• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Difference Between GABA A and GABA B?

Stotched

Bluelighter
I was wondering what the main difference between GABA A and GABA B drugs/receptors is?

I've always been an opiates guy, but in the past 6 months, I've been experimenting with some gaba type drugs.

I've found that I absolutely hate all GABA A Agonists, (except for alcohol, which I still think is the second best recreational drug behind heroin).

I've found that most GABA A agonists cause me to instantly fall asleep. Even something as small as .25 of xanax or etizolam, and I am out for at least 12 hours. it doesn't even take away my anxiety, it just puts me to sleep. I may have a very high sensitivity to these drugs, but even while trying to stupidly build a tolerance to experience them, after 14 consecutive days of dosing etizolam, .5 still put me instantly to sleep. I put aside all benzos, barbs, and z drugs, thinking that anything that affects gaba just isn't recreational, and aren't even worth how cheap they are.

Then I found GHB.

I was given a cap of GHB, and instantly fell in love. I thought it felt just like alcohol but without feeling groggy or foggy headed. I hated how short it lasted though, and after much searching found some GBL. I found GBL enhanced the euphoric aspects of GHB while also lasting about twice as long. (I know technically GBL is a prodrug to GHB, but I still prefer it much more.)

After this I was off to the races, with GBL, Phenibut, and Baclofen when I could find it. Phenibut is probably my favorite drug right now, although I never use it more than two days in a row for fear of the withdrawals I've heard about.

So why have I found such a love for GABA B agonists, but can't stand GABA A agonists? I thought they were pretty much the same thing? I feel like this would be prone to someone saying "I love delta opioid agonists, but not mu agonists". Or are GABA A and GABA B completely different receptors?

they are def different

when you say GABA-A i think dishinibition, black outs and no noticeable high (even though you're fucked up). that's what benzos and barbs feel like for me (although iirc they aren't really specific GABA-A agonists i guess dont quote me on that tho)

i've tried baclofen and although i didn't feel 'high' i was noticeably relaxed and fell asleep so easily. it was good. so yeah they're different.

if you liked GABA-B agonists give carisoprodol/soma a try. some find it very recreational. i'd try it but around here it's only found mixed with caffeine, APAP and wtv shit so it's too much of a hassle just for a not-that-amazing high.

for me benzos/barbs aren't recreational AT ALL too, just good when you don't wanna go through stress or anxiety

also remember alcohol isnt just GABAergic and affects does other stuff too - NMDA antagonism etc - so yea thats definitely why for you (and me) alcohol is pretty damn fun but benzos arent

i dont think i can feel GABA-A drugs at all. except they make me sleep longer i guess
GABA-B drugs fuck me up mostly

phenibut was awesome the first few times. like a low-level mdma trip. i think its still good though, nice to chill on. but 'causes withdrawls even when you don't use it often. so best to use leaasst as possible.

for me benzos/barbs aren't recreational AT ALL too, just good when you don't wanna go through stress or anxiety

That is pretty damn recreational to me, no stress and anxiety sounds like a badass time.

Phenibut and alcohol give me such brain fog that I can't use them very much. Phenibut was amazing when I first started, that euphoria man. Shit doesn't last but it really wasn't hard to drop a 6month daily habit with gabapentin.

Benzos make me feel so confident and clear headed.

So I guess I like and dislike both. But isn't alcohol hitting gaba-b and not gaba-a?

GHB's inhibitory effects can be explained through the GABA-B receptors; but the stimulatory effects of GHB can be explained through the GHB receptors.

^I'd say yes, however Phenibut also has a stimulatory effect with no affinity to GHB receptors, so there would likely be some downstream effect in play - perhaps glutaminergic or dopaminergic in nature.

The function, operation and composition of GABAA is completely different from GABAB receptors. It's a mistake to think that just because they share a common ligand they have something else in common. The ligand is basically it.

GABAA receptors are like five trees growing in a pentagon with a light shining through the center. Depending on how they're bent some of that light can make its way through. Diazepam (allosteric modulator), gets stuck in between the trees, but it doesn't open them up enough for the light to get through. It does however modulate the branches enough that the GABA ligand is more able to fit in there, letting the light through. It doesn't increase the light going through, but it does make it so that the light is going through much more often.

GABAB is a GPCR but it's unusual because it's coupled to potassium channels. Anyways I can't think of an accurate way to describe the way GABAB works but it is different in any case.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys!

I took phenibut yesterday and today. Yesterday it gave me supreme confidence off 1.8g. I felt on top of the world, even euphoric almost when mixed with kratom. Today I took 2g of it, and I barely feel anything. Maybe a tiny potentation of my kratom. So I will take a 2 week break from the phenibut, especially because I heard anything more than 2 days in a row is bad news.

I just never really liked anything that hit GABA A. Like I said, I must be sensitive to it or something, because even .25 of xanax makes me fall asleep within 30 minutes for 12+ hours. I once had a little bit of etizolam powder. I took .1 and was out for 14 hours. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to GABA A agonists, which is why I don't like them. I find it strange too, as I can hold my liquor with the best of them, but can't stay awake on any benzos or z drugs.

That is pretty damn recreational to me, no stress and anxiety sounds like a badass time.

for me that's more like how i wish i was 100% of the time =D

i love benzos, they are like tools for me, i just say i dont find them recreational cuz i dont feel high on them. recreational is just a word in the end tho

gaba-A and gaba-B receptors are two wholly different receptors that simply share the same natural chemical that binds to them.

for me that's more like how i wish i was 100% of the time =D

i love benzos, they are like tools for me, i just say i dont find them recreational cuz i dont feel high on them. recreational is just a word in the end tho

Definitely. When I picture a recreational drug, I picture pure euphoria. This is why I don't really like weed, psychadelics and MDMA and most of it's analogs.

Opiates, Amphetamines, Baclofen/Phenibut, Crack, and Alcohol give me a euphoria in which I want to socialize, get shit done, and feel like the world isn't a depressing, shitty place, all at once. I also love the warm blanket feeling that opiates give me, and the excitability that amp, crack, and alcohol give me.

Benzo's don't give me any sort of euphoria, and I actually can't even tell if I'm under the influence of them, when I am on them.

Euphoria is definitely the only thing for me that makes a drug recreational. People that like weed/psychadelics probably have a completely different definition of recreational drugs than me however. I used to enjoy weed and psychadelics until I got into opiates. Once I got into opiates, my definition of recreational changed to the points where opiates are the only thing I will seek out. I need opiates daily, all the other drugs I listed are just frosting on the cake.

they are def different

when you say GABA-A i think dishinibition, black outs and no noticeable high (even though you're fucked up). that's what benzos and barbs feel like for me (although iirc they aren't really specific GABA-A agonists i guess dont quote me on that tho)

You forgot GABA-a = vasodilator. This effect is drastically demonstrated when benzos are administered during or after amphetamine-like vasoconstrictor drugs had been used.

OP, if u enjoy Phenibut, I would venture to say u would really enjoy Lyrica and higher dose Gabapentin. Both creat a pretty good, long lasting euphoria for me. They are notorious just like Phenibut for building a quick tolerance. I have found however though as long as I don't take Gabapentin or Lyrica for more than about 5 days straight that the withdrawals are negligible to those of Phenibut.....and non existent to opiate withdrawals. Just my .02 though.

fendo-02-00103-g001.jpg