Do you think AAS use blocks / inhibits the ability to be spiritual?

Do AAS make it harder to be spiritual?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • IDK I don't bother with spirituality

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
This is kind of a strange line of questioning here.. but I like to think deeply and abstract anyways.

So a few years ago when I was off substances and sober, I found myself becoming fairly spiritual and enlightened in a sense, feeling a connection with a God basically... (Not of any religious background or denomination.. I simply believe there is something out their greater than us).

By no means am I entirely blaming steroids for this disconnection as I use various substances and drink as well, so I'm sure that has played a part but..

Do you guys think using steroids makes it harder to build spirituality? Do you think it essentially "disconnects" you from God in a way?

Please don't bash me on this one I'm a huge fan of steroids and they have revolutionized my life with proper protocols, I'm just curious what people think on this one.

I wish I had more of an answer for you, but I wouldn't THINK it so. You stated, "So a few years ago when I was off substances and sober, I found myself becoming fairly spiritual and enlightened in a sense." Since Testosterone isn't a mind-altering substance, wouldn't it have the effects as if you weren't taking anything?

Just throwing idea's/opinions out there.

Not at all. We grow and change over time, generally early on people are more spiritual because we cling to something to help us through the early days. After some time, we become less "God reliant" if you will as we don't need a God as much anymore. We take the training wheels off the bike so to speak. I still have my moments of a spiritual connection, but they aren't the same as in early recovery because frankly I don't really need it as much anymore.

Not at all. I’ve gone from essentially rejecting beliefs I was raised on to being much, much more rooted in them now.

This has been largely due to revisiting a lot of hard, hard questions that threw me off and dealing with them.

Additionally the upper level science courses I’ve had over the past couple years have essentially brought me full circle as I don’t believe anything as complex as life could ever get remotely close to existing without a creator/higher power at minimum.

For me evolutionary theory would take 1000x more faith than I’m capable of and the belief in God is significantly more logical to me than random chance.

Just my thoughts/experience the past 5 years or so.

Not at all. We grow and change over time, generally early on people are more spiritual because we cling to something to help us through the early days. After some time, we become less "God reliant" if you will as we don't need a God as much anymore. We take the training wheels off the bike so to speak. I still have my moments of a spiritual connection, but they aren't the same as in early recovery because frankly I don't really need it as much anymore.

What you said really resonates with me and makes a lot of sense. When I was more spiritual I was in much more need of guidance and kind of lost in life to be honest. I think I've lost some of it since just because of how I've grown as a person and sort of evolved from my past. That said, I don't believe someone in a great position and who is strong willed and minded wouldn't benefit from spiritual practices and faith. It really can only benefit and strengthen a person there's not much downside to the peace of mind it can offer. But like I said, great point