• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Do Opioids Interfere with Anti-psychotic Medication?

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I'm currently on olanzapine (20 mg), Seroquel (200 mg) and Valdoxan (50 mg) for my so-believed "psychosis," which has, apparently, given rise to auditory hallucinations or delusions (the shrinks aren't exactly sure what it is.) However, the shrinks don't know that I'm taking diazepam about twice a week and abusing oxycodone about twice a week.

Do the recreational drugs I'm taking interfere with the efficacy of antipsychotics? That is, do they render them useless or less than effective? Because I must say, since I've been on these antipsychotics, at various doses for the past 3 months, I'm still hearing slanderous talk and people are still looking at me contemptuously, every day, several times a day.

This leaves me to believe either one of two things: 1) I'm not suffering from paranoid delusions or hallucinations and that what's happening to me is based in reality; that is, these things are actually occurring and it's not all in my head. 2) The diazepam and oxycodone I abuse is rendering the medication ineffective. I'm tending to lean towards the former, since I haven't read of any indications that suggest opioid abuse (and diazepam use) exacerbates paranoid delusions, or that it renders antipsychotics ineffective.

Does anyone know if my substance use could possibly be rendering my antipsychotic medication useless?

I would love to live a life where I could feel that I wasn't being victimized by complete strangers daily. I have no friends, girlfriend or anyone. I live a solitary life because society has imposed hostile alienation upon me.

I'm not sure, but I know that anti-psychotic medication interferes with the recreational/analgesic effects of opioids by blocking Dopamine receptors.

no opioid/opiates and benzos don't make anti psychotic drugs less effective

I'm not sure, but I know that anti-psychotic medication interferes with the recreational/analgesic effects of opioids by blocking Dopamine receptors.

Do all anti-psychotics fully block dopamine receptors? I'm not sure but this would be extremely important to know. Also i doubt they fully block the receptors completely, so that brings out the new question of which blocks dopamine the least and can i switch to that anti-psychotics

Not sure about that, but certainly don't try to counteract those perceived effects by taking more of either drug. Many neuroleptics greatly potentiate the analgesic and sedative effects of opiates.

Nah bro. Opiates never bother me when I'm talking to voices.

Opioids should not affect the efficacy of your antipsychotics, but they can increase overall sedation and as others said antipsychotics can interfere with the opioid high. However, if you are still feeling like lots of people are still looking at you with contempt and hearing people slandering you, I think you should go back and see your psychiatrist. There is a third possibility - that your current medications are not controlling your symptoms.

Although they should not interfere directly with antipsychotics, abusing meds (and especially the shift between days when you are high and days when you are not) can be very destabilising - it's really not a good plan when you are on antipsychotics. I would definitely suggest going back to your doctor and being honest about what you are currently experiencing, and either stopping the benzos/opioids or at least telling your doctor that you are taking them.

Good luck <3

I'm currently on olanzapine (20 mg), Seroquel (200 mg) and Valdoxan (50 mg) for my so-believed "psychosis," which has, apparently, given rise to auditory hallucinations or delusions (the shrinks aren't exactly sure what it is.) However, the shrinks don't know that I'm taking diazepam about twice a week and abusing oxycodone about twice a week.

Do the recreational drugs I'm taking interfere with the efficacy of antipsychotics? That is, do they render them useless or less than effective? Because I must say, since I've been on these antipsychotics, at various doses for the past 3 months, I'm still hearing slanderous talk and people are still looking at me contemptuously, every day, several times a day.

This leaves me to believe either one of two things: 1) I'm not suffering from paranoid delusions or hallucinations and that what's happening to me is based in reality; that is, these things are actually occurring and it's not all in my head. 2) The diazepam and oxycodone I abuse is rendering the medication ineffective. I'm tending to lean towards the former, since I haven't read of any indications that suggest opioid abuse (and diazepam use) exacerbates paranoid delusions, or that it renders antipsychotics ineffective.

Does anyone know if my substance use could possibly be rendering my antipsychotic medication useless?

I would love to live a life where I could feel that I wasn't being victimized by complete strangers daily. I have no friends, girlfriend or anyone. I live a solitary life because society has imposed hostile alienation upon me.

Hey Michael, my brother has "psychosis" too. I'm a man of philosophy so I have not listened to the mainstream thinking that has alienated you, and we as a family have done something rare by keeping my brothers trust. I would like to be your friend dude, please add me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005033295992 - Taking that cocktail of drugs, probably not good for your health long term. There is a way to improve health though, and it will also help you feel at peace too. You might be able to get off the medications or at least most of them. You need to eat the right diet. No Dairy, No trans fats, no meat, no cooking oils or cooking fats. Basically whole fruit and veggies and if you cook them, cook with water in a pan, boil with water, steam with water or roast without added oils or fats(bake). Potato's, rice, carrots, broccoli, banana's, apples, sweet potato, a small amount of raw nuts...................Greens every day is a must, after that you can choice any fruits and veggies you like, added nuts is not a must but it's good for health, legumes are also something that's good for health and can be added in. - I recommend this diet to everyone, it gives the body the fuel it needs to do great things.

Last edited:
From my experiences you just don't get as high off the opiates as someone not on antipsychotics would. I am on a once a month 300mg injection of apriprozale (Abilify Maintenna) and when comparing what a high feels like with my colleagues it seems I get less of an effect, while taking a larger dose. On the flip side I don't really experience withdrawals, but needing 5 pills to my buddies 1, is it really worth it to use opiates?

Do all anti-psychotics fully block dopamine receptors? I'm not sure but this would be extremely important to know. Also i doubt they fully block the receptors completely, so that brings out the new question of which blocks dopamine the least and can i switch to that anti-psychotics

Some "dirty" drugs, including many first-generation neuroleptics, antagonize several receptors. However, methotrimeprazine (levomepromazine) has massively opioid-potentiating effects; it may slightly numb the sharpest tip of the euphoria, but it'll get you nice and sedated (with great analgesic properties) by taking 40% less of your opioid with a good 10mg of Nozinan.

Those are actually quite low doses for someone 'in crisis' - which is how the docs would paperwork you if you presented with active delusions and hallucinations. I realise that, from the sounds of it, you're not particularly happy with the meds, but you may want to discuss raising your dose with the doctors. I mean, there's not really anything to lose, is there? Either the weird shit you're experiencing goes away, or it doesn't and you look for other alternatives.

You may also want to consider that the agomelatine might not be the best antidepressant for you - were you prescribed it for depression or sleep issues? If you have a comorbid depressive issues, or if your psychosis is in the schizoaffective arm of the spectrum, you may be experiencing intrusive thoughts from depression. These are especially unpleasant when you're experiencing weird reality stuff, and they can make it really hard to tell if your antipsychotic is working.

Good luck. Try and keep your head above the waters.