• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do you think 440 mg methadone could be dangerous or even deadly?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
If my usual daily dose is 220 mg? Sometimes when I get take-home doses, I take 220+150 (370 mg) followed by the extra 50 mg or so about 8 hours later, and it never even fazes me; I do it for the extra boost it gives me, but a lot of the time I can only just barely tell I've had so much more than usual. Due to my high tolerance with such a high regular dose, I've never really questioned the safety of it and I'm usually pretty damn safe....but somehow moving that extra 50 mg just a few hours earlier seems like it could be a lot more dangerous. I'd appreciate any advice because I know double dosing methadone carries is extremely common, just maybe not with that high of a dose.

I mean...I wouldn't do it honestly, it's not like it's going to be worth it anyway..one thing about maintaince drugs is its good to keep your dose kinda low so you can still get a little glow and not just feel the same way all the time. With Subs anyway, the less you take the better it is, and I knew someone on Methadone Maintaince that said when they were on lower doses like 40-50mg a day they would still get a little buzz, but once they went up to 80 it pretty much went away,except the first hour or two after dosing..I mean I know this is no help to you since your on a high dose, but really you would just be wasting your methadone...

It's absolutely true that almost everybody I've asked this whether online or in real life, has said the same thing...but I must be a freak or at least have abnormal metabolic biochemistry; I've been on methadone for well over a year without missing a dose, and I still look forward to getting pretty damn high from it (at least as much as I did from heroin a few minutes after the main rush, and sometimes even better). This happens sometimes even when I simply take my normal maintenance dose. As you said, it is definitely more noticeable for the first several hours, but it never goes away during the day. If I'm not otherwise occupied, or sometimes even if I am, I still can feel it somewhat strongly if I "look" for it. It comes back that night before bed as well - particularly if I take diphenhydramine (although this seems to make it wear off faster as well).

The flip side of this is that I very often wake up in the morning mildly sweating, lacking any motivation (even to walk the 5 minutes it takes to get my next dose) and even have occasional sneezing fits. It certainly isn't anywhere near as bad as it would be if I abstained for 2 days or more, but it's definitely there. I used to think it was purely physchological because I couldn't understand how I could be feeling ANY withdrawal as early as 12-15 hours after a 220 mg dose of methadone; but lo and behold, I checked my pupils many times during this phenomenon, and they were the size of bowling balls with little to no iris visible at all. Conversely, when I go to bed or get up after a much higher than usual dose, they stay quite tiny or at the very least take MUCH longer to respond to a suddenly dimmed light.

The upshot of all this of course is that while some on MMT may be jealous of the continued euphoria I seem to get, the relatively extremely frequent sickness I can get as well mitigates that. The bottom line here though is that while I have many concerns regarding taking more methadone than I am theoretically supposed to, not feeling anything and wasting methadone is definitely not one of them.

Is it possible you can start doing split dosing if your clinic offers it??? I know some people metabolize methadone quicker than others and are put on split dosing...sounds like you might be one of those people if your getting sneezing and all that after taking a few hundered milligrams of methadone a day...

Well not quite since 220 is my normal dose. I've tried to do that, but for some reason (and I honestly can't reconcile this with known biological facts) I do better if I take more methadone on one day and then miss the next day entirely that I do if I take the lower but normal, prescribed dose at around the same time per day. I have many more purely psychological issues on days where I haven't dosed, but I can still easily tell it's still in my system - not because I still really feel it at that point but because of the relative lack of withdrawal and other objective effects like smaller pupils.

could you die: YES

when i was younger i bought some 10mg methadones from this guy and he told me they were the same strength as hydrocodone. i ended up taking 6-7 of them with no tolerance and felt like i was pretty close to the otherside. methadone is notorious for killing people, even with a tolerance like yours doubling your dose isnt safe on a drug with a half life like that. i dont actually think it will kill you (would kill alot of us) but i dont think you will get high from it either, so all around it isnt worth it.

I wouldn't do it either...440 mg is a LOT of methadone, and even assuming you do it with no ill effects, why bother if you'll barely notice it?

when i was younger i bought some 10mg methadones from this guy and he told me they were the same strength as hydrocodone. i ended up taking 6-7 of them with no tolerance and felt like i was pretty close to the otherside. methadone is notorious for killing people, even with a tolerance like yours doubling your dose isnt safe on a drug with a half life like that. i dont actually think it will kill you (would kill alot of us) but i dont think you will get high from it either, so all around it isnt worth it.

That's so messed up, guy telling you they're the same strength as vicodin, what a joke. Im pretty sure 60mgs of methadone would have killed me w/o a tolerance. In fact, I think it might kill me now.......I tend to be sensitive to opiates/opiods.

To the OP.......doubling the dose from 220 to 440 isn't using harm.reduction. Be smart, & stay safe......

Yes, it could kill you. It would definitely kill someone with no opiate tolerance, like me.

I may not kill you (considering you say that you take 370mg's at times)... but then again, it may...??? I know that when I take ~250mg's of methadone, at two doses of about 12 ten milli pills at 8 hrs or more apart, I stay up for like 24 hours or more without falling asleep... I don't know why but I think part is me being scared to sleep and the other part is the mental energy I get from methadone (which happens to me on most any opiate, with the exception of shooting enough dope...which will make me pass the fuck out...lol).

I would advise against it. I find that I get more out of 70-100mg's a day then 120-180mg's... I don't know why but I feel more of a nice feeling and not so amp'd... But that is just my 2 cents...... Stay Safe, aye/ =D

Dangerous as fuck of your dealer.... They are not the same even in action as not only is methadone more active in the opiate area, but it's affect is spread out. You are lucky you didn't die that day.