• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do us Aussies speak betterer English than the poms?

There are many different explanations but the most commonly held one in academic cirles is that Pom is a dimunitive of the word "Pomegranate" which itself was just rhyming slang for 'Immigrant'.

You do know what rhyming slang is dont you?

sure, but pomegranate and immigrant don't really rhyme all so i think at this point you guys are just making up your own rhyming slang that doesn't really rhyme at all.

drugfukkdrockstar said:
All i know is the pommy accent pisses me off. I am glad i have a Aussie accent.

On men it's not so bad, but on women? Terrible. Annoying, irritating, frustrating... Ugh.

But they sound the same!

^i think it may vary by region.
kytnism sounded wicked british to me, but beatlebot sounds totally, sorta fosters commercial aussie.

the bottom line is, they both enjoy the devil's concoction that is vegemite, and therefore, are not to be trusted.

^^^^^^^^ (giggles). He said vegemite in an American accent.

guineaPig said:
anyone wanna explain to me why you call the british "poms" ?

I always went for the Prisoner of Mother England theory..

LiquidMethod said:
Most (if not all) English people will say they speak better English than Aussies because they speak Queen's English and they pronounce their words properly.
haha, what?

they don't even speak the queen's english on the TV now, let alone in real life. dunno how you came to that conclusion.
LiquidMethod said:
Funny thing is (apparently) around 200 years ago when the Yanks split from the Brits their accents were reversed, then they evolved to sound like what they do today.
eh? what do you mean, 'reversed'??? that makes no sense, man. are you saying that british people used to speak with an 'american' accent?

he has never been to liverpool.. or south london.. or anywhere in england really :p

i tried to listen to the british Office but i had to turn it up really loud, because some of them are hard for me to understand :(