View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Human Interest DPMC VIDEOS Thread

Searching for Burmese Jade, and Finding Misery
Video Feature: Jade’s Journey Marked by Drugs and Death

By DAN LEVIN
DEC. 1, 2014

MYITKYINA, Myanmar — At 16, the gem trader’s son set out for the jade mines to seek his fortune in the precious stone that China craves. But a month in, the teenager, Sang Aung Bau Hkum, was feeding his own addiction: heroin, the drug of choice among the men who work the bleak terrain of gouged earthen pits, shared needles and dwindling hope here in the jungles of northern Myanmar.

Three years later he finally found what he had come for — a jade rock “as green as a summer leaf.” He spent some of the $6,000 that a Chinese trader paid him on a motorcycle, a cellphone and gambling.

“The rest disappeared into my veins,” he said, tapping the crook in his left arm as dozens of other gaunt miners in varying states of withdrawal passed the time at a rudimentary rehabilitation clinic here. “The Chinese bosses know we’re addicted to heroin, but they don’t care. Their minds are filled with jade.”

Mr. Sang Aung Bau Hkum, now 24, is just one face of a trade — like blood diamonds in Africa — that is turning good fortune into misery.

Driven by an insatiable demand from the growing Chinese middle class, Myanmar’s jade industry is booming and should be showering the nation, one of the world’s poorest, with unprecedented prosperity. Instead, much of the wealth it generates remains in control of elite members of the military, the rebel leaders fighting them for greater autonomy and the Chinese financiers with whom both sides collude to smuggle billions of dollars’ worth of the gem into China, according to jade miners, mining companies and international human rights groups.

Such rampant corruption has not only robbed the government of billions in tax revenue for rebuilding after decades of military rule, it has also helped finance a bloody ethnic conflict and unleashed an epidemic of heroin use and H.I.V. infection among the Kachin minority who work the mines.

The drug and jade trades have become a toxic mix, with heroin — made from opium poppies that long ago turned Myanmar into a top producer of illicit drugs — keeping a pliant work force toiling in harsh conditions as the Burmese authorities and Chinese business people turn a blind eye.

At a time when Myanmar is experimenting with democratic governance after nearly 50 years of military dictatorship, its handling of the jade industry has become a test of the new civilian leaders and their commitment to supporting human rights and rooting out corruption, as well as an early check on whether they will reject the former junta’s kleptocratic dealings with China.

So far, experts say, they have failed.

Washington is worried enough about the link between jade and violence — and the effect on democratic change — that it kept in place a ban on the gem from Myanmar, also known as Burma, even after it suspended almost every other sanction against the country since the civilian government came to power in 2011. But critics say the sanctions are useless because China attaches no such conditions.

Continue reading the main story
“The multibillion-dollar jade business should be driving peaceful development in Kachin and Myanmar as a whole,” said Mike Davis from Global Witness, an anticorruption organization. “Instead it is empowering the same elite that brought the country to its knees and poses the biggest threat to peace and democratic reform.”

Continued and video http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/w...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Prescott Valley PD commander resigns; video shows alleged misconduct

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - A veteran police supervisor with the Prescott Valley Police Department resigned after he was caught allegedly stealing prescription drugs.

Hidden camera video shows Commander Arthur Askew standing over a box full of prescription drugs, he then grabs some and puts them in his pocket.

"IT was a shock to everybody," said Sgt. Scott Stebbins. Stebbins worked under the commander, and he says just before the end of the year the Chief got word that something unusual was happening in the evidence room where pills were stored. The chief then ordered a hidden camera investigation.

"Addiction knows no boundaries, and it can happen to anybody," said Stebbins.

According to a police report, Commander Askew told investigators that an unsuccessful back surgery left him in constant and chronic pain.

The Prescott Valley Police Department turned the case over to the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office. In a taped interview, Askew explains his actions.

Askew: "I hadn't slept in days, I was miserable. The pain was killing me, and I wasn't thinking and I screwed up... the only reason I did it was I thought it would help me sleep... it was a dumb, stupid, stupid mistake."

Police found pills in his office as well as a pistol, he claims, was given to him by a friend. When he was confronted by the department, he immediately resigned.

