• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Dexedrine IR/Dexamphetamine chronic low-dose tolerance

And12

Greenlighter
I am prescribed low-dose Dexamphetamine tablets 2.5 mg up to x4 times a day for ADHD. Sometimes I will take 5mg for an extra boost but not very often. My doc has me flexible on that.

I also supplement:

30mg Zinc citrate
Omega 3
Vitamin D 5,000iu per day
(though I am considering dropping this to 2,000iu) -- as I write this I haven't taken my vitamin D in a couple of days
Magnesium Glycinate at night - I have just started this recently upon realising I need to up my magnesium intake when supplementing vitamin D and taking dexamphetamine

I am a 24 year old male. But of late I have been experiencing rubbish orgasms and difficult to achieve and maintain erections. I rarely get boners these days and feel like my libido has subsided somewhat in recent times. My genitals always just feel like they are a little bit shrivelled up.
Anyway - I realised recently that sometimes when I am coming of dexamphetamine that it can be easier to obtain an erection etc. Though in the past taking dexamphetamine (particularly on an empty stomach late afternoon before evening meal) it has made me a little horny, but this hasn't happened for some time now.
I haven't taken a break or drug holiday from dexamphetamine in quite some time. Probably well over a year now. I am considering taking a day off the drug over the weekend and perhaps make that into a thing.

The last time I took a break from it was well over a year ago and it only had a duration of 9 hours - but I remember at the time that it was a bit hard to endure but when I went back onto the dexamphetamine again it was fantastic, medicine worked much better etc. I assume this is because the receptors have been allowed to upregulate.

Does anyone know of any theories as to how taking a break from dex after chronic long-term low dose treatment could restore sexual functioning?
Also interested to know about the general benefits of taking a break from dex have.

I am prescribed low-dose Dexamphetamine tablets 2.5 mg up to x4 times a day for ADHD. Sometimes I will take 5mg for an extra boost but not very often. My doc has me flexible on that.

I also supplement:

30mg Zinc citrate
Omega 3
Vitamin D 5,000iu per day
(though I am considering dropping this to 2,000iu) -- as I write this I haven't taken my vitamin D in a couple of days
Magnesium Glycinate at night - I have just started this recently upon realising I need to up my magnesium intake when supplementing vitamin D and taking dexamphetamine

I am a 24 year old male. But of late I have been experiencing rubbish orgasms and difficult to achieve and maintain erections. I rarely get boners these days and feel like my libido has subsided somewhat in recent times. My genitals always just feel like they are a little bit shrivelled up.
Anyway - I realised recently that sometimes when I am coming of dexamphetamine that it can be easier to obtain an erection etc. Though in the past taking dexamphetamine (particularly on an empty stomach late afternoon before evening meal) it has made me a little horny, but this hasn't happened for some time now.
I haven't taken a break or drug holiday from dexamphetamine in quite some time. Probably well over a year now. I am considering taking a day off the drug over the weekend and perhaps make that into a thing.

The last time I took a break from it was well over a year ago and it only had a duration of 9 hours - but I remember at the time that it was a bit hard to endure but when I went back onto the dexamphetamine again it was fantastic, medicine worked much better etc. I assume this is because the receptors have been allowed to upregulate.

Does anyone know of any theories as to how taking a break from dex after chronic long-term low dose treatment could restore sexual functioning?
Also interested to know about the general benefits of taking a break from dex have.

You're taking a rather low daily dose of dextroamphetamine given that it's usually dosed/Rxed on a mg/Kg of body weight basis. In any event, amphetamine can increase or reduce libido in people and it does sometimes cause temporary erectile dysfunction. These are not permanent side effects. You should probably just increase your dose; tolerance generally plateaus at higher doses for most people.

Wellbutrin is prescribed off-label for ADHD, and has boosted the effects of both stimulants I've taken on it - Ritalin before and now Vyvanse. It works like an SSRI but instead of serotonin increases and regulates levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain, but in a different way than the amphetamines/methylphenidates and is long term, takes a few weeks to build up like an SSRI. It's known for increasing libido and pretty much cancels out the effects of medications killing sex drive. In my own experience it made me a lot more sexual.

It is best to wait 3 days between amphetamine re dosages.