• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Do Opioids work for Gabapentin withdrawal the same way Gabapentinoids work for Opioid withdrawal?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I only have seven (300mg) Gabapentin pills left of my 28 day prescription and my next lot isn't due until the 27th (I can probably get it around the 23rd) and I'm gonna use this as a positive and use the 10-15 days as a tolerance break. Not sure if I'll experience withdrawal or not (I haven't before) but if I do, would my Dihydrocodeine help? Alcohol helps with benzodiazepine withdrawal just like benzodiazepines help with alcohol withdrawal (I've successfully used shots of vodka almost like medicine to safely detox from Xanax before in an emergency situation where I absolutely could not access any benzo's) so I was hoping the same vice versa effect would work with opioids and gabapentinoids? I feel like it won't, but does anybody have any experience or a more informed opinion than my own?
Also wondering roughly how long Gabapentin withdrawal takes to set in and what the symptoms are to look out for?
My biggest concern is potential seizures as I have had around eight massive acute grand mal seizures from alcohol withdrawal before and three grand mal seizures from benzo withdrawal before.

opiates will inhibit to withdrawal of anxiety , restless leg, nerve pain, depression because they do opposite of this effect, but will not inhibit seizures because they don't have anti seizure effect.

generally any drug/med/herb with enough potency and the same type of antianxiety effect (there deference btw social one and other types) will able to inhibit anxiety of the withdrawal
Gabapentin
opiates will inhibit to withdrawal of anxiety , restless leg, nerve pain, depression because they do opposite of this effect, but will not inhibit seizures because they don't have anti seizure effect.

generally any drug/med/herb with enough potency and the same type of antianxiety effect (there deference btw social one and other types) will able to inhibit anxiety of the withdrawal
Gabapentin (Neurontin) is classified as an anticonvulsant. It’s original use was for seizures so they do have an anti seizure effect.

I only have seven (300mg) Gabapentin pills left of my 28 day prescription and my next lot isn't due until the 27th (I can probably get it around the 23rd) and I'm gonna use this as a positive and use the 10-15 days as a tolerance break.

My biggest concern is potential seizures as I have had around eight massive acute grand mal seizures from alcohol withdrawal before and three grand mal seizures from benzo withdrawal before.

I've heard people say that opiates/benzos don't help withdrawals from gabapentinoids nearly as much as vice versa, but intuitively, I still think opiates are likely to help quite a bit. I've never had to go through gabapentin withdrawals (thank God), so I don't have firsthand knowledge. But I did come off an SSRI+atypical antipsychotic+multiple benzos while I was shooting heroin and too lethargic to keep filling the prescriptions...

The dope kept me pretty comfortable and I never had a seizure (despite taking the equivalent of 30mg+ diazepam everyday for years). I had been at the maximum dose of my SSRI (fluvoxamine at the time) and quitting it so abruptly did cause a certain amount of "brain zaps." On a few occasions, it was bad enough that I dug up an old bottle of venlafaxine and took a bit to remedy it... but shooting more dope probably would've helped me ignore it just as well.

Obviously, taking DHC tablets is not equivalent to shooting heroin, but I think the fundamental principle is sound: anything that helps you feel comfortable and unworried is going to help withdrawal from any substance...and opiates certainly fit that bill. I don't know if they actually raise the seizure threshold in a circumstance like this, but I wouldn't be surprised. Good luck!

I've heard people say that opiates/benzos don't help withdrawals from gabapentinoids nearly as much as vice versa, but intuitively, I still think opiates are likely to help quite a bit. I've never had to go through gabapentin withdrawals (thank God), so I don't have firsthand knowledge. But I did come off an SSRI+atypical antipsychotic+multiple benzos while I was shooting heroin and too lethargic to keep filling the prescriptions...

The dope kept me pretty comfortable and I never had a seizure (despite taking the equivalent of 30mg+ diazepam everyday for years). I had been at the maximum dose of my SSRI (fluvoxamine at the time) and quitting it so abruptly did cause a certain amount of "brain zaps." On a few occasions, it was bad enough that I dug up an old bottle of venlafaxine and took a bit to remedy it... but shooting more dope probably would've helped me ignore it just as well.

Obviously, taking DHC tablets is not equivalent to shooting heroin, but I think the fundamental principle is sound: anything that helps you feel comfortable and unworried is going to help withdrawal from any substance...and opiates certainly fit that bill. I don't know if they actually raise the seizure threshold in a circumstance like this, but I wouldn't be surprised. Good luck!

Thanks! :)
Ooof SSRI withdrawal. I'm on Sertraline and the though of something happening (natural disaster, zombie apocalypse) where there's no way for me to get any scares me more than even not being able to get my addicting meds (Gabapentin, DHC, Codeine, Morphine etc). Once when in hospital for totally unrelated reasons I suddenly started feeling low and over several days became very tearful and almost suicidal and I started having panic attacks which I hadn't in years. The next day I noticed my Sertraline wasn't in the morning meds they gave me (I take 14 in the morning, so it's easy to miss one) and the nurse told me that I hadn't accidentally been taken off it 6 days ago. It was a HORRIBLE experience. I had been on it for 4 years at the time and I have been on it for 12 years now so I dread to think.

Reactions: klh