• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

do you have binoculars? they pretty cool?

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i want some, but i'm not buying things i want but don't need.

you can snag a pair for like $30. i bet they sell within 48 hours on craigslist when you're moved on. would be a cool think to have in the city.

are the cheaps legit? like these? i actually have some coupon that would make them about $10 because i'm an REI member (if you run and/or cycle, you'd be crazy not to be). if i need to spend more for them to actually work, i could find a real pair used.

do you have a pair? which? why? my parents do. my dad for hunting. my mom for spying on the neighborhood.

My girlfriend has a pair that seems pretty cheap. They work alright for watching birds and stuff, but I feel like they probably are a lot better if you have a nice pair.

i don't want to spend a lot of money. do you know what model your girlfriend has?

edit:
actually don't wanna soend any money. probably won't get any unless i need to buy new fenders for my recently crashed bike. rei has a coupon right now that would make them free if i bought the fenders from them

Last edited:
you can see a lot of great stuff in the night sky with a half-decent pair of binoculars...

alasdair

I find binoculars very annoying because they're hard to aim when both eyes are zoomed in and also having to adjust the eyepieces separately for each eye is a hassle. I'd rather buy a nicer monocular, it's more portable and way quicker to aim since my other eye can stay focused on the object in the distance.

It's a lot like SLR vs point-n-shoot for me. Maybe the SLR offers better quality but maybe I just have a few seconds to whip out the camera and take the shot so capturing *something* with a point-n-shoot still beats not being able to set the SLR up for the shot in time to capture anything at all.

i'm not gonna buy them. i don't need the bike part. the shop gave me a used fender for free because they are only sold/replaced in sets . the coupon won't work unless i buy something else from rei. i don't need anything. bought a torque wrench. from my my local bike shop, who gets my business because they do things like give me $60 fenders for free. rei doesn't do that.

you're better off, a torque wrench is valuable, especially for fragile fasteners... i've ruined some expensive shit assuming i could do it without knowing the exact torque :(

Buy the torque wrench. I bought one in 1971 and I still use it today (when I can find it, LOL)

Torque wrench will last you much longer than a cheap pair of binoculars.... you never skimp on glass.... buy once, cry once

Those things are 10$ from china, but they're better than the old ancient pair of shitty binoculars I have. Yeah they work, you can see pretty clear over a couple hundred meters. Cheap plastic, flimsy, will probably break with a couple years of use..