• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Diazepam, mirtazapine and alcohol

Dragonkiller

Greenlighter
Hi,

I am currently on mirtazapine (15mg) for depression and anxiety.

I am planning a night of heavy drinking, but the problem is alcohol on its own (no matter how much) does not allow me to fully lose my inhibitions. Is it safe to add maybe just 5mg of diazepam to this combination?

Thanks

Last edited:
^Mixing all three of those is potentiation city....and really not something I would recommend merely for "losing your inhibitions"... Drug cocktails where you combine a bunch of different stuff is how many people die...Keep it simple...

Yeah, realistically...if you're tolerant to the 15 mgs mitrazipine, some moderate drinking might not be the worst thing in the world, but it's still not a great idea...but throwing any thing else into the mix, like diazepam...definitely not a good idea! And completely unnecessary!

From an HR standpoint, you should take a lower dose of the mitrazipine than usual if you're planning to drink heavily....but even if you just didn't care about living, there's no good reason to combine the three...don't do it!

Thanks for your reply. I will skip the diazepam. As for the mirtazapine, I know it has a pretty long half-life (20-40 hours). I started it only a few weeks ago; I have taken 315mg over the course of 17 days (started with 15mg, and recently increased to 30mg). I am planning to have the drinking session tomorrow, so I will skip the mirtazapine today and tomorrow.

This should be okay?

Thanks

^From my limited understanding of mitrazipine, there is withdrawal associated with it, so I would personally still take a small amount, just to make sure, even despite the half-life...

^From my limited understanding of mitrazipine, there is withdrawal associated with it, so I would personally still take a small amount, just to make sure, even despite the half-life...

For some people. I was on 30mg a day for a year and whenever I wanted to get high on something other than weed I would skip taking the mirtazapine. I never went more than 2 days but I never felt any withdrawal. When I came off it altogether I did a painless one week taper and never looked back.

Well, there you go...The half-life is apparently long enough to tide over some people!

I read somewhere that mirtazapine block the receptors that diazepam bind to so it would be a waste
But I have also skipped doses of mirtazapine and felt okay

If you suffer from

depression and anxiety.

You should avoid drinking alcohol at all. Especially heavy drinking. The hangover and Gaba Rebound will cause your symptoms to get worse.
Why do you want to do something so counterproductive to your condition?

I read somewhere that mirtazapine block the receptors that diazepam bind to so it would be a waste

No. This is not right. Taking Diazepam with Mirtazapine will more likely potentiate the sedative properties of both meds.

This honestly aside from sounding potentially dangerous, sounds like it might just make you really sleepy. Also I am sure you know this but depression and anxiety + alcohol = a bad time. Usually you end up with situations making everything a little bit worse than before. Now the losing inhibitions thing must be due to your anxiety... is this a difficulty in talking to the opposite sex? Usually people who rely on alcohol to meet others form friendships or relationships based on a lie or a mutated version of yourself. Even if it works out in the short term you will either have to be drunk every time you meet up with the person (which ends in tragedy) or they will quickly just lose interest because you are not the person they met. Alcohol and depression ruins lives and tends to make everything worse. Your best bet honestly is to try to cut alcohol from the relationships making side of things and work on yourself until you can handle situations without 'liquid courage.'

The Mad "Hatter" Dash has spoken. I completely agree. The combo will probably just fuck you up uncomfortably and could lead to actions you will regret the next day which worsens your depression and anxiety. Not a good idea at all, even without the Diazepam.