L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Did I blow it with a "unicorn"?

Ksf2023

Bluelighter
No one is perfect. That is an undeniable fact. However, there are amazing people out there who have a ton of great personality traits. Smart, kind, attractive, stable, talented, and overall highly well-rounded individuals. People usually refer to them as "unicorns". I think I met one of these people years ago and she may have ruined the vast majority of my dating options in life.

4 years ago I came across a woman on Tumblr who had a dumb article written about her taking some things she said out of context, and even exaggerating qualities she had. Basically, at the time, she was a feminist aspiring PhD candidate who wanted to challenge stereotypes of beautiful women in acedemia. She wasn't internet famous, but she went viral for a week before the flame died down. She reblogged luxury and beauty stuff, but had a loyal following and would answer many different kinds of questions, even personal ones. I thought she seemed super chill and intriguing, so I just sent her dumb YouTube videos that I wanted her to react to, one of which she sent me well thought out paragraphs about. One time I went into DMs asking her for advice which turned into a conversation about numerous things. We related to each other about mental health and how we experienced anxiety. I sent her a couple of original memes that made her laugh. 6 months later (around the time I broke up with my last girlfriend) I started using Instagram and followed her on there. After seeing a lot of her personal posts I developed a crush on her. And at this time, she was single. On Tumblr I asked her anonymously what she wanted in a guy, and she listed 6 qualities, and honestly at least 5 of them were literally the guy I have been trying to become since I was a teenager. I remember talking about that on forums 10 years ago, when I used to suffer from horrible social anxiety, autism, ADHD, and PTSD which set me back for a while until I started going to uni about 3 years ago. I felt like I wasn’t good enough for her at the time, because she seemed to like educated, mature, well traveled men, and I wasn’t at that level yet. But I also thought that this was an opportunity I should jump at as soon as possible, because she could get snatched up at any moment, based off of what she said on Tumblr before, how she was “almost always in a relationship”. A gorgeous woman who didn’t care about looks or height, that I have a lot in common with? And she lived relatively close to me? I felt like I should go on a date or 2 with her to see if we had chemistry. This was one of the rare times that I was actually really excited about a woman who I had a realistic shot with. I messaged her on IG and asked her out on a date, she responded back and asked me how old I was and where I lived, and gave me her number and wanted to text me a little first. We had a conversation that eventually fizzled out, and she ended up ghosting me. I did mention that I was starting school that fall, at the age of 23, while she was in grad school finishing her masters, so my suspicions may have been right.

Then last year I started thinking about her a lot and wondering if she was my only shot at someone who met my general standards. And now I wonder if she is one of the very few people in this world who "had it all". Intelligent and educated, talented, seems mentally stable (she wanted to be a psychologist so I assume she is responsible for her mental health), and looks like a supermodel. And based on our online interactions, we have a lot in common, from similar interests and sense of humor to music and arts, so we could have bonded. I can’t help but think what if. If my mental health didn’t screw me over when I was younger, I probably would be closer to my ideal self, and may have been ready for her. I’ll never have that opportunity to know for sure what she’s like or if we had real chemistry. Now, I don’t think she’s perfect. I try not to idealize her, and consider what flaws could be there. On tumblr she mentioned something about sex that made me think we could be sexually incompatible, and it also seemed like she had a lot of previous relationships, which could potentially be a red flag. But since I will never get the chance to go on dates with her, I’ll never know for sure how important these things are. I can’t help but think about the flip side: sure, she might be flawed, but she might be worth it. Or maybe her flaws aren’t super problematic. It’s just driving me nuts.

Is she one of the amazing people that some describe as "unicorns"? Or is she probably flawed in some ways that make her fall short of amazing?

Last edited:
Is she one of the amazing people that some describe as "unicorns"? Or is she probably flawed in some ways that make her fall short of amazing?
She very well could have been a "unicorn". But you never met her, so you would never have any idea. It's really easy to put on a façade online that makes you seem like a unicorn, while it's another thing entirely to actually walk the walk.

I was dating a girl last year that I would describe as a unicorn. She was drop dead gorgeous, like, way too pretty for me. I knew it, I'm sure she knew it, and every one around was quick to point it out to me. She was fiercely independent, made good money like me (at the time), and at first seemed to be super into me. Unfortunately, my lifestyle involves a lot of peaceful, relaxing downtime and that wouldn't do it for her. She's the type who has to be out and active and looking for things to do at all times.

