DJing ***FAQ*** methods and techniques, bump often

Seeing as though I was only the second person to bump this in over a month I didn't think anyone would mind if I added a quick shout out dood...

Well, now that we got beatmatching and pitchbending down, I ask this.
What is the best way to mix in two similar but different genres (say Hard Epic Trance into Progressive/Deep Trance) I know it wouldn't be something you'd hear in a mix CD per say, but would be good crowd control live.
Here's how I do it.
If i'm going mellow: I try to find a song that is kinda of a filler (nothing too dramatic but still upbeat) and mix that in right after the final break of the first song with a short to mid sized mix (8 to 32 beats i guess) then I cue and match the song that is mellower whenever I feel right for a longer (about 16 to 64 beats if possible) mix (as progressive/deep trance sounds good when mixed long IMO).
Also if i'm going slower, In the break of an uptempo song, i'll gradually lower the pitch of the song (this works well on the long string sound...the sound gets deeper and slower and prepares the listener for a slower beat) so that the new song can be matched better and not sound distorted when played. This also works if you find that you can't match beats at max pitch/min pitch. However, when using this method you should try to bring in the new rec. almost as soon as the break is over because the old song will sound 'funny' to the listener.
Bringing the energy up is much easier and can be done doing the opposite of what I said above.

going from hard to deep/prog, is what i do on my cds. i've never really adjusted the bpm of a track in the middle of it, unless i absolutely cannot match it.
i like to keep a flow during my set, and try to select a speed that will work well with every track i use.
i personally don't like it when i hear a dj live that will slide the pitch during a track. i think mixing into a dead part of the track, and having the beat lick back in going however fast, or slow i want it feels like a smoother, less noticeable way to change the feel of a set.

everybody wants to...
so what, everyone wants to be rich and famous too...you gotta have the PASSION for it!
this thread is very over 100, closing and starting a new one...off to the archives with this one
~hydra
[ 02 May 2002: Message edited by: HydrA ]