• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Different ways to take heroin. Toes?

Llyrose772

Greenlighter
The main point of the post is in bold 🙃.
I’m very new to iv use. I’ve been successful literally a handful of times and in my attempts end up wasting so much. Not to mention all the little pricks adding up is not attractive at all. I just have unbelievably small veins even in hospitals it’s been an issue.
I usually snort but it’s been effecting my sinuses (possibly my asthma, definitely my wallet) so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or tips for a guaranteed hit? For example would anyone recommend in between the toes and if so how do I do this? Surprisingly can’t find a how to on the web. Maybe this is all a sign to stop.... but we all have our reasons don’t we....

Intravenous route of administration should be done entirely inside of the vein. The venous system starts after the capillaries return the deoxygenated blood, so the veins in the fingers and toes will be much too small for intravenous use. People that inject between the toes and fingers typically have collapsed all of their superficial veins and are attempting to get the solution into the highly vascularized tissues and capillaries there, but the problem with that is that there will be a lot of leakage into the tissues which can result in cellulitis, abscesses, blood infections and worse and it’s not technically full on intravenous.

If you‘re new to IV, the much more safe alternative is to study how the major superficial veins run in your upper extremity and try to locate them first. Then, there are tips and tricks that can help you find them if they run below the surface and aren’t easy to see.

%2528Netter%2BBasic%2BScience%2529%2BFrank%2BH.%2BNetter-Atlas%2Bof%2BHuman%2BAnatomy-Elsevier%2B%25282018%2529_Page_652.jpg

You’re looking at the light blue, which represents the superficial venous system. Ignore the dark blue, or the deep venous system, as those are very unsafe to try to inject into without ultrasound to guide as they run next to the major arteries and nerve bundles.

The other option is to completely change ROA, which would be my recommendation. IV use unfortunately never leads anywhere good, so if you are thinking of stopping, that would absolutely be your best bet.

Stay away from the feet.

A number of veins in my feet collapsed or retracted just from trying. Many of them I never even registered. Just a single unsuccessful attempt was enough to hide forever. And I have not an ounce of fat on my feet.

I have no fucking clue how someone actually gets a vein between the toes. I mean I used to work at an animal hospital and have drawn blood from a cockatiel somehow but made a mess of my feet.

Stay away from the feet.

I have no fucking clue how someone actually gets a vein between the toes.

With even a 31 gauge needle, it's just not possible unless the person has massively large veins throughout their entire body and even then, you'd be pushing against not only the entire weight and gravity all the way up through the inferior vena cava to the right atrium, but every time those valves rapidly open and close further up the extremity, it's almost guaranteed to blow the vein from the build up of pressure. It's absolutely not possible to get a 100% clean intravenous shot into those tiny vessels there without some seriously tiny needles and a very controlled flow rate. I suppose the other thing, if someone did have a nice and healthy venous system, they wouldn't be considering the toes to begin with. And since the toes are the furthest point from the heart, all of the leakage into the tissues will heal much slower and be much more likely to cause complications like infections.

A number of veins in my feet collapsed or retracted just from trying. Many of them I never even registered. Just a single unsuccessful attempt was enough to hide forever. And I have not an ounce of fat on my feet.

Yup, those veins look gigantic because of all the pressure from gravity against them. A lot of times just hitting it is enough to cause the excess pressure to temporarily collapse it. You really need to use the greater saphenous vein or lesser saphenous vein and be up a few valves to avoid a lot of those issues.

Yes, definitely stay away from the feet, legs and hands. Also avoid the femoral, jugular and dick.

Plus injecting in your feet hurts like hell...

Intravenous route of administration should be done entirely inside of the vein. The venous system starts after the capillaries return the deoxygenated blood, so the veins in the fingers and toes will be much too small for intravenous use. People that inject between the toes and fingers typically have collapsed all of their superficial veins and are attempting to get the solution into the highly vascularized tissues and capillaries there, but the problem with that is that there will be a lot of leakage into the tissues which can result in cellulitis, abscesses, blood infections and worse and it’s not technically full on intravenous.

If you‘re new to IV, the much more safe alternative is to study how the major superficial veins run in your upper extremity and try to locate them first. Then, there are tips and tricks that can help you find them if they run below the surface and aren’t easy to see.

%2528Netter%2BBasic%2BScience%2529%2BFrank%2BH.%2BNetter-Atlas%2Bof%2BHuman%2BAnatomy-Elsevier%2B%25282018%2529_Page_652.jpg

You’re looking at the light blue, which represents the superficial venous system. Ignore the dark blue, or the deep venous system, as those are very unsafe to try to inject into without ultrasound to guide as they run next to the major arteries and nerve bundles.

The other option is to completely change ROA, which would be my recommendation. IV use unfortunately never leads anywhere good, so if you are thinking of stopping, that would absolutely be your best bet.
Thank you for this. It was very informative.

Stay away from the feet.

I have no fucking clue how someone actually gets a vein between the toes. I mean I used to work at an animal hospital and have drawn blood from a cockatiel somehow but made a mess of my feet.

Stay away from the feet.
Hahaha.... I regularly draw blood from rats.... it’s most definitely possible to hit small veins.

Though to OP it’s highly advisable not to go for veins in the feet. Other than the fact they are hard to hit, the risk of infection is much higher.

Getting blood out is one thing, injecting back into it quite another :)

I would imagine there is also speciality equipment to work with animals that small.

Getting blood out is one thing, injecting back into it quite another :)

I would imagine there is also speciality equipment to work with animals that small.
Of course, lol. I use from 14g to 26g catheters, some of the same used for neonates.

We do regularly give them transfusions and saline so it’s not hard to do it’s literally just the equipment you require.

The mamillian cardiovascular system fascinates me. Do you have any equipment that helps control flow rate or is it done manually, or perhaps even a built in mechanical device in the catheter that helps control flow rate?

The mamillian cardiovascular system fascinates me. Do you have any equipment that helps control flow rate or is it done manually, or perhaps even a built in mechanical device in the catheter that helps control flow rate?
Well yes we have pumps that control flow rate or just through a clamp on the IV tubing.

Hahaha.... I regularly draw blood from rats.... it’s most definitely possible to hit small veins.

Though to OP it’s highly advisable not to go for veins in the feet. Other than the fact they are hard to hit, the risk of infection is much higher.

I've drawn from rats a fair amount, but my biggest claim to fame was an unusual instance where I drew blood from the gingival vein of a non-anesthetized hamster.

I'm not great at venipuncture, anything smaller than a small dog or cat makes me nervous.

Was not a fan of suturing either, especially when trickier sutures were called for (mattress sutures etc).

I don't have a great mind muscle connection as I'm always sort of lost in thought. Yet my Chopin and Liszt is pretty good on the piano, so go figure.

Nonetheless I made a mess of my feet when trying to register those veins (granted I probably was at my a-game when attempting them. I suppose the moral story was that while I was relatively well-practiced at venipuncture I failed pretty spectacularly on my feet.

Wow, that would take some skill I imagine. How cooperative was the hamster lol?