• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants difficulty using Adderall medicinally after Amphetamine Addiction

Nick_H

Greenlighter
Hi,
Appolagies if this isn't in the right place. Feel free to move it.
I should hardly be surprised by this but after two years of moderate to heavy Adderall abuse, Adderall and Amphetamines in general don't work nearly as well as they used to. I am now completely clean and sober and plan to stay that way, but the problem is that my ADHD is too severe to not use Adderall. Adderall also helps a lot with my anxiety and depression. I tried Stratera for a while but found my depression and anxiety to be debilitating. I also gave Vivance a shot but found that it couldn't keep me focused the way Adderall can. My problem is that the effects have completely changed. I take 30 MG first thing with an additional 15 MG a few hours later, and for the first hour or two I feel alright, but then I start coming down and I just feel stupid. I can think of no other way to put it. I feel slow, foggy, obcessive, antisocial, very robotic for want of a better word and physically unwell, especially later into the comedown. I really don't start to feel anything like myself until towards the end of the day, and by then I always feel tired. I've tried taking a day or two off betwine doses, and I've found that on the days I don't take it I feel much better. Should I take the 30 mg every few days or take a smaller dose, 10 or 15 mg maybe every day? I'm trying to let my brain recover while doing what I need to do to hold down school, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to do all I can to recover as quickly as possible. Amphetamine abuse has really exasirbated my depression and anxiety and has really negaitvely impacted my quality of life in a huge way. Honestly it's put me through hell, to levels of misery I didn't think were possible until I experienced them. I say this in hopes that it might help someone to not have to go through what I have. Be very careful.

I really think what's wrong here is your mind-set. You have a preconceived idea of what adderall felt like the first time you took it, and you're disappointed with it each time, because it's not the same.
Taking a smaller dose of a stimulant after using a large dose usually just extends the "come-down" time. You can go up, but you can't go down.
I would say your dosing regimen of 30mg every few days would be fine.

Try exercising on the come-down and get some healthy fruits or something. Supplementing Phenylalanine and L-tryptophan can also help comedowns.

Thanks very much! I feel much better on the days that I don't take it. It's almost like Adderall now makes me feel the exact opacit of how it should, and I don't even mean euphoria. When I'm not on it, I'm much more social, things like writing become much easier. Everything I used to use Amphetamine for goes more smoothly without it. But I need it at least every few days or so otherwise my anxiety, etc becomes overwhelming.

I also become incredibly depressed and anxious on the comedown.

Thanks very much! I feel much better on the days that I don't take it. It's almost like Adderall now makes me feel the exact opacit of how it should, and I don't even mean euphoria. When I'm not on it, I'm much more social, things like writing become much easier. Everything I used to use Amphetamine for goes more smoothly without it. But I need it at least every few days or so otherwise my anxiety, etc becomes overwhelming.

I, and a ton of other people are in the same boat. Originally I could take adderall and go out, socialize, drink and have fun with friends. Now when I take it, I find it difficult to leave the house. Probably has something to do with the brain rewiring as a result of using it.

I also become incredibly depressed and anxious on the comedown.

Once again, mindset. Stop letting the drug control how you feel and think.
Find a relaxing activity like drinking tea or taking a bath/shower.
Eat some carbs and take L-theanine, phenylalanine, tyrosine or tryphophan.

If you feel better not taking the adderall... maybe what you really need is an antidepressant and something PRN for anxiety? Be honest with your prescribing physician and see what he/she thinks.

Thanks for the replys! I'd love to drop the Adderall entirely, but I don't think that's possible. My doctor has me on Busbirone for anxiety, and it works alright, but it's nothing compared to a benzo and it doesn't last nearly as long as I need it to. I've told him that I'm an addict and that I'm trying to stay away from all potentially abusible meds so he won't give me benzoes. And honestly I don't want them if I can avoid it. Those are the only two meds I take, and I'm cool with that but any reccomendations are appreciated. Again, Thanks for the advice and support! It's a wonderful feeling to know that I'm not alone!

Is it time released, or instant? You said you're dosing 15mg a few hours latet after the first initial 30mg dose? That's probably one of the issues there.

What's your normal dosage?

My suggestion is to cut back, take a break, then start over. Yes, your body has developed a tolerance now and the way you are dosing is making it confused.

The anxiety is normal, especially on larger doses.

Often times, even with opiates, we hit a wall...we can't get high, or feel the good effects because our tolerance has built, our bodies/minds get confused.

You're definitely not alone buddy and i completely understand about not wanting to be on meds with the potential for abuse, but if your drug of choice, DOC, are stimulants it might make more sense to give you a small dose of a benzo, like 10 a month of klonopin or ativan instead of giving you more stimulants.. but what do i know? I'm just an addict. One thing i do know is that buspar had the opposite effect on me. IT made me jittery and made my anxiety worse.

Just saying: there have been people hopelessly addicted to meth for more than few years which have managed to kick it entirely and maintain a functional lifestyle without resorting to recreational drug usage. I think you could do it without the drug.

The Adderall is perscribed for my ADHD. It's imediet release. I've tried extended release and it tends not to work for me. I'm not taking it recreationally. I'm perscribed 30 mg first thing in the morning followed by an additional 15 mg if needed a few hours later. I'd love to drop it entirely, it's just that during the month and a half or so that I tried Stratera, I was a complete reck. I had pannic attacks at least every couple of days, my functionality as far as school and just life in general just plummited. I was also quite depressed. Buspar leaves much to be desired, but I'll take what I can get... I'm debating dropping it honestly, it doesn't do much for me. I know I'm not supposed to feel amazing, seeing as I've spent the last couple of years going pretty hard with stims, but I just feel so foggy, depressed and anxious a lot of the time, again, as I said in my op, I shouldn't be surprised, and I know it'll pass with time.

I understand how you feel. I tried adderall back in 2009 during college and had amazinf results. I took MAYBE a dozen 30mgXR pills, It was really hard to find. I basically had a friend who was prescribed sell me one or two each semester to cram. It was really amazing...anyway after college I got addicted to cocaine and was doing almost a gram a day or more for about a year.... I got sober for exactly a year..Went to a doctor and got Adderall 20mg twice a day prescribed. I knew the FIRST month while I was taking it, that it lost it's magic and that I was not doing productive things like I used to.

It's been 5 months of taking 30-40mg a day. I feel the stimulating effects for about two hours and then I go into "robot" mode. I feel foggy and hazy.

It sucks, I wish I would have never fucked with cocaine. I talked to a friend of mine who is going to be a General Practitioner in about a year, and he told me it would take FIVE years of staying completely sober for my brain to heal, and for me to "feel" like a normal person.

Thank you very much for this thread.

You get addicted to the adderall the same way one would get addicted to meth, you're also having the same exact problems a meth addict would have. Except your drug is legal and prescribed, thats really the only difference. I still can't believe all these doctors getting all these patients strung out on adderall, its ridicules.

If you don't want to deal with these problems then taper off the adderall completely. Thats the one advantage you have over a meth addict, is you have the ability to taper. Unless you want to continue... Then just up your dose and get some benzos to deal with the anxiety... Yeehaa