• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Dihydrocodeine with no opioid tolerance – advice?

luceluna

Bluelighter
I've never used dihydrocodeine and have got my hands on about 400mg of it in syrup. My opioid tolerance is currently zero and I've never tried anything stronger than morphine.

How much of this can I take (orally) safely? I can't find a LD50 anywhere. I'm pretty paranoid about opiate overdoses and have no idea what's safe for someone without tolerance.

Also, is there anything in general I should be aware of about dihydrocodeine? How it differs etc.?

Many thanks.

Thanks very much for responding.

Would it be dangerous to take 400mg at once for pain?

BTW, I can see you're on Anafranil. Me too. 150mg/day.
I did 300mg at once before but I had a little bit of tolerance

It's tricky because there is contradictory information online (from medical sources) about how strong dihydrocodeine is compared with regular codeine. Some sources say dihydrocodeine is twice as potent, others say it's roughly equal.

It's tricky because there is contradictory information online (from medical sources) about how strong dihydrocodeine is compared with regular codeine. Some sources say dihydrocodeine is twice as potent, others say it's roughly equal.
In my past experience, a 300mg line of DHC felt pretty much the same as 300mg line of regular codeine, bit less itchy.
Although, both times I was mixing with a LOT of ket and some benzos so my experience/memory of it probably isn't the best to go by. I'd choose DHC over regular codeine any day though.

Thanks very much for responding.

Would it be dangerous to take 400mg at once for pain?

BTW, I can see you're on Anafranil. Me too. 150mg/day.

How was it. That's a high first dose. You probably got massive nausea.
DHC is (for me at least) twice as potent as codeine

I ended up taking 200mg and honestly, it was underwhelming. I was surprised, because I get a definite buzz off 60mg codeine. This felt comparable, even though it was 3x the dose. I'm not sure if that means I'm a poor metaboliser or there was some other factor at play. Perhaps I just got my hopes up too high?!

So because of the variability regarding metabolism of Codeine and DHC from person to person, I can only get you an estimate.

DHC is sometimes quoted as 1.2 times the strength of Codeine and 10mg of oral Morphine is equal to 1mg of Oral Morphine. If you remember your dose of Morphine we could use that as a reasonable benchmark.

If you didn't metabolize DHC properly there would have been no buzz from a dose of 60mg. I have read stuff that seems to indicate diminishing returns on bioavailability the higher one goes. I really do not know about this, I've only read it.

Please can you clarify this statement Keif, 'tis a tad confusing... :D

Whoops. That is definitely not what I was going for. I shall try again!

10mg of Codeine Orally is equal to 1mg -1.5mg Orally. I know that's kind of a big gap, but as mentioned, the conversion of Codeine to Morphine is highly variable based on one's enzyme activity.

Now if we are trying to do DHC, we should just make a small adjustment due to DHC's slightly greater potency compared to Codeine. A lot of data indicates there actually isn't a significant difference and sometimes you see 1mg Codeine equals 1.2mg DHC.

Basically there is not a huge difference but I thought it was probably better to discuss it just to be safe. OP should be able to calculate future doses with relative accuracy maybe based upon his experience with Morphine. There are a lot of variables at play.

Whoops. That is definitely not what I was going for. I shall try again!

10mg of Codeine Orally is equal to 1mg -1.5mg Orally.

Mate, I'm still confused. Do you mean 10mg of oral codeine is equal to 1mg - 1.5mg of oral morphine?

Damn I failed again. I really meant to say that. I really apologize to anyone that I confused.

All routes of administration, oral (by mouth) is used, so 10mg Codeine is approximately to 1mg Morphine if both are taken orally.

If you didn't metabolize DHC properly there would have been no buzz from a dose of 60mg. I have read stuff that seems to indicate diminishing returns on bioavailability the higher one goes. I really do not know about this, I've only read it.

Yes, I've also read something from a health department that said dosing DHC above 30mg at a time has diminishing returns. Unfortunately I can't find the source now.

If it's hard to abuse, that might explain why DHC is still available OTC in Australia, whereas other products containing codeine are not.