View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Denatured Nitrous???

JoshLobbs

Bluelight Crew
Hey I was looking into selling Nitrous and the legalities surrounding it and I read that some Nitrous in Denatured and now I'm wondering how is nitrous denatured?
(Denatured meaning just like denatured alcohol it is made unfit for human consumption buy adulteration.)
also how common is Denatured Nitrous? is it just the big bottles?

Automotive nitrous has sulfur dioxide in it to prevent abuse. This would be quite unpleasant as sulphurous acid would be formed in your lungs when the gas mingles with water.

Most nitrous that is abused is food grade (the little whippets and most tanks that are illicit). This is relatively pure (depending on brand as well) but can have some oily gunk if it is low quality stuff.

Medical grade nitrous will be the highest purity because it is designed to go in humans, so will be subject to the most stringent production controls. Fairly rare outside of clinical settings though.

i wonder if there'd be means of purification to remove unwanted compounds, I can only assume that it is denatured in manner of adulteration as most other forms of "denaturing" would result in chemical changes thus altering the substance and it's uses. Idk, could be completely wrong on this, but i'd assume the only difference is purification/removal of intentionally(or untentionlly) adulterants.

maybe a simple water filter would be enough to remove the sulfur dioxide. but also really high so this may problematic for more reasons than one.

i wonder if there'd be means of purification to remove unwanted compounds, I can only assume that it is denatured in manner of adulteration as most other forms of "denaturing" would result in chemical changes thus altering the substance and it's uses. Idk, could be completely wrong on this, but i'd assume the only difference is purification/removal of intentionally(or untentionlly) adulterants.

maybe a simple water filter would be enough to remove the sulfur dioxide. but also really high so this may problematic for more reasons than one.
Yea you could just use a water trap.

I looked into that a while ago when they stopped filling my medical tank. The issue was it is hard to get all the sulfur dioxide out and it doesn't take much to be dangerous.

I looked into that a while ago when they stopped filling my medical tank. The issue was it is hard to get all the sulfur dioxide out and it doesn't take much to be dangerous.
ok so this "tek" I came up with should help.

chill the tank way below -10c (the boiling point of SO2) but not below -89c (the boiling point of nitrous).
slowly bubble the gas through a gasometer so the SO2 that does comes over will turn into sulfuric acid and the Nitrous is stored.
Heat water in gasometer so nitrous desolves out of solution.
use a compressor to put that gas back in a cylinder.
Repeat steps 1-3 until you have Pure nitrous.

2560px-Gasometer.svg.png

I get in enough trouble with carts. As long as Amazon will sell them to me for 30-40 cents each I am not doing chemistry. It is an interesting process tho. What is a 20# "racing" bottle fill going for these days? I think they got up around $40-$50 around 96-97 when I stopped going for the bottles. They stopped handling anything small. 20 or l;ess. The scary thing is the guy said I could still get the "30AL" one that is 4 feet high and 8" around with my account but they were starting to look hard at the users.
Us with that tank would just be dangerous anyway. ;)

ok so this "tek" I came up with should help.

chill the tank way below -10c (the boiling point of SO2) but not below -89c (the boiling point of nitrous).
slowly bubble the gas through a gasometer so the SO2 that does comes over will turn into sulfuric acid and the Nitrous is stored.
Heat water in gasometer so nitrous desolves out of solution.
use a compressor to put that gas back in a cylinder.
Repeat steps 1-3 until you have Pure nitrous.

2560px-Gasometer.svg.png
Why not just get the tank refilled with safe food or medical/dental grade nitrous-oxide, or buy a tank of food grade, or medical grade nitrous-oxide, instead of DIY chemistry on automotive nitrous-oxide?

If you are in the Northeastern USA in most large cities there are places you can easily get a tank filled with food or medical/dental surgery grade nitrous-oxide, or get tanks of the safe grades of nitrous-oxide.

Last edited:
Why not just get the tank refilled with safe food or medical/dental grade nitrous-oxide, or buy a tank of food grade, or medical grade nitrous-oxide, instead of DIY chemistry on automotive nitrous-oxide?

If you are in the Northeastern USA in most large cities there are places you can easily get a tank filled with food or medical/dental surgery grade nitrous-oxide, or get tanks of the safe grades of nitrous-oxide.

That is a lot easier said than done. A lot of places consider that to be a controlled substance. It is easier to get opioids from Dr Feelgood than nitrous.

Last edited:
That is a lot easier said than done. A lot of places consider that to be a controlled substance. It is easier to get opioids from Dr Feelgood than nitrous.
Sell the automotive nitrous to a garage, mechanic, or car enthusiast.

Can you go to a headshop and buy n2o chargers? Or I guess look on Amazon? Or to a store and buy whipped cream in a can?

Sell the automotive nitrous to a garage, mechanic, or car enthusiast.

Can you go to a headshop and buy n2o chargers? Or I guess look on Amazon? Or to a store and buy whipped cream in a can?

I am buying 8G carts by the (600) case. The other guy was talking about a tank. I used to have one but they stopped filling it.

For those of you talking about cartridges, I know a great website that sold hundreds for fairly cheap, best price I've seen. Though I don't know if sourcing Is allowed on here as it's not on most other thread/forums. Anyway, I was reading today about Limewater for something else I'm doing trying to get a base w/o using something as toxic as Lye, and I was reading it is used industrially to get sulfur dioxide out of gaseous solutions. So maybe one could use that above tek and with limewater if they really found a way to economically get auto grade nos cans and a compressor to run the filtered stuff into clean tank.. I'm glad I was reading this post a few days ago and decided to look for it again after reading that bit about the limewater, cause it may help somebody. Lastly I'd like to add that it does vary state to state, but getting an empty tank in mine would either call for some forgery of documents to show the weilding shop, a really well worded con, or a bribe which would defeat the purpose of getting large amounts of nitrous for cheap.

For those of you talking about cartridges, I know a great website that sold hundreds for fairly cheap, best price I've seen. Though I don't know if sourcing Is allowed on here as it's not on most other thread/forums. Anyway, I was reading today about Limewater for something else I'm doing trying to get a base w/o using something as toxic as Lye, and I was reading it is used industrially to get sulfur dioxide out of gaseous solutions. So maybe one could use that above tek and with limewater if they really found a way to economically get auto grade nos cans and a compressor to run the filtered stuff into clean tank.. I'm glad I was reading this post a few days ago and decided to look for it again after reading that bit about the limewater, cause it may help somebody. Lastly I'd like to add that it does vary state to state, but getting an empty tank in mine would either call for some forgery of documents to show the weilding shop, a really well worded con, or a bribe which would defeat the purpose of getting large amounts of nitrous for cheap.
Oh I live in the uk, you can install nitrous in cars, you just can't nitrous boost on public roads.

Anyway thanks for the lye/lime-water tek idea but I found a source for cheap 500g nitrous tanks from china and typically the denatured tanks will run you +£300 each.

Also yea linking off site to shops is frowned upon cause you might be affiliated with the site in question. And its against the B.L.U.A.

Although I think for my purposes the tek wont be useful i do think that gas scrubber teks are an interesting idea and could be incorporated into the clandestine clarification of volatile compounds. Such as ether, nos and butane.

If you can find that article I would be very interested in reading it.

When I finally found a source for the larger tanks, they turned out to be about 3x what you can get carts for by weight if you get a 600 cart case. The price on cases seems to vary wildly tho ($200-300 for 600) , even on the same site. I think they are coming from China and I assume they are sitting in a container in Long Beach waiting for a chassis along with your Christmas toys. Once that log jam ends I expect they will be $200 +/- a buck once supply catches up to demand.