• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids dilaudid question

mrflowers00

Ex-Bluelighter
every time i inject hydromorphone i get a small rash on my arm i was wondering if this happens to anyone else or if anyone can think of a reason why because i'm not allergic to it

haha 420 posts!...lol...I never IV'd Dialudid but I'd imagine this isnt normal. Sounds like you may be pulling the needle out of your body too fast OR your just allergic to it.

Are you sure your not missing some or all of the shot? It seems like a dumb question but worth asking.Otherwise, it is just a histamine reaction; with certain opiates, the arm I inject in will get very itchy afterwards, but no rash on the injection site.
(420 posts:) )

well ill ask the obvious questions... are u using a micron filter and alcohol swab? what gauge needle is it and how soon after does it begin to rash. using any antihistamines or are u scratching site?

ive shot bucketsfull of dilaudid. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. ur talking about like the pale skin and dime or smaller size bumps, right? it gets kinda itchy, but dont scratchy!

I've had this happen to me, too. It is, indeed, inconsistent and may have something to do with transient levels of histamine in your system varying from injection to injection.

~ vaya

Sometimes it just happens. It's skin irritation. It's not always a clean poke. If I put any odd pressure on the needle, or re-use a needle a 2nd time, I get a red spot. I currently have one on my forearm from a sub strip. Make sure to use a clean sharp every time, or expect a bit more pain, bruising, and risk of sickness.

This happens to me sometimes too. Usually when it happens it's due to me leaving a little bead of solution popping out on the end of the needle after I knock the bubbles out of the syringe. I like to bring one drop to the surface just to know I'm up to the liquid so it's easier to register and feel when you're in. I typically dab it on my skin without touching the needle so it doesn't happen, but I forget every now and then. When you slide it into your skin it causes a histamine release in your skin before you get to the vein and it gets nice and itchy. I kinda like scratching though, it feels good. (Haha, I know I'm weird. Mind you this is coming from a person that loves back straches too while sober, so I guess it isn't that weird.)

It could be due to an inactive ingredient that isn't being filtered out.

Are you using micron filters?

dont suppose it looks anything like this? thats what happens whenever I shoot dilauded. it doesnt really hurt just uncomfortable and puffy. I usually put a hot rag on it and it goes away within half an hour or so. hope it helps, man.

hand2.jpg

Last edited:
i've gotten rashes just like that from shooting up dope
while i don't know what they are they always go away quite fast, they just look unpleasant and are real itchy for me

mine aren't itchy just annoying. its a dead give away to any of my friends that I'm loaded tho. and the "rash" go away rather quickly. i would assume its has to be an allergic reaction but to my knowledge I'm not allergic to anything. none of my friends get this so its good to know atleast a few other people in the world do.

Use clean needles

This happens to me sometimes too. Usually when it happens it's due to me leaving a little bead of solution popping out on the end of the needle after I knock the bubbles out of the syringe. I like to bring one drop to the surface just to know I'm up to the liquid so it's easier to register and feel when you're in. I typically dab it on my skin without touching the needle so it doesn't happen, but I forget every now and then. When you slide it into your skin it causes a histamine release in your skin before you get to the vein and it gets nice and itchy. I kinda like scratching though, it feels good. (Haha, I know I'm weird. Mind you this is coming from a person that loves back straches too while sober, so I guess it isn't that weird.)

I think you're right scottd420. I experience that rash occasionally and I've been taking dilaudid intravenously for over 7 years. It's not often that I get this reaction though. Perhaps, more than the bead though it could be from the needle itself being unclean before use. Either way it goes away quickly. 30-45 mins. Hope this helps

dont suppose it looks anything like this? thats what happens whenever I shoot dilauded. it doesnt really hurt just uncomfortable and puffy. I usually put a hot rag on it and it goes away within half an hour or so. hope it helps, man.

hand2.jpg

I would bet money that your either missing part of your shot into an artery, or you're missing the whole shot into an artery. There's a vein that sits directly on top of the artery in your hand right where that rash is, and it's very easy to accidentally shoot into the artery. Arterial shots produce blotches/hives. Do you experience any burning sensations?

It could also be just a subcutaneous miss and the rash could be cause by histamine release.