• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Detox

Maryjane410

Bluelighter
I relapsed about a year ago and I'm so tired of going thru this. I want to get clean so bad but first signs of wd and I'm using again. I really want to go somewhere that does a medical detox but don't know how to go about doing it. I know its the only way I will be able to do it. If I can get in a place today I will go. Does anyone know if you go to an emergency department if they will get you in somewhere? Or will they just send me away? Im right outside of baltimore City so I know there is places Im just having trouble finding one to go right now.

I’m not from there but I know all over the country going to detox should be an easy and welcoming experience since they want you to get clean. IME I went to the ER cause I was having terrible withdrawals and panic attack. I don’t remember what they gave me. Maybe a shot of morphine or vicodin to take the edge off and then sent someone to talk to me and set things up for my first appointment. I live near seattle and had no problem getting set up and on suboxone. You didn’t say but I’m assuming you’re on an opiate like heroine or oxy, correct?

I’m not from there but I know all over the country going to detox should be an easy and welcoming experience since they want you to get clean. IME I went to the ER cause I was having terrible withdrawals and panic attack. I don’t remember what they gave me. Maybe a shot of morphine or vicodin to take the edge off and then sent someone to talk to me and set things up for my first appointment. I live near seattle and had no problem getting set up and on suboxone. You didn’t say but I’m assuming you’re on an opiate like heroine or oxy, correct?
Its supposed to be heroin but I'm pretty sure its straight fent. I've done the suboxone for 3 years and stayed clean. They wanted me to start coming back everyday and i couldn't get there everyday so I stopped going. Thats when I started using again cause I was scared of wd. Do you think the emergency dept would set me up to go to a medical detox? If i could get passed wd I could do the rest out patient I just really want help to get passed the sickness im so scared.

Its supposed to be heroin but I'm pretty sure its straight fent. I've done the suboxone for 3 years and stayed clean. They wanted me to start coming back everyday and i couldn't get there everyday so I stopped going. Thats when I started using again cause I was scared of wd. Do you think the emergency dept would set me up to go to a medical detox? If i could get passed wd I could do the rest out patient I just really want help to get passed the sickness im so scared.
I think it’s a good place to start. I haven’t ever stayed at a detox center, but I if we’re you I would go to the ER and tell them the truth. Maybe exaggerate how bad you feel but let them know why. I’m sure you’re aware of the PW but remember if you start suboxone therepy again that the wait time is longer since the fent in H stores in your cells so you’d have to wait an extended period of time between your last dose of “H” and your reintroduction to suboxone.

I forgot to add that I really honestly emphasize with you and I’m not sure of your situation but you sound alone and you shouldn’t have to go thru it alone, physically or emotionally. The thoughts scares the hell out of me and I’m no doctor and I still take oxy tho it’s not a lot the withdrawal is hell and I never got past the first stages. I’ve always found a way to no be in withdrawal but I hope you get help or someone on here who lives near by can help you cause I really do feel for you. God bless you

I’ve been to detox/psychward/ICUmore than 50+ times for alcohol related anxiety attacks/acute withdrawal/poisoning and then spend 4-7 days hanging out with other alcohol and opiate and benzo abusers. It all starts in the ER. Just present yourself to the triage nurse and tell them you think you are having withdrawal symptoms and from what substances.

Be patient, but within 20-45 minutes they will give you something to take the adage off, 9/10 it is 1mg of Ativan. You’ll hang out in ER for 1-2 hours roughly, and at some point someone will come in and suggest you find a bed in a detox center. Usually once you say that you would like that, a social worker will call around and find an open bed for you. I’ve noticed since Covid, and sometimes when I visited very busy hospitals pre-Covid, instead they will give you a phone and a list of detox centers and you call around and ask yourself.

Many hospitals have a detox center associated with them and it might just be a matter of being wheelchaired to it. A lot of times your next step is an ambulance ride.

At the detox center you’ll go through a orientation, usually you and your possessions will be searched as they don’t want drugs being smuggled in. If you don’t have clothing or inadequate clothing they will find you some Johnies or some places have clothing donations to find stuff in. They usually hook you up with some hygiene stuff. You will be shown to your bed, usually there are 2-4 beds in each room. You usually have a little cubby for your stuff.

