• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Sad Depression and on low dose opiods

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
I’m trying to understand why I’m feeling so damn depressed today and wondering if it is directly linked to using once again Percocet. Averaging 2 tablets a day or 650 mgs (if I’m not mistaken) of oxycodone. Today took about 160 mg oxycodone and one tablet of Tylenol 3. Is it from withdrawal? Can I experience withdrawal from such a difference in amount taken? I feel a huge dark cloud over me and the simplest tasks seem impossible at the moment. I’m just hoping that it’ll change in a few hours.

you're getting 325mg oxycodone tablets? That doesn't sound right unless some homemade/street manufactured, and they're making pills that 1-2 would likely cause fatal OD in anyone without a high tolerance to opioids.

Either way, only taking 1/6 of your average dose will probably put you in some mild withdrawal, and noticeable shift in mood. I'm not sure it will just pass in a few hours... unless you are back to your normal dose, chances are things will get a bit worse for 1-2 weeks before they start to improve. You can taper down, but most say that oxy isn't the best opioid to taper with due to shorter half life and constant need to re-dose in smaller and smaller incriments- none the less, it can be done. Depending on how fast you taper, it will be unpleasant but nothing compared to going cold turkey.

The problem is actually sticking to your taper when the dark clouds are looming over your head and you have a stock of sunshine laying around. At some point you just have to accept it and find other ways to work through the difficult times. Cognitive behavioral therapy is my go to, as it's something you can do on your own and in your head, while at work or in public even. It takes a lot of practice, and generally helps to have someone to help guide you, especially at first. Exercise is great as well, but I'd go very easy if experiencing flu like symptoms.

If there is nothing else bugging you, it's def the drop in oxy. If there is other things bugging you, the drop will probably amplify it.

you're getting 325mg oxycodone tablets? That doesn't sound right unless some homemade/street manufactured, and they're making pills that 1-2 would likely cause fatal OD in anyone without a high tolerance to opioids. .

Either way, only taking 1/6 of your average dose will probably put you in some mild withdrawal, and noticeable shift in mood. I'm not sure it will just pass in a few hours... unless you are back to your normal dose, chances are things will get a bit worse for 1-2 weeks before they start to improve. You can taper down, but most say that oxy isn't the best opioid to taper with due to shorter half life and constant need to re-dose in smaller and smaller incriments- none the less, it can be done. Depending on how fast you taper, it will be unpleasant but nothing compared to going cold turkey.

The problem is actually sticking to your taper when the dark clouds are looming over your head and you have a stock of sunshine laying around. At some point you just have to accept it and find other ways to work through the difficult times. Cognitive behavioral therapy is my go to, as it's something you can do on your own and in your head, while at work or in public even. It takes a lot of practice, and generally helps to have someone to help guide you, especially at first. Exercise is great as well, but I'd go very easy if experiencing flu like symptoms.

If there is nothing else bugging you, it's def the drop in oxy. If there is other things bugging you, the drop will probably amplify it.
My quoting of the oxycodone amount in a single Percocet tablet was incorrect which you found. Really perceptive and helpful replies to my questions. Thank you for helping me understand my symptoms more. Left a negative environment temporarily and I feel better already

Last edited:
glad I could help. Feel free to ask any other questions that you have or that may come up. Withdrawal is a difficult and confusing thing to deal with.

We are here if you want to talk about anything else that might be bugging you as well.

opiates are absolutely horrible for depression. once you’ve been using opiates for a while, as in over a lifetime not in the acute sense, you’re pretty much always in withdrawal while using. and there’s not much else that exacerbates depression like opiate withdrawal.

opiates are absolutely horrible for depression. once you’ve been using opiates for a while, as in over a lifetime not in the acute sense, you’re pretty much always in withdrawal while using. and there’s not much else that exacerbates depression like opiate withdrawal.

Thank you for giving me a new perspective on opiate-use.

I'm always depressed as fuck after a dose of Oxy more than morphine