Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do you Twitter?

vurtomatic

Bluelight Crew
Curious if this has taken off around the region or mainly in the U.S.

For the uninitiated, Twitter is a micro-blogging app that is a cross-between of IM and blogging. It touts hyper-connectivity: Users are only allowed to post very short one-liners so instead of read ingon and on and on about their day, you find out how they're doing or feeling, right now.

You can post from the website, from Gtalk, livejournal, jaba (I think) or on the Mac, use Twitterrific and on the PC, which I just came across, this Tweetbar which is a Firefox extension (unfortunately no standalone app for the PC except one that rus on AIR).

Held back on this because there weren't any PC clients, but I'm gonna jump in with the Tweetbar and find out what the fuss' about.

Last edited:
I like to keep the different sections of my life separate. This group of friends, that group of friends, this side of the family, that side, etc. Facebook is giving me enough trouble.

No twitter for me.

i had no-one to twitter with, but it's a great idea.

warren ellis and henry rollins had great twitters, but it seems they are kind of unused these days. it's also handy that they run through Jabber and GTalk (both use the XMPP protocol) so using chat clients like Pidgin make it extraordinarily easy.

i think it's just too head of it's time, as it would be ideally suited for mobile phones or other portable devices with a permanent connection to the internet. also, not being able to sort contacts into groups is a shortcoming, as you see a lot of people prefixing messages with "@[username]". Pownce (created by the team at Digg) makes overcomes this issue and is really nicely made, but since it doesn't run on an open protocol like XMPP, it isnt really something i want to jump back into.

all in all, it's a great idea, but a poorly executed one if you use it for what it's designed to do. if you treat it as a more personal, streamlined version of RSS, then it's great.

I used it for a while to keep up with/chat with various BLers and ex-BLers. Kinda fun, but ultimately not being able to separate my contacts means i use it less than I could. I wouldn't mind adding various tech/info/library bloggers, or my colleagues, but I don't want them on the same list as people talking about fisting and all the drugs they do :D

vanth said:
I like to keep the different sections of my life separate. This group of friends, that group of friends, this side of the family, that side, etc. Facebook is giving me enough trouble.

No twitter for me.
Yeah ditto. Already having problems with facebook as it is.

I know it's a bitch but maybe if you created different accounts? I guess it's very much like blogging, you don't want the 'wrong' people reading inappropriate stuff. Or don't give out your Twitter feed ... I think how you manage Twitter would be very similar to managing your blog, granted there's no option to make private posts. It's an interesting concept IMO.

i use twitter on my phone and turn on and off the notifications depending how bored i am.

This reminds me, i need to remove someone from my list who likes to get in conversations with people over twitter. Use the direct message feature if you want to chat back and forth, I don't want 20 text messages of your conversation!