• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do designer drugs present a more dangerous threat than heroin?

also, with the method of consumption used for heroin, there are problems...... kids going to the beach stepping on needles etc.... no one is ever gonna step on an empty baggie and contract a disease

im really not educated to argue this topic with alot of u guys, just thought i would pitch that in there

eze451 said:
also, with the method of consumption used for heroin, there are problems...... kids going to the beach stepping on needles etc.... no one is ever gonna step on an empty baggie and contract a disease

im really not educated to argue this topic with alot of u guys, just thought i would pitch that in there

No, that's a perfectly valid point to make, especially if the question is not confined to reflecting the acute health of the user.

As Biscuit said, if the question is to extend to encompass the global effects of each drug, then this really does make it complex.

Should Afghan farmers be allowed to grow opium? Exploited by the traffickers they maybe, but when it comes down to it, it's how these risk taking or forced farmers manage to feed their families. Nothing else of value grows on the dry desert ground. Anyway, since when is the exploitation of third world countries outside the normal workings of global democracy?

So then it must be asked how MDMA and designer drugs may also put money into the hands of "poor people". Most money goes to the "men on top" just like any company, legit or otherwise. But some money goes to those who would probably not otherwise see any.

In many ways, creating drugs from nothing generates money from nothing, and balances the social inequality that filters down from the "profit making at others expense process" that is competitive trading. Capitalistic democracy. Crime is the acknowledged means of redistributing wealth in western society. There isn't a realistic politician who would deny it - even if such an admission was kept to behind closed doors. Without street level crime the system would have probably burst long ago. Look at the Depression where the mafia gave work to thousands of unemployed citizens, who previous to the wall street crash had no involvement in crime whatsoever. During the 70's, the Netherlands government openly acknowledged the need to have some filtering of money to the lower classes through low impact crime. This was the lead up to the expansion of going soft on locally produced marijuana. Sure an industry developed, but initially it was the risk takers who made the money; the lower classes who already had the connections.

In this regard designer drugs are very different. Or are they?

The greed element of illegally producing MDMA or Meth to sell at a large profit is one thing, but what about the desperate father of 3 who was made redundant...etc..etc. and is about o lose it all. Or he could be a farmer, fucked over by the banks...He has the knowledge and the ability to get himself out of debt, and providing his morals are sound, he'd do that and be out.

Designer drugs are a bit different. It may be a way around chemical restrictions, it may be because an ingredient is on hand making it more convenient to make this chemical over that. But more often than not when the substance is new or unusual, the producer is not making it for large profit. That's because, apart from those who'll take anything, there's no specific market for the drug, unless it's passed off as something else producing similar effects.

The marketing strategies of the recent 2C-I popularity were no-doubt in part responsible for the surge in use among jaded MDMA users, and dealers who were making little or no profit from MDMA. But there are not too many examples of a flash acceptance in the designer world. I'm not talking of psychonauts and those taking psychedelics for reasons other than as a social lubricant. These people often use for a variety of reasons, often involving personal development and awareness-insight etc.

But these are not typical ravers or clubbers. Psychedelic compounds with less "flavourable" outcomes are usually avoided by many people who prefer the security of drugs like MDMA and others chems they feel comfortable with.

Designer compounds with a very high potency also become a dosage critical problem, perhaps more so than with Heroin where 1-2 milligrams over a normal dose would hardly be likely to kill a user.

It is also important to demonstrate the broad association with the term "designer" drug. Biscuit and others have outlined a typical strategy of the chemist; Produce something similar in structure and effect and get around the law (not considering the analogues bill). However, many compounds are not discovered in the lab. Designer drugs, by the definition Biscuit has given, may be - and in fact are more likely to be - discovered by checking drug discovery and other scientific papers. Close analogues to many drugs are often employed in neurological research as they are frequently very potent and specific in their targets. Some of these have never been tested in humans, or if so, have never been entered into clinical trials.

