Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

do these 4 personality traits=drug abuse

astroboy007

Bluelighter
i was once told by a doctor who was very experienced dealing with people with drug problems that everyone who had problems with drugs had *poor frustration tolerance*poor impulse controll*poor self esteem*instant need for gratification.what do you guys think

bullshit. drugs dont give me more self esteem or instant gratification. i enjoy frustrating things. i do how ever have poor impluse control but not with drugs.

I'm impulsive, have had self esteem issues, and I get frustrated easily.

I guess that means I'm up shit creek without a paddle...

This is absolute bullshit. This is the way that psychology conceptualises drug users because for psychologists, people who use drugs are inherently deficient in some way. The science subscribes to the dominant ideology of society that drug use is always a sign of a defective person.

Developing a drug problem is primarily about the social circumstances you find yourself in, the drug's place in those social circumstances, and the meaning that the drug develops in your life.

ANYONE can develop a drug problem and drug use does not make you a defective person.

I think your doctor was making a broad generalization there, and I have discovered ALL broad generaliztions are false.

Some people do seem more sceceptable to habit forming behaviour is probably what he was getting at.

I want instant gratification and I want it NOW dammit.

I'd say that i have "poor frustration tolerance, poor impulse controll and poor self esteem." Yet I only take drugs if I'm going out to an event and they are appropriate. Like drinking is appropriate in pub. Never had a problem with them yet.......

Nice Tits

I am currently doing an essay on what casues drug use in criminology from a psychological perspective and I have been doing research into different personality types susceptability to drug abuse.
First i take it the doctor meant druge abuse not drug use. It has been found that people who do have poor impulse control, poor self esteem and poor frustration tolerance are more likely to abuse drugs than people who are not. That said social cricumstances such as peer groups and family situations, genetics as well as a fuck load of variables come into why people do end up having drug problems. That said, just becasue someone does have these problems or chaacteristics does not mean that they are going to have drug problems they are just more liely than the average person.
Also did you know that extroverted people are more likely to use drugs than an introverted person because they are not aroused easily by moderate stimuli so more stimulationis required to get excited or whatever. So they use drugs to attain this level of arousal.
Take home message- there are many factors that make someone more prone to drug abuse but you cannot say that just becasue someone has these characteristics they are going to have drug abuse problems or that all drug abusers have these characteristics.
Peace out.

Well sounds like the doctor is right if you use me as an example, I have the following:

poor frustration tolerance
poor impulse controll
poor self esteem
instant need for gratification

But I think a majority of people suffer from these things, drug user or not. It's like those star sign readings, the contents fit pretty much anybody and if you are a bit nieve you think this person is a genius they understand me...

Poor frustration tolerance - If it's too hard, fuck it, I'll quit and do something else.

Poor impulse controll - Crime, violence general lack of self control.

Ppoor self esteem - Problems with self image, confidence and feelings of self worth.

Instant need for gratification - I need to be validated NOW!

I think you're doctor is right, everyone who had problems with drugs has these character traits. But I also believe that the majority of society today also shares these same attributes.

"Hi everybody", "Hi Doctor Nick!"

ALL broad generaliztions are false
=D

Importantly, all these traits are things that can be addressed. I think a lot of those describe me as a teenager and young adult, but I've grown out of them. Treating the causes of these characteristics, rather than the drug abuse itself, is probably a good way to go about it.

Also Pseudo G is right, these characteristics do accurately describe the majority of young people I know - perhaps one reason why 20% of this demographic report drug use.

drug abuse is really not a textbook thing, and if it was the textbooks would be so heavy in volume that no one person could carry them and would probably die under the severe weight of such volumes of paper.

the four qualities that your doctor described i find common in most if not all people. different people deal with these things in different ways, eg shopping, working, taking drugs, or having sex, etc etc. no one way is guarenteed to satisfy you because life is always about growing and developing your personality long after you think you've 'grown up'. so people jump from solution to solution and do whatever makes them feel best at that moment.

your social environment plays a big role in this, because social circumstances, advertising, friends, all that crap, influence your perception of how you can best achieve happiness or 'fit in' with the rest of society. isolating one path to happiness and then invalidating it by saying its based on character flaws is just ridiculous.

Hahaha... Who doesn't have poor impulse control and self esteem issues... :D

It depends more to what degree you are aware of what you are doing to yourself and how much you value yourself and those around you.

I agree in a way, but I also believe that the same can be said of ANY addict. Gambling/Coffee etc... I keep telling myself I will quit coffee. But in reality, coffee is not as much of a psychic/physical burden as say, methamphetamine.

If anyone could predict who would be an addict then they would understand the fundemental relationships between humans and intoxicants of any kind. Something I doubt any human on earth is capable of.

The problem is that everyone and their brain chemistry are quite different.