Dexedrine IR/Dexamphetamine chronic low-dose tolerance

And12

Greenlighter
I am prescribed low-dose Dexamphetamine tablets 2.5 mg up to x4 times a day for ADHD. Sometimes I will take 5mg for an extra boost but not very often. My doc has me flexible on that.

I also supplement:

30mg Zinc citrate
Omega 3
Vitamin D 5,000iu per day
(though I am considering dropping this to 2,000iu) -- as I write this I haven't taken my vitamin D in a couple of days
Magnesium Glycinate at night - I have just started this recently upon realising I need to up my magnesium intake when supplementing vitamin D and taking dexamphetamine

I am a 24 year old male. But of late I have been experiencing rubbish orgasms and difficult to achieve and maintain erections. I rarely get boners these days and feel like my libido has subsided somewhat in recent times. My genitals always just feel like they are a little bit shrivelled up.
Anyway - I realised recently that sometimes when I am coming of dexamphetamine that it can be easier to obtain an erection etc. Though in the past taking dexamphetamine (particularly on an empty stomach late afternoon before evening meal) it has made me a little horny, but this hasn't happened for some time now.
I haven't taken a break or drug holiday from dexamphetamine in quite some time. Probably well over a year now. I am considering taking a day off the drug over the weekend and perhaps make that into a thing.

The last time I took a break from it was well over a year ago and it only had a duration of 9 hours - but I remember at the time that it was a bit hard to endure but when I went back onto the dexamphetamine again it was fantastic, medicine worked much better etc. I assume this is because the receptors have been allowed to upregulate.

Does anyone know of any theories as to how taking a break from dex after chronic long-term low dose treatment could restore sexual functioning?
Also interested to know about the general benefits of taking a break from dex have.

Seppi

Bluelighter
I am prescribed low-dose Dexamphetamine tablets 2.5 mg up to x4 times a day for ADHD. Sometimes I will take 5mg for an extra boost but not very often. My doc has me flexible on that.

I also supplement:

30mg Zinc citrate
Omega 3
Vitamin D 5,000iu per day
(though I am considering dropping this to 2,000iu) -- as I write this I haven't taken my vitamin D in a couple of days
Magnesium Glycinate at night - I have just started this recently upon realising I need to up my magnesium intake when supplementing vitamin D and taking dexamphetamine

I am a 24 year old male. But of late I have been experiencing rubbish orgasms and difficult to achieve and maintain erections. I rarely get boners these days and feel like my libido has subsided somewhat in recent times. My genitals always just feel like they are a little bit shrivelled up.
Anyway - I realised recently that sometimes when I am coming of dexamphetamine that it can be easier to obtain an erection etc. Though in the past taking dexamphetamine (particularly on an empty stomach late afternoon before evening meal) it has made me a little horny, but this hasn't happened for some time now.
I haven't taken a break or drug holiday from dexamphetamine in quite some time. Probably well over a year now. I am considering taking a day off the drug over the weekend and perhaps make that into a thing.

The last time I took a break from it was well over a year ago and it only had a duration of 9 hours - but I remember at the time that it was a bit hard to endure but when I went back onto the dexamphetamine again it was fantastic, medicine worked much better etc. I assume this is because the receptors have been allowed to upregulate.

Does anyone know of any theories as to how taking a break from dex after chronic long-term low dose treatment could restore sexual functioning?
Also interested to know about the general benefits of taking a break from dex have.
You're taking a rather low daily dose of dextroamphetamine given that it's usually dosed/Rxed on a mg/Kg of body weight basis. In any event, amphetamine can increase or reduce libido in people and it does sometimes cause temporary erectile dysfunction. These are not permanent side effects. You should probably just increase your dose; tolerance generally plateaus at higher doses for most people.

