear yet. I have anxiety but because of this stuff I dont dare to take benzos argh!

Yeah, to be honest i do find the prospect of an increased risk of dementia quite troubling...
It was a big part of the reason i stopped taking them.

Ok....I have been taking Klonopin for over 11 years.

I took it every day for 11 years...SURPRISINGLY my CRIMINALLY negligent doctors fucked up and basically cut me off cold turkey leaving me to a VERY crude taper of basically slowly cutting down on what I had which SHOULD have led to a seizure....)

BUt SOMEHOW I was the 1 in 100 case of a guy who had almost ZERO withdrawal.

I still don't know why.

I tried 9 months without my Klonopin but I needed it.

Now I take it "as needed" but truth but told I take it ALMOST every day.

Basically....it's a lot like before except before I NEVER went a day without and now it's more like 1 or 2 days a week where I either take none or half my dose.

BUt my doctor fucked up the first time by telling me I wouldn't go into withdrawal from only 24 hours without such a long lasting benzo......or I WOULD have tried days without here and there.....AGAIN a fuck up of the medical system....

Anyways....yeah....It's on my mind but it DOESN'T happen to everyone.

I'm not sacrificing quality of life at the moment to have GREAT difficulty in social situations by abstaining but I try to skip my dosages when possible or take as little as possible with the hopes of EVENTUALLY quitting.

It can't NOT be in the back of your mind....but at the same time Klonopin has given me such an increased quality of life that I kind of accept the risks involved at the moment.

People seem to drink without end without really give a true thought to possibly having liver failure at 55 but a drug that TRULY helps us medically we are supposed to drop cold turkey?

I don't know....it's a concern for sure, but equally on my mind is the relief it brings.

If they can prove that a significantly larger portion of people who take it might get alzheimers I MIGHT try to stop but I'm still thinking it's not the norm so I'm going to keep using it for now.

Mycophile, thats good u found a helpful pill that spares u WD syndrome. Razorz, I think you will find relief from yoga and mindfulness meditation. Trust all the dudes on here who say benzo withdrawals were worse than heroin. Klonopins feel great, but most people find that benzos cause blackouts and lead to odd decisions. I love them, but abstain as I find that I usually end up drinking for some reason, which for me is deadly.