Thank you for your support of the Amend the RAVE Act educational campaign that I have undertaken. It is because of your active involvement in this monumental, multifaceted effort that federal legislators have taken note of our work. My husband, Rob, and I have met with one of Virginia's Democratic U.S. senators as well as a prominent Republican congressman in the House of Representatives. Both members of congress have been open to looking into the issue. This is promising and I am anxious for some action. Patience and endurance are the key words of this fight. Nothing moves quickly in the federal government but I am convinced that we are educating many people along the way as I pursue this issue.

On a different front, at the executive level, I plan to meet with a member of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy in the near future. I have learned that the White House is in the process of formulating a position on this issue and I hope to be part of that office's analysis of the issue.

As we make progress, I will be sure to let you know.

Again, thank you.

Dede

~Dede Goldsmith
Feb, 5th 2015

Amend the RAVE Act Petition

>NYT Guns, Drugs and Money<

Marijuana is legal in Colorado, but federal law makes banking nearly impossible for the cannabis industry. The result: a dangerous all-cash operation that requires armed guards and layers of security.

=D

Fuck yeah and the money is there so the lawyers are too.. fuck the guns.. that shit is antiquated ghetto shit...

Uploaded on Oct 30, 2011
Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalised the use of all drugs, from marijuana to heroin, but has it worked in tackling the country's drug problem?

For more on David O'Shea's story, go to the SBS Dateline website... http://bit.ly/vVTDMV

Judge Jim Gray on The Six Groups Who Benefit From Drug Prohibition

Uploaded on Mar 8, 2010
In 1992, Jim Gray, a conservative judge in conservative Orange County, California, held a press conference during which he recommended that we rethink our drug laws. Back then, it took a great deal of courage to suggest that the war on drugs was a failed policy.

Today, more and more Americans are coming to the realization that prohibition's costs—whether measured in lives and liberties lost or dollars wasted—far exceed any possible or claimed benefits.

Reason.tv's Paul Feine interviewed Gray about drug policy and the prospects for reform. The interview was shot by Alex Manning and edited by Hawk Jensen.

Judge Jim Gray is the author of Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed and What We Can Do About It: A Judicial Indictment of the War on Drugs.

Approximately 8.30 minutes.

Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable iPod, HD, and audio versions.

Subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel and receive automatic notifications when new material goes live.

And come back to Reason.tv March 15 through March 19 for the debut of Reason Saves Cleveland With Drew Carey: How to fix the "Mistake on The Lake" and other once-great American cities, an original six-part documentary series.

Published on Sep 6, 2013
New Video: http://youtu.be/QU-uOVsZ3M0
Violence is running out of control in Mexico as rival drug cartels battle over the smuggling routes to America. Mexico's president has declared war on the gangsters but the only result appears to be an escalation of the killings.

Katya Adler journeys deep into the heart of a shocking conflict, uncovering the human stories behind the seemingly random and disturbing violence.

The federal and state governments have spent more than $19 trillion fighting poverty. But what has really been accomplished with all of that funding? This special half-day conference brings together a wide range of experts from across the political spectrum to discuss whether the War on Poverty succeeded in reducing poverty in the United States, what remains to be done, and whether private charitable efforts would be a better alternative to government welfare programs.

John McWhorter teaches linguistics at the Center for American Studies at Columbia University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHa6DlPfkT8

ARAGUAINA, Brazil, Nov. 5 (UPI) -- Officials at a Brazilian prison said they captured a trained mouse used by prisoners to shuttle drugs and other contraband between cells at the facility.

Gean Carlos Gomes, director of the Barra da Grota prison in Araguaina, said the tiny trafficker was spotted running through a prison corridor with bags of drugs tied to its tail.

The investigation into the drug-smuggling mouse turned up 29 small packets of marijuana and 23 packages of cocaine.

Gomes said officers are reviewing CCTV footage in an attempt to determine who was behind the scheme.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2015/11...drugs-through-Brazilian-prison/4231446742461/

Can anyone direct me to a video with steps or instructions for the best way to quit using Black Tar Heroine or basically the easiest way off of it without too much misery if its possible at all even???

Thank you in advance for any and all help and input.

Sub