• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do non central acting antihistamines produce tolerance?

VelocideX

Bluelighter
I'm thinking particularly of fexofenadine. Does it produce tolerance, dependence/rebound effects after long-term use?

What about things like diphenhydramine?

(This isn't strictly a recreational drug question)

Tolerance, no.
dependence/rebound effects, I can't find anything to indicate one way or another, but I doubt it.

What about things like diphenhydramine? Well it's possible that you could get tolerance to some of the recreational effects, but not to the pure anti-histamine effects.

You will develop a tolerance to antihistamines.

What we normally advise is that you switch between (I'm guessing you like the non-drowsy variety) telfast, claramax, clarityne and zyrtec (somewhat higher incidence of drowsiness though) every 6 weeks.
I'd stay away from the steroidal nose sprays as they ruin the sensitivity of the nose, however if you are a smoker anyway go for your life.

^ News to me. Do you have any clinical trials to support that prescription pattern?

Well if you aren't a pharmacist or doctor it should be news to you. It's common knowledge for pharmacists. If you want to find out the specifics of a study I'd suggest looking through the various online medical journals (medline is a good one). I know that around 6 weeks isn't long enough for significant tolerance to develop. The exact time isn't critical as we are only treating allergies here, as long as chronic sufferers (long-term users) are aware that they will need to rotate between different types.

A quick google search came up with this information verifying my claim (that's all it would have taken to answer his question):

Antihistamines

Last edited:
It's no news to me that 1st generation antihistamines produce tolerance 1, but as far as I was awear no published clinical trial had shown that 2nd generation antihistamines produced subsensitivity. While I am only awear of publications on terfenadine, cetirizine and loratadine, because of the link between terfenadine and fexofenadine, I thought it was reasonable to assume that it would also not produce subsensitivity.

As I said, if you had any references, I would love to be schooled, as histamine is one of the major focuses of the research in my lab.