• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Distinguishing between 'nodding' and severe CNS depression

mysafehome01

Bluelighter
Is there any way to know?

Like, nodding feels great but how close could you be coming to death?

For me, nodding is felt in my head and in my eyelids. Thats where the euphoria is centered.
Respiratory depression though is felt directly in the center of your chest (as it should), and can be paid attention to even when nodding in and out. Just be sure to pay attention to your breathing and if youre super worried about it, lower your dosages

As said above nodding is the eyelids usually and also another thing with nodding is 'the dreams', not sure if it's just me but when i can get one going (very fucking rare since i only use tramadol n codeine) i kind of go into mad little vivid dreams, not like the type of nasty ones you get on mirtazapine or something just very pleasurable dreams and my breathing is fine, if you're feeling CNS depression the last thing you will be doing is nodding, you will be panicking and finding it even harder to breath, a nod shouldn't make one panic, a nod is a euphoric state including lucid short dreams when i let go, at least for me, your eyes will just keep shutting and feel heavy, your breathing should be normal or only very slightly less.

There's a very big difference between nodding out and nearing death, oxygen deprivation makes you feel terrible not euphoric

From what I've noticed, if your CNS is too depressed, you'll be able to quite definitely feel your respiratory depression, even if it isn't at a dangerous point yet. Not that it should be taken lightly, of course, but it's just a way to sense how depressed your CNS is.
As others have said, nodding is more just heavy eyelids and semi-dreams.

Aha, all I feel is heavy eyelids and a nodding of the head, certainly no panic at all.

I was always a little concerned that when I was at this point I may have slightly over done it.

The strongest Opiate I use is either Codeine or Dihydrocodeine with 1-2mg of Etizolam at a minimum of 3/ 4 hours before taking the Opiates.

Thank you for your replies, it definitely puts my mind more at ease.

If I take enough hydrocodone or oxycodone, I get a nod. But I've had some scary experiences. I had 40mg of Oxy (with a tolerance) and sat in my bed throwing up every five minutes. I noticed I would force myself to take a breath. Well not FORCE, but I did notice my breathing was relatively slow.

You can feel CNS depression in the chest, as said above. Nodding off should just be a time of amazing euphoria and you shouldn't feel too bad. It's better to have someone with you too because I've fallen asleep more than once, ha.

This has been very helpful so thank you for starting the thread. Im on opiates and benzos so im at risk and my Dr wrote me some shot that can be given if this happens. Problem is its expensive and i live alone so nobody can give me the shot. I nod a lot and thought about this very question. My eyelids do get heavy and ill have very vivid dreams. Anyway, thanks for educating me

A big part of the reason I like to use opioids at night is because simply being tired will increase the nod quite a bit, without having to use as much product. But yeah, I can always feel CNS depression if I take enough, even if it's not at a dangerous level.