If you know you are going here are things I like to bring:
Slides (or slip on shoes), 4 pairs of underwear, three pairs of comfy pants/shorts, 4 t-shirts, sweatshirt or jacket, winter coat in winter, 2-3 books, personal hygiene items and products, I have adult coloring books I bring but I use their markers and pencils, playing cards, puzzles or puzzle books if you like that sort of thing, other time consuming distractions (nothing with alcohol will be allowed, so no mouthwash, perfume, etc. You can ask for a list of recommended and prohibited items. When you select clothing be aware if it has drawstrings they might only let you have it in unit if you let them pull them out)

You will spend about 1/3 of your time in groups, 1/3 in mealtimes, 1/3 watching TV, coloring, playing cards, etc.

Groups are run by a tech or social worker or therapist and the rest of the patients participate. You are usually required to go to groups but if you feel to sick to (or hate them) just say you do t feel good and they will let you lay in your bed

Oh yes, most places don’t let you have your phone, so before I go I get important numbers and write them in one of my books or my journal. You are going to prolly feel a bit squirrelly at times and being able to reach out and touch someone will relieve that. Don’t forget your doctor/therapists numbers.

Thank you guys so much. I was doing research last night and found out a hospital not to far from me has a program called sbirt. If you go there and let them know you need help they get you into whatever program you agree on whether its in patient or out patient. I'm gonna take care of things today and get a bag of stuff ready so i can have someone bring it to me. Yes i am alone. I don't have any friends. I been staying with my parents since I lost my job cause of covid. They don't know I do anything and the only reason I don't want to tell them is cause I don't want them to worry about me. But I know once I go get help im gonna have to tell them something. And my parents are good people they don't judge so I know they will be there for me once I do tell them whats going on. I'm just worried about going to the er sick and having to wait to get to the back. Again thank you both so much I feel alot better and i can't wait to get this part over with. I want to feel normal again without being on drugs.

Thank you guys so much. I was doing research last night and found out a hospital not to far from me has a program called sbirt. If you go there and let them know you need help they get you into whatever program you agree on whether its in patient or out patient. I'm gonna take care of things today and get a bag of stuff ready so i can have someone bring it to me. Yes i am alone. I don't have any friends. I been staying with my parents since I lost my job cause of covid. They don't know I do anything and the only reason I don't want to tell them is cause I don't want them to worry about me. But I know once I go get help im gonna have to tell them something. And my parents are good people they don't judge so I know they will be there for me once I do tell them whats going on. I'm just worried about going to the er sick and having to wait to get to the back. Again thank you both so much I feel alot better and i can't wait to get this part over with. I want to feel normal again without being on drugs.

Awesome. I'm glad to hear you figured something out. Maryland apparently has some of the most comprehensive treatment options in the country, but I really can't confirm this. As far as I know, they were one of the first states to implement prescribing of Buprenorphine to patients in the Emergency Department. This is typically just a bridge until you can get into a more formal program, but perhaps they can help you find a prescribing doctor, even if it's just a weekly prescription.

Let us know how it goes. Your experience can probably help many more people in a similar situation!

I'm not even trying to be on suboxone. I want to be completely clean. I don't want to worry about losing my insurance and not being able to go. It did help for a long time but tjings happened and i started getting high again. Its been over 5 years since ive been clean except weed.

I'm not even trying to be on suboxone. I want to be completely clean. I don't want to worry about losing my insurance and not being able to go. It did help for a long time but tjings happened and i started getting high again. Its been over 5 years since ive been clean except weed.
Look within, and if that is what you find is true, then that is what you should do. Just double check for addictions traps and subterfuges.

Are you still in treatment? I don’t know how it goes in Maryland, but my last stint of treatment brought me down to sunny Florida, where there were dozens of outfits offering cannabis-friendly addiction treatment programs.

Look within, and if that is what you find is true, then that is what you should do. Just double check for addictions traps and subterfuges.

Are you still in treatment? I don’t know how it goes in Maryland, but my last stint of treatment brought me down to sunny Florida, where there were dozens of outfits offering cannabis-friendly addiction treatment programs.
Haven't made it there yet I had alot of stuff to take care of cause I don't know how long I will be gone. Been trying to only use what I need to get by til that time. I'm hoping I can get a ride tomorrow cause I been procrastinating long enough. I'm ready to be clean just scared to make the first move. I really hope the emergency room will help me.

I wish you all the luck in the world and am confident you will get some good treatment. We all get scared of that first step but down the road are so glad we took it. Stay strong and believe in your heart that you can do this !

I’m so glad you have these options and it sounds like the ER can set you up nicely with the best fit. I’m not alone in saying we are rooting for you and hoping it will be as easy as possible. It’s a hard thing even with the best treatment, but I pray you get thru it quick and with as little pain and discomfort as possible. Please keep us updated. God bless you.