som3dankbudz

Bluelighter
A break would be a huge help, or adding low dose gabanergic of some kind. Maybe even low dose benzo both before sexual interaction. If you don't have access, or don't wanna mess with substances of that nature then I would recommend clonidine. I doubt the inability to keep an erection is due to vaso constriction, or in general due to stimulation from released monoamine and built up metabolized DA->.NE later on after dosing. Norepinephrine mainly. Due to some glutaminergic disturbances caused by any dose of dexamphetamine; you might have had that side effect a couple of times due to vaso constriction, or other peripheral stimulation. Therefore; especially when stimulated by a monoamine releaser; you will due to fear and so called "self consciousness" of this side effect. Due to glutamergic disturbances; from stress on gabanergic system. Which is busting its ass to regulate the released monoamines from dexamp. And downstream effect of dexamp causing more glutamate firing, bc more DA is in the synapses and released. So the reward of having a erection to have sexual intercourse, and the reward from intercourse itself. Sense due to genuine stimulation and vaso constriction at first before tolerance is formed having reptile disfuction; your glutamergic system being all whacked up from the released DA, and inability to be regulated due to stress on the gabanergic system by the dexamp. You will have excess glutamate firing when the chance of reward from the sexual stimuli; making a "in your head" type performance anxiety; with the fear of not being able to get an erection. With the gabanergic system not being able to regulate this glutamirgic activity. The fear will compromise your ability to get an erection. I recommend you switch to chelated magnesium(magnesium aspartate is highly bio available, and helps balance out ca, and ca2+ channels; mainly for the nmda antagonism. Which will help with the excess glutamergic firing.) I see your already taking a kind of magnesium; magnesium glycitate. I'm not sure as to why that is your choice as far as more bio available forms of magnesium go. If you care to share the advantage if any to the glycitate formula then that'd be great. I recommend once again some kind of very small dose gabanergic, or maybe very low dose benzodiazepine; idealy rarely. Just to prove to yourself; that you can still get an erection. That will help with glutamergic patterns that condem you to not being able to get it up. Clonidine once again is another option; especially if the issue is vaso constriction. A vast dilator, and alpha 2 noradrenic blocker. Don't know much about the pharmacology of this one. Used to treat high blood pressure, and stimulant side effects. Also ADHD; in some cases even without a stimulant. Like its relative Inutiv(guanfacine). Maniipulates your brain into regulating norepinephrine. I might be wrong about that last part, idk. Hope you get yourself straightened out; its a temporary problem that will be solved hopefully. In other words we'll get to the bottom of it!

ac360

Bluelighter
Wellbutrin is prescribed off-label for ADHD, and has boosted the effects of both stimulants I've taken on it - Ritalin before and now Vyvanse. It works like an SSRI but instead of serotonin increases and regulates levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain, but in a different way than the amphetamines/methylphenidates and is long term, takes a few weeks to build up like an SSRI. It's known for increasing libido and pretty much cancels out the effects of medications killing sex drive. In my own experience it made me a lot more sexual.

som3dankbudz

Bluelighter
Wellbutrin is prescribed off-label for ADHD, and has boosted the effects of both stimulants I've taken on it - Ritalin before and now Vyvanse. It works like an SSRI but instead of serotonin increases and regulates levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain, but in a different way than the amphetamines/methylphenidates and is long term, takes a few weeks to build up like an SSRI. It's known for increasing libido and pretty much cancels out the effects of medications killing sex drive. In my own experience it made me a lot more sexual.
SSRI’s regulate DA and NE in a far different way then you’d expect. It is believed that DA and 5-HT are somewhat polar to each other. SSRI’s raise 5-HT levels and lower DA levels acutely. By lowering DA levels acutely; so there is much less glutamate firing. Resulting in a very different behavioral pattern. Sertraline for example inhibits glutamate firing by inhibiting K+ channels. Where the membrane potential for the Astrocyte that collects the glutamnergic neuron is increased. Therefore glutamate that is fired is picked up or reuptake of the neuron is happens much more quickly. Sertraline is known to chosen for treatment of OCD for this reason. Therefore tolerance to the raised 5-HT forms from sertraline; while glutamate reuptake still is induced. So firing of DA is corrected(guess you could say?) after tolerance is formed, and new behavioral patterns are observed because of decreased glutamate in the synapses. While DA begins to raise again as a way to maintain homeostasis. Therefore there is a new perception and different stimuli by altering even the littlest rituals, or even just regular rewarding behavior(also just behavior in general). The intensity of these rituals would be decreased technically. These glutamergic patterns of behavior being altered or “corrected” can be very useful in treating depression. [Can’t find the source at the moment it’s on nhcm, and or Ncbi.] Any corrections to this post would be wonderful; I’m still learning. That’s one theory IMO how SSRI’s can be used to treat depression, and other disorders. I read here many years ago that it is still unknown exactly how SSRI’S treat depression, and other mental disorders.

I didn’t get into any “downstream” effects that sertraline for example would have one the gabanergic system if anybody else has any input. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dresden

Bluelighter
It is best to wait 3 days between amphetamine re dosages.