PCP analogues, MDMA analogues and many unique compounds, previously not considered "Research Chemicals" are now being sought out by psychonauts wishing to even further expand the boundaries of what the human brain is capable of. There are hundreds of these compounds, some only known by a number until the patents and other formalities are completed. These compounds are frequently employed by brain researchers - a field becoming extensively adopted by medicinal institutions worldwide. It is my bet we'll see these chems become more widely used, as well as turning up as substitutes or additives in MDMA tablets.

If this does occur, the danger in the unknown would become far greater than that of heroin or possibly any other currently used drug.

^ Great post as always.

I just noticed evilbza specifically asked about more than just the physiological effects. As P_D has indicated, if its solely physiological effects the answer is quite obvious. Although the issue of addiction cannot be forgotten and must be considered within that issue.

However if one considers the wider, more complex society issue as a whole it becomes greyer. For the here and now I think the answer is obvious - and it is the other way around. For the extended future it becomes an impossibility - the ambit of what may one day be a common designer drug is just too wide, and consequently determining the level of threat they present to society an impossibility.

Those that have argued MDMA to be a far bigger threat when you examine into the future by focusing on a potential narrow economic effect have not really considered the economic impacts heroin has had and will continue to have in society. The massive costs to the health system, the justice system and many individual's lives, both drug users and non-drug users, is immense. Far greater than the cost of any future medical treatment that may or may not be required for today's MDMA users.

Another thing that cannot be forgotten is that it is possible to have designer drugs BASED ON heroin - or more correctly heroin's base structure morphine. Fentanyl is one example of an extremely potent "designer drug". The question therefore has become completely circular.

I actually wonder whether the real intention of the question was that "designer drugs" should have read something along the lines of "typical party drugs used recreationally".
Although i recognise defining the latter opens up as many, if not more, cans of worms than the former.

Ah yes Biscuit, the MPTP saga.

As Biscuit mentioned, this was made by chemists (2 separate incidents recorded) trying to produce an analogue of meperidine (morphine related) which was not classified. The chemist had been told of an analogue dicovered by a researcher, who, in those days had to evaluate the potental of a new drug by first producing it. As mentioned above, with QSAR (quantitative structure activity relationship) models, a chemist today can predetermine how well a drug will bind to certain receptors ir enzymes.

So in some ways it could be said that a clandestine chemist has more resources today with which he can make a more accurate assessment of the molecule in question.

But as Biscuit mentioned, it wasn't the designer analogue that was the nasty compound. It was an impurity. At the time a previously little known compound, it's properties remained obscured untill several people were admitted with severe Parkinson's Disease.

Here's a brief (for me) overview I made on MPTP and amphetamine impurities in the famous "My nana can't tell an amphetamine from a methamphetamine" thread. Fab posts by Biscuit in this thread :)

Impurities in a designer

Here's something new from the DEA on 2CI. They might not present all the facts as we'd like to see them, but they're absolutely correct on this one.

...Other than the fact that Shulgin created it (details can be found in his book “PIHKAL”), not much else is known. The dose is said to be between 15-20milligrams, the time to onset is at least one-half hour, and it is thought to be very long acting, perhaps even exerting its effects the next day. The delay of the drug’s effect may cause some users to take additional doses or other drugs which may increase the risk of toxicity or accidental over dosage. According to the United Nations, at the present time “there are no animal or human data concerning general toxicity, reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity or the mutagenicity and carcinogenic potential of 2C-I”...

[Colour added for emphasis; p_d]

Microgram - Article; 2CI

Wish I had more time to spend in here but I simply don't these days.

The term "designer drug" came from the occurence in the eighties of clever chemists making analogs of illegal drugs that gave much the same effects but were different by one or two molecules. As these substances were not identical to the banned ones they could be (at the time) legally made. They were "designed" to get around the law.
The American legal system quickly pushed through legislation to block this loophole, the controversial "Analog Laws". The term "designer drug" was given much press coverage, but people being the idiots thought it had to do with fashion etc, and thought the term came from the sort of people doing the drugs.

With much love to Johnboy for that quote :)

Taken from http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56613