• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Did the hospital drug-test me without my knowledge? (supposedly for an x-ray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
I was in a car wreck earlier this month. Before anyone asks, I will start by saying I wasn't driving under the influence of anything at that time. So I accidentally rear-ended this lady when I was driving sometime between 5 and 5:30pm (the sun was directly in my eyes and the last thing I remember before the wreck was adjusting my visor). Neither of us were injured, though I dented the lady's vehicle. She was okay to drive off, and outside of denting her car she was fine. My car, however, suffered complete front-end damage along with both of my air-bags deploying and punched me right in the sternum. I was in enough pain that I decided to have someone drive me to the ER while my vehicle was being towed. When I got there they got my info, checked my vitals, and had me piss in a cup for an x-ray (they said it was to insure that I wasn't pregnant). Given that I no longer have medical insurance, I wound up refusing an EKG and an x-ray but still got charged 4 hundred bucks for a co-pay and an additional hundred to piss in a cup. My main concern is, they got the case # for the accident (though it wasn't necessary), so is it possible that they screened me for drugs as well? I insisted that they not give me anything unnecessary and said I didn't need any meds or additional help as long as I didn't puncture a vital organ from the impact of the airbag. I left with a sheet that said "take Motrin as needed for pain". The whole thing felt like a con-job. Could they have drug-tested me without my knowledge and report it to authorities? I thought any info regarding hospital visits were 100% confidential?

Last edited:
Drug tests cost money and if there's no reason to expect you'd be on drugs all they'd do is encourage false positives by testing unnecesarily.

Besides you can't come back for continuing outpatient care if you're in jail.

This hits both the bans on drug testing AND legal discussion and doesn't fit in OD, so I'm gonna close it, sorry. I couldn't help but speculate though, which is why we close these. Anyone can take it up in PM if they have thoughts,.

Correct me if I missed it: cops were never involved, right? The case number is for your insurance claim? By which I mean your car insurance.

If so, they were doing a favor getting the case number linked, so their lawyers can refer to it later when they all sue each other, per SOP.

Courts can absolutely subpoena medical records--they did mine--but you got nothing to worry about (maybe a guilty conscience?). You remember that nurse who got arrested several months back for refusing to comply with cops who wanted a blood test from an unconscious person? Hospitals are going to comply with car insurance companies even less. Especially if there's no guarantee you'll reimburse without medical insurance.

Car insurance put themselves at risk if you turn out to have had drugs in your system, since then you'd be at fault, and they'd have to pay the other driver's insurance. Either way, you'd have to authorize that test--hospital doesn't care if you were on anything.

The hospital just wanted to make sure they didn't nuke a fetus when they X-rayed your ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.