• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do opiates cause dopamine depletion similar to how stimulants do?

TageMyBoy

Bluelighter
I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the comedown feelings from stim use. I know a lot of it is due to so much dopamine being released at the time and then afterwards you're left with a lowered level for a bit.

I know opiates also release some dopamine but do they also have the after effect of leaving your levels temporarily lowered? I feel like it's different since i seem to just return to baseline after opiate use. But I want to know for sure, even if the level drop is subtle.

And I'm referring to very occasional use. I'm not talking about using opiates for days on end. Just a use of pharms no more than 4 times a year and maybe some kratom every couple of weeks or so.

Do I have anything to worry about? Addiction aside of course, that's a different risk that I'm aware of but it's not one of my concerns relative to this specific post.

Thank you in advance for any input and experiences!

Dopamine levels shouldnt be affected too much by occasional use. So there isnt that hard comedown. Often opiates are used, to counter the effects of a stim comedown. It's a different story with daily use.. I think you should be fine, just always be aware.of that addiction trap, I know youre aware of.it,.and seem to have everything under control at the moment, but 99%addicts, were in the same situation! Stay safe bud.

- Hopeless

Wow, thank you guys for the quick responses.

A related thing that i'm interested in right now is taking small amounts of kratom while on vyvanse (adderall xr essentially). Vyvanse is used occasionally (once a month-ish) for studying purposes. But I find that I get what i would either describe as a type of mild anxiety or sporadic feelings while on it. Nothing major, but still annoying.

I figured the relaxing effects of kratom would kind of help to mitigate the negatives of vyvanse BUT if you believe it would actually exacerbate things then I would avoid using it in conjunction. And i'm sure you guys are thinking of benzos instead but my access to those are limited and they're a bit too unsobering sometimes lol.

Any thoughts and opinions on this are appreciated!

Kratom "could" negate the side effects of.vyvanse, but it could negate the main effects too, depending on what kind of kratom it was, different strains are known to have different effects. There was a guy on here trying to find out how to potentiate vyvanse for what seemed to be like weeks, He recieved nearly zero input! I guess most of our background on vyvanse is limited..

- Hopeless soul

It's a shame there isn't more research on recreational/medicinal drugs in general.

But the stuff currently is called Maeng Da kratom (powdered form)(ingredient: mitragyna speciosa). Not sure if that really narrows it down or helps but that's all I can get from the label.

Last edited:
Opoids work by turning off inhibitory neurons that normally inhibit the dopamine neurons - amphetamines work more directly by causing dopamine to spill out of the dopamine neurons. So you can probably achieve higher synaptic dopamine concentrations with amphetamines. This means that dopamine receptor down regulation is probably more a factor with amphetamine use. Opoid tolerance is a bit different and has different aspects. It might not be mediated by dopamine receptor downregulation as much as amphetamine tolerance.

You might see if Ritalin works better for you. I personally think it's a better drug.

Mitragyna speciosa is the scientific name of kratom. Maeng da karatom is the strain, it translates into "pimp grade kratom" lol. It is known to be speedy and energetic, so this may induce those negative side effects of vyvanse. This is only a theory.and theres only one way to know for sure. Oddly enough, this strain also has moderate reaction with dopamine levels, just something to bear in mind, based off your original post.

- Hopeless

With daily use it changes you into something else it feels like... I'd guess it does lower the dopamine level because I get mad depression lasting upto 3 weeks