• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Dilaudid and diabetes

Thor8870

Ex-Bluelighter
I am very confused about my blood sugar readings while taking dilaudid.

Sorry for the long read. I'll try to make this as brief as possible while hitting what I need to. A year ago I had a pretty bad accident at work. Two months later I got very sick, I found out I had type 1 diabetes. I was shocked by this, it does not run in my family and before the accident I ate relatively well and was active. My blood was very high usual ~400 but some times maxing my meter out at 700+. After a month or so I started to get it under control. Soon after my surgeon stopped prescribing me norcos I was still in pain and struggling through pt so I started buying pills on the street what I could find was dilaudid.

After that my readings went normal. I continued to take readings but stopped using insulin. My doctors credited this to a "honeymoon period".This went on for a couple months. My pt was cut off and the pain was more manageable so I stopped taking the pills. At that time my readings went back to 3-400. Then right on cue I was re injured. I started taking dilaudid again, then back down. That's when I put two and two together. Since then I have gone off for a couple weeks here and there always the same thing.

I am very hesitant to bring this up with my endocrinologist because she, my primary and surgeon are all at the same hospital and I don't want any sort of label on my file there.

Dilaudid will screw with blood sugar levels. I believe most opiates do.. I craved sugar while using Dilaudid heavily. Also made me anemic, am clean now and no more anemia.

Is there another opioid you could just switch to OP? I don't think using hydromorphone to address type 1 diabetes is a particularly sustainable strategy.