• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Did Naltrexone implants/shots permanently change the way I feel opiates?

phillycheese93

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

My 3 month naltrexone treatment wore off 3 weeks ago (I had the implant for 2 months, then decided to go with the one month shot).

Anyways, I picked up a bag of dope a couple days ago, and I noticed that every time I would do a shot, there would be a tremendous lag time before I would feel anything. It was almost as if I would do the shot, feel nothing, then about 5 minutes later there would be a really slow onset. It would sometimes take up to 15 minutes for me to fully feel the effects.
I also noticed that I couldn't do small shots because I would basically feel nothing. I would have to do a decent to heavy sized shot (being very careful, having narcan in arms reach with friends monitoring me).

This leads me to believe that there is still some naltrexone blockage in my system, and the only way to break the barrier is to do a decent sized shot, but even with the decent sized shots, I don't get a rush, just a slow onset.

My question is, is this just the residual effects of the naltrexone, or has the naltrexone somehow changed the way I feel opiates?

I know people have had the implant for 5 months and at 3 weeks after expiration, they still couldn't feel opiates. Maybe it will be another month before all the naltrexone is out of my system before I can feel the rush of shots? Or is it possible something has permanently changed the way I feel opiates? :?

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated =D

Naltrexone, being an antagonist, should have lowered opiate tolerance if anything. If you still have a problem feeling your shots, it's probably still in the system. I had the exact same problem after getting off bupe maintenance. Delayed feeling from the shots, however waiting a few more weeks made it work just like before again. Just be patient (I know it's hard lol) :).

Everyone metabolises naltrexone at different rates, it's likely you still have some in your body.

After being on suboxone for a year, it took a good 3 months before I could even feel 60mg of hydrocodone. Even then it forever changed how I used to feel off them. Maybe it was tolerance from the bupe but even now, I feel good for about 20-30 minutes before the euphoria fades away. I think you should just wait a few more weeks and you should feel your doses like before.