• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos do benzos kill libido

notahappycamper123

Greenlighter
im new to bluelight and was just wondering if some of you ...men in particular can share their experience with benzos and low libido?

Yes, they certainly can. This is especially true if you are using recreational doses. I know if I take 2mg of Alprazolam or an equivalent dose of any other benzodiazepine, I'm basically unable to get things started. Everyone is different though.

They've never made me not able to get it up. But sometimes they make it very difficult to finish.

thanks so much for the responses now that i have a few ears here i need your help - my boyfriend has been taking clonazepam for many years i have only been with him one year - we are both 47 - his bottle says 1mg he says he takes 3 a day but im counting his pills its more like 4 times a day - he is obviously addicted because this is a drug that you are not supposed to be on long term - i definately feel his sex drive is not up to par -i would love to hear from anyone who has stopped taking benzos after years of use and to know if their sex drive returned to normal -thank you all so much i am so GLAD to have this forum

They don't mess with mine, at 1.0mg daily and I took it daily for over 10 years.

Then stopped for nine months and now I only use it as needed.

But they certainly CAN mess with libido, they just don't with everyone.

I noticed no difference off of it for 9 months, felt the same in that regard at least.

yeah it can mess with it i take a low dose at times and there was plenty of times not where i couldnt get it up more like i couldnt finish
not a bad thing for the female haha
i went like an hour once and nothing
YMMV
now SSRIs on the other hand
very little to zero libido go hand and hand

yeah it can mess with it i take a low dose at times and there was plenty of times not where i couldnt get it up more like i couldnt finish
not a bad thing for the female haha
i went like an hour once and nothing
YMMV
now SSRIs on the other hand
very little to zero libido go hand and hand

Not ALWAYS though.

Sometimes.

Honestly I'm 21 years old, so my libido may be naturally higher than a 47 year old's. But sure the klonopin may be messing with his sex drive. If he was to decide to come off a 4 year daily benzo habit, sex will be the last thing on his mind. He'll want to get a professional opinion first and then start a very slow, SLOW, taper. Switching over to a longer acting benzo such as diazepam may be in order, although using klonopin is already a pretty long half life so it may be doable.

Does he want to get off benzos? Have you talked to him about the issue? He is most certainly dependant at this point, and even with a slow taper there's sure to be discomfort coming off such use.

Not ALWAYS though.

Sometimes.
i was on prozac killed my libido
was on buspar killed my libido
lexapro i would get turned on at the most awkward times and say i did get lucky at a good time i could never finish
or it would take hrs for me to stand at attention hardly did i ever fantasize either
ssri's suppresses thoughts thats what they are designed for
for people with anxiety depression etc so they dont have that racing minds, crazy thoughts and even naughty ones
idk thats my take on it

but for the original question the benzos can be causing it maybe not if he is in his late 40's that can be an issue also
or maybe without sounding like a douche maybe there is some underlying issues
for a long time while i was with my ex after all the crap she put me through i would very well avoid sexual situations

i was on prozac killed my libido
was on buspar killed my libido
lexapro i would get turned on at the most awkward times and say i did get lucky at a good time i could never finish
or it would take hrs for me to stand at attention hardly did i ever fantasize either
ssri's suppresses thoughts thats what they are designed for
for people with anxiety depression etc so they dont have that racing minds, crazy thoughts and even naughty ones
idk thats my take on it

but for the original question the benzos can be causing it maybe not if he is in his late 40's that can be an issue also
or maybe without sounding like a douche maybe there is some underlying issues
for a long time while i was with my ex after all the crap she put me through i would very well avoid sexual situations

Lexapro doesn't kill my libido.

And honestly, I don't think what SSRIs TECHNICALLY do is just "suppress thoughts".

They can lessen depression and/or anxiety but you don't "think less" on them.

For many they do decrease libido, but not everyone.

Lexapro doesn't kill my libido.

And honestly, I don't think what SSRIs TECHNICALLY do is just "suppress thoughts".

They can lessen depression and/or anxiety but you don't "think less" on them.

For many they do decrease libido, but not everyone.

again thats my take on it everyone has a different body chemistry
so you can "be ready" at a drop of a hat while on lexapro?
because if you can you are one lucky SOB

It sure doesn't help IMO. I am on other stuff as well but my libido is totally on vacation :(

welcome...

Im 41 going on 42. It never ever had any effect on my libido and i was taking up to 8 to 10 mgs a day for about a year. other drugs, pot, occasionally tramadol, which would make me really hard and last forever but never killed my libido. i also think it depends highly on the individual and the environment and the partner....you. try changing things up a bit?

there are people who take this for life. dont assume it is only for short term use.

it is just not something most drs want to get their patients addicted to, and i agree, as it is a bitch to detox from.

just because he takes a little more doesnt mean he is addicted, but maybe he feels a bit more anxiety.....actually you didnt say why he takes it....but when i am super stressed sometimes the dose for the day does go up. it helps tremendously. i wish it wasnt such a dangerous drug to detox from though.

also at 47 sometimes things just slow down a bit. im 41 going on 18 but my body sometimes tells me not any more bro, take it easy.

another reason for him taking more sometimes is that the tolerance with this drug is a bitch, as in you need more and more to get the effect. yeah you could classify that as addicted but i would say that term infers something negative. it may be simlpy he is eating some foods which metabolize the drug quicker which also would require you to up the dosage a bit. smoking is the worst, do not smoke if you take benzos.

i was going to ask what benzos as they all have different properties but you clarified in a later reply, so thanks.

i hope you get laid soon, if not send me a message, im single - ha ha just kidding. unless you are not. ok good luck with this. just to add my disclaimer everyone is different. if he is suffering from depression or other things, well that sure is a libido killer. does he take any other drugs?

I take quite a bit, and NO they do not when done alone.
Opiates/opioids are another matter, and can, amongst other issues.

I remember when I used to abuse etizolam I wouldn't want to have sex with my girlfriend. and when we would, it was harder for me to real climax indeed. I'd say it's dependent on the benzo. I don't feel it as much on the clonazepam, though the loss of interest is still there..

Benzos in therapeutic doses have never had a noticeable effect on my libido.

I suppose if I were to take a huge fuckton of benzos, getting hard might be difficult, but then again so is everything that isn't just falling right asleep, lol.

I've also noticed that etizolam makes me very horny. There's a super noticeable increase in sex drive when I do take it.

From what I've experienced benzos don't kill my libido, however they can give a man a limp dick if he takes too much. However YMMV

very interesting ...he takes citolopram which is an SSRI ....perhaps thats the culprit??? and he is on 40 mg which from my understanding is the max dose !!! so maybe its not the klonopin

thanks so much for you comment - ive talked to him about it but i get a sense of denial that its not a problem that needs addressing - ive done a lot of research so i know all about the withdrawls - he said he is willing to go to a lower dose ...i will believe it when i see it ...he goes back to doc in september

They've always killed mine. Any CNS Depressant and i'm a soggy waffle.