She wasn't such a unicorn when she dumped me, though. She was extraordinarily mean about how she went about it, which to me, seemed uncharacteristic of her. She made sure to highlight everything about me that she found she wasn't attracted to, and blasted me over all of it. So maybe there was a dark side to her and she wasn't so much of a unicorn after all.

She very well could have been a "unicorn". But you never met her, so you would never have any idea.
And this is what is really getting to me. Cannot stop thinking about "what if" across the board and it is kind of destroying me

And this is what is really getting to me. Cannot stop thinking about "what if" across the board and it is kind of destroying me
I know it's easier said than done, but ya just gotta stop with the what ifs. I know how hard it is to not think about what ifs, because I am a professional overthinker, but seriously, for the benefit of your mental state, try to do your best to squash the what ifs. Just gotta keep your head up and keep at it. Dating is a vicious sport and is not for the faint of heart; it requires you to keep your head in the game to get the best results. If you get too caught up in the what ifs with this person now, you might just miss your actual unicorn.

I noticed that this is the first thing you wrote in your original post. Does this mean you are leaning in that direction based on what I wrote about her?
Nah, didn't mean for it to come off like that. Based on what you wrote about her, it sounds like she has a lot of good things going for her in her life, but I wouldn't say I'd think she's a unicorn just based on what you said.

Nah, didn't mean for it to come off like that. Based on what you wrote about her, it sounds like she has a lot of good things going for her in her life, but I wouldn't say I'd think she's a unicorn just based on what you said.
I'm curious, how would you define "unicorn?" (Personally I'm not a fan of the term since I think it sounds somewhat dehumanizing, but it is a popular term to describe "objectively" amazing people)

I'm curious, how would you define "unicorn?" (Personally I'm not a fan of the term since I think it sounds somewhat dehumanizing, but it is a popular term to describe "objectively" amazing people)
Well, my definition may not meet yours, because everyone is different. To me a unicorn is a woman that is:

Insanely beautiful, ideally thin and/or fit with a nice ass, but I don't mind thicker girls either really. Really long brunette or red hair (I could go for a blond as long as she had the criteria below), with eyes that I can get lost in.
Has a wicked sense of humor (pretty much able to laugh at anything no matter how dark or stupid it is)
Incredibly intelligent. Like, I would have to consider that she is as intelligent as me or more intelligent than me for this to be the case. (I don't think I'm the smartest person alive, but I know for a fact that I have a higher than average intellect. Though my life decisions may not always reflect it haha)
Has to be able to hold a conversation. I can talk for hours about anything and everything and would like a partner who can do the same.
Would like to have a lot of relaxation and downtime. I don't like to constantly be up and doing things. I'm much more of a "stay at home and watch netflix" guy than a "let's go hiking every day" type.
Is self-sufficient and doesn't expect me to buy her everything and constantly be paying for dates. A girl who can go dutch is preferred, split it 50/50. I don't mind buying her nice things and what not, but I don't want to be expected to fork out cash constantly to keep her happy.
Also she would have to have solid nurturing instincts towards children. I have children and its very important to me that my partner can get along well with them. I don't need a woman to replace their mom because their mom does a fine job, just someone they can be their real selves with.

She would have to have a great personality and be passionate about her interests. Not be a transphobe or homophobe. Ideally be politically left leaning but able and willing to accept other world views from anywhere on the political spectrum; and even if she disagreed with them would not make it an "end of the world" type situation. Would have to be against the war on drugs, and preferrably dabble in the things I like to dabble in as well, while avoiding the things I unfortunately cannot at the moment. (Dabble in things like psychedelics and weed and its various forms. Ideally she would not use meth or heroin. I know this sounds hypocritical since I use meth and have recently come off of heroin, but if I were to find this unicorn, I would ideally not be using any longer at that time and would want to stay clean.)

All that makes me sound shallow, I'm sure. But I'm really not. When I date I date for personality first, appearance second. Someone who isn't conventionally pretty can be the most beautiful person in the world if they have the right personality, IMO.

Hey @Ksf2023, welcome to BL. Please don’t take offense, but your posts come off as really creepy. I’m not sure if it’s your autism, or what, but I had a tough time reading and getting through your OP (again, don’t take offense). First of all, don’t call women “unicorns”. You might think that it is calling someone rare, but in reality it’s extremely creepy, and fairly degrading. It’s no wonder this girl ghosted you if you told her you thought she was a unicorn. I would certainly run for the hills if someone referred to me as a unicorn. Also, don’t sweat this girl at all, you are 23 y/o and are still a kid. There is no possible way that you can identify anyone as rare, or 🤢 a unicorn (don’t ever use that word ever again).

🧙‍♂️
I already said that I do not like the term “unicorn” and am borrowing the term from other people as I think that was the easiest way to describe this situation. And I did not tell her anything like that…what makes you think I did? Now, this happened 4 years ago, so I am 27 now, which is sad.

I know for a fact that she isn't rare. There are quite a few beautiful educated women who i'm sure have similar interest. Seeing that you're early 20's i wouldn't sweat it to much. You will eventually meet someone who you think is more interesting then her. It obviously wasn't meant to be her or it would have happened. Just be patient. Some people have 2 or more loves of their lives by the time they are 40.

Beauty is common. If anything, you learn what not to do next time.

Here’s the cold honest truth. I saw a lot of assumptions in your first post about things you really don’t truly know about her. You created this perfect person in your head who you really had no chemistry with as she ended up ghosting you. You gave it a shot, she wasn’t interested. You need to respect that she wasn’t in to you and move on. To be this obsessed so many years later over someone you crushed on over IG isn’t healthy.

-GC

I thought a unicorn is a 3rd?
Depends on the context. Lately I hear unicorn more to describe someone that is incredibly exceptional compared to most other people.

A few LGBTQ friends call me a unicorn because I'm the most open minded cis heterosexual white dude that they've ever met.

You created this perfect person in your head
Did I? Tried looking at the flip side of it back in my OP

Now, I don’t think she’s perfect. I try not to idealize her, and consider what flaws could be there. On tumblr she mentioned something about sex that made me think we could be sexually incompatible, and it also seemed like she had a lot of previous relationships, which could potentially be a red flag.

Did I? Tried looking at the flip side of it back in my OP

That one paragraph doesn’t outweigh the rest of the undying admiration and obsession in this thread.

For instance with FrogEffects well written post you nitpick the very first sentence and pretty much disregard the rest of the post that says more or less the opposite of that first sentence. You’re looking for any little thing you can that this was “the one.”

I’ll tell you as someone that’s been in a relationship a very long time, there’s no such thing as “the one” or unicorns. We’re all human beings with flaws and you’ll never find someone that fits you 100%. That shit is for the movies. If the movies were real she would’ve taken you up on the date, you’d be happily married by now with a kid on the way. Instead you two weren’t compatible, she felt that quickly and cut it off.

Frankly too these posts are frustrating, as I think Wizard said, when you obsess over a gal like this calling her a unicorn and really not respecting her disinterest in you, it shows you look at her more as an object you obtain than a person. How do you think she’d feel to know some guy she rejected is years later still wondering the what ifs on whether it was ever meant to be, when you simply crushed on her over IG.

-GC

Frankly too these posts are frustrating, as I think Wizard said, when you obsess over a gal like this calling her a unicorn and really not respecting her disinterest in you, it shows you look at her more as an object you obtain than a person. How do you think she’d feel to know some guy she rejected is years later still wondering the what ifs on whether it was ever meant to be, when you simply crushed on her over IG.

-GC
Wow. I have actually worried that I objectify women for years, mustered the courage to ask a therapist and a close woman friend a couple years back, but this is the first time someone said I do seem to do that. Now very concerned about my state of mind

really not respecting her disinterest in you
Really curious about how I am doing this. I have not spoken to her since she ghosted me 4 years ago and never plan to again for obvious reasons. Is it because she keeps popping up in my mind?

I am just having a very hard time letting go of this because I have always had a very hard time finding someone who meets my standards being interested in me back. I have had a couple of girlfriends over the years, but I always "lowered my expectations" to certain degrees, because I felt that was the best I could do, and that always backfired. So, knowing that I have trouble finding what I want, and having an online experience where this woman who I was very attracted to in multiple ways seemed to be intrigued at first (giving me her number when I asked her out), and having this be the only experience where I felt excited about someone, it's tough to let this go. All I can do now is improve myself and increase my chances of finding someone I like who could be interested back. Whether that's socially, financially, with mental health and various things, reading about meditation or martial arts here on Bluelight. Whatever it is. But I posted this thread because I was talking to a friend recently, my dating struggles came up, and he said something to the effect of "Yes, there are some people that are just that amazing. If you know someone like that, by all means try, but don't dedicate yourself to tracing a unicorn. They probably can't be caught if they are even there" and it reminded me of her, and produced some anxiety.

And I guess another big reason why I am focusing so much on this online situation is because I kind of developed agoraphobia 3 years ago. That combined with the lockdown and also postponing dating due to self improvement and previous bad experiences

Last edited: