• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Decreased music appreciation on codeine?

If you've ever done meth,
Yup twice and I didn't like it one bit. The one time I actually had a full paranoid breakdown. I was standing in the shower hearing disjointed bits of two flatmates' conversation in the hallway, whereupon my scrambled brain convinced me they were plotting to murder me ; I then ran out into the street stark bollock naked and dripping wet, frantically banging on stranger's doors screaming for someone to save me.
Can you handle edible THC? if so, you can take LSD. Personally I freak out way more from pot brownies than 5 hits of acid... seriously
Don't remind me of pot brownies. I ate 2 in one go not realizing what they were, never having had any cannabis before. There followed an absolutely hellish several hours. XD
.. But yeah these days I quite enjoy the odd gummy.
True, though strong opiates really do numb you in more physical and psychological ways than most other drugs
I was actually looking for that sense of detachment during those years I was using them constantly, because basically I couldn't handle life.
in a way any drug can be used to numb and often are, but opiates are next level compared to pretty much everything else
Strong tranquilizers at high doses do the same, but then that's what they're designed to do. Alcohol does it toa lesser degree, but you have to get really blotto'ed.

Yup twice and I didn't like it one bit. The one time I actually had a full paranoid breakdown. I was standing in the shower hearing disjointed bits of two flatmates' conversation in the hallway, whereupon my scrambled brain convinced me they were plotting to murder me ; I then ran out into the street stark bollock naked and dripping wet, frantically banging on stranger's doors screaming for someone to save me.

Don't remind me of pot brownies. I ate 2 in one go not realizing what they were, never having had any cannabis before. There followed an absolutely hellish several hours. XD
.. But yeah these days I quite enjoy the odd gummy.
OK yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to try psychedelics :(

personally I can handle mild psychosis like a champ, maybe because I'm used to it

but hearing people talking in my bathroom walls doesn't freak me out that much, just annoying

I've heard this from a lot of people and I really think it's an underestimate of their comfort level maybe.

I feel like you're imagining true delirious hallucinations as psychedelic visuals. They're worlds different. I've experienced both, one is amazing and thought provoking and the other is weird and scary, they're totally different in literally every way.

If you've ever done meth, that's really just one or two steps away from psychedelics.

I really think the majority of people who say they couldn't handle a psychedelic high are just thinking about it too much. I wonder about this a lot. Psychedelic trips, especially high dose ones, require a "release of control" in order to make them comfortable or absorb them.

If you've ever done meth/coke/oxy/mdma/k you've also given up this control, you just maybe didn't realize it.

Your point is well-taken, and I agree that some people (like myself) probably underestimate their ability to handle psychedelics. But it doesn't really seem right to say that the "release of control" that happens on a binge with meth or coke or opiates is of the same type as one on psychedelics.

On meth/coke/dope, you release control but instantly get back tremendous pleasure that also shuts out negativity and lets you escape your mind... while on acid/shrooms/DMT, you release control to be taken on an unpredictable "journey to the center of your mind" where you may have to confront feelings of fear, shame, hopelessness, self-loathing, etc.

But it doesn't really seem right to say that the "release of control" that happens on a binge with meth or coke or opiates is of the same type as one on psychedelics.
I'm definitely building some bridges here in my argument for sure. Making a few leaps.

On meth/coke/dope, you release control but instantly get back tremendous pleasure that also shuts out negativity and lets you escape your mind... while on acid/shrooms/DMT, you release control to be taken on an unpredictable "journey to the center of your mind" where you may have to confront feelings of fear, shame, hopelessness, self-loathing, etc.

Yeah that's kinda what I was trying to say. The reward loop with those drugs overrides any predisposition towards not wanting to 'lose control' of their psyche. Eventually the reward gives way to any questioning of stim psychosis or the funny things they saw after being up on stims for 60 hours.

That's kinda where I was going with my point. They end up experiencing the same sort of mental phenomenon as psychedelics without realizing.

maybe, idk, lol just my stream of thought

where you may have to confront feelings of fear, shame, hopelessness, self-loathing, etc.
Hm-hmh. And I have generous helpings of all of these plus a dash of constant existential despair in the overflowing bin inside my head. I don't need to rattle that Pandora's box. I do my level best to keep AWAY from the centre of my mind. I wouldn't have spent 5 of the technically best years of my life all heroined - out, otherwise

if you desire this level of numbness all the time, how much emotional pain must you be in?
Speaking personally, I was at a level of mental anguish where I just wanted the pain to end. On the other hand I have a very strong survival instinct and deep down I was terrified of actually dying.
So sitting slumped in some corner passed out on smack was like a kind of death without permanence. I didn't have to feel but I didn't have to die.
(nearly inadvertently crossed that line many times through ODs)

Speaking personally, I was at a level of mental anguish where I just wanted the pain to end. On the other hand I have a very strong survival instinct and deep down I was terrified of actually dying.
So sitting slumped in some corner passed out on smack was like a kind of death without permanence. I didn't have to feel but I didn't have to die.
(nearly inadvertently crossed that line many times through ODs)
Honestly this whole thing makes me realize how fucking lucky I am in many ways, one of them being hating that feeling of clinical numbness to where I prefer literally screaming in pain for hours. Of course, I'm not even in WDs yet properly so I have that to look forward to haha. Time to beg for gabapentinoids until they relent 😎

Honestly this whole thing makes me realize how fucking lucky I am in many ways, one of them being hating that feeling of clinical numbness to where I prefer literally screaming in pain for hours. Of course, I'm not even in WDs yet properly so I have that to look forward to haha. Time to beg for gabapentinoids until they relent 😎
It has to be said though that it's not thar dramatic with everyone. While very probably a majority of heavy opiate users misuse the drug because of some mental health / life situation issues issues and the main goal of using is to distance yourself from your emotions and take a break from your consciousness, you do get people who just have a bit too much of a taste for it, and once physical dependence develops they then feel trapped with the habit, because they can't quite figure out how to navigate the WDs.

Last edited:
Perhaps thats why all these rock star lead singers were such big dope fiends.
haha!! They didn’t have great voices just the lack of inhibition. But we probably have very different definitions of what is a good singing voice. 😜

Also to OP, codeine is one of the best to withdraw from.

I’ve always been on some sort of opioid/opiate and I play piano, it’s never dulled music for me but then I’m not typical at all in regards to my drug metabolism so… it means fuck all to this conversation.

Also to OP, codeine is one of the best to withdraw from.
Yeah it's much weaker than say morphine, and will cause less withdrawals.
I’ve always been on some sort of opioid/opiate and I play piano, it’s never dulled music for me
It generally hasn't for me either. Sometimes I even seem to feel it more.

... For me the effect seems to entirely depend not just on the dose but also the company I'm doing it in (if in company).
I'm on some right now this minute and listening to some music and finding it extremely enjoyable

Opiates enhance music for me, but it depends on which opiate it is.

Tramadol & heroin use to make me really love looped-industrial noise. I could sit and listen to repetitive noise music for hours & hours and just feel like I was a trance. Completely entertained, nodding out, everything.

However, opioids like buprenorphine only carried this enhanced music appreciation effect for the first few times I tried it with no tolerance.
After that tho, music became boring on buprenorphine. Which sucks cause music is my life. Oddly, I find reading things more fun on bupe though & I use to hate reading.

Opiates enhance music for me, but it depends on which opiate it is.
I generally feel like I 'get into' any kind of favourite music more when I'm on heroin (and the same goes for alcohol). Seems to allow me to access the emotional aspect more. I can just sit there for a couple hours at a time listening and floating away on the sound. For me it enhances my appreciation, it doesn't detract from it.

Opiates don't actually enhance anything. If they do, then that's simply a reaction to the shitty experiences you've had before. Opiates numb everything and that is all they're good for tbh.

Back when i drank seeds (or at least their latexy coats), i really loved nodding off to random bhangra mixes from the internet. The association is still fairly strong for me and i haven't had any seeds in 3 years.

I don't consider opiates/opioids "numbing" as in making one or their experiences dull, as FUBAR suggests. Maybe that's his experience with opioids, but it's not universal of course.

Actually I found heroin & tramadol to increase my ability to feel more positive emotions.
Everyone around me always knew when I was high on them because I had more self confidence, more stamina, more patience (some times) and mood stability (if you ignore the opiate-induced irritability that some times happens) etc..

They even made me more romantic & cuddly. One time I shared some heroin with 2 friends (a male & a female) and we all had low tolerances at the time & we felt so damn good that we all 3 just wanted to cuddle together (cheesy, I know) and nodded and talked about how amazing we felt in that moment. It felt great to share intimacy with people (not necessarily sexual). It was almost serene and the act of doing it increased that lovey-dovey feeling, which of course intensified the euphoria even more.

To me this is being 'enhanced'. The only thing opiates 'numb' for me is emotional & physical pain,which is a good thing. But they do not blunt my ability to still feel, like SSRI's or benzos or something would.

Most of my time spent on heroin, tramadol, etc.. was spent listening to music & burning holes in everything around me while chain smoking. Music had much more of a body rush & even an emotional rush when I was using heroin/tramadol/etc...

In fact, I'd say on the peak of heroin, it's almost like a state of nirvana, total bliss, contentment, peace...Almost spiritual (for me anyway. I wouldn't call it dull by any means.

But as I mentioned earlier, I found that some opioids lack this musical & emphathogenic quality (i.e. buprenorphine, fent, etc..)

However, this is just my experience. Of course everyone will be different.

Last edited:
I generally feel like I 'get into' any kind of favourite music more when I'm on heroin (and the same goes for alcohol). Seems to allow me to access the emotional aspect more. I can just sit there for a couple hours at a time listening and floating away on the sound. For me it enhances my appreciation, it doesn't detract from it.
Alcohol definitely has that musical appreciation.

It's weird cause certain drugs make me like certain genres. I mean I typically like them all no matter what, but I find myself listening to certain ones more depending on the drug I'm using.

Alcohol always made me want to listen to darkwave, goth rock, black metal, synthpop, sappy stuff, etc... If I was angry and drunk, then it would be stuff like grindcore, goregrind. punk, etc..
Music on alcohol is what keeps me awake on the shit, otherwise I'd just pass out. Unfortunately I don't get any positive benefits from alcohol now a days.

Heroin & tramadol made me listen to a lot of industrial noise, power electronics, death industrial. In fact it was one of my hobbies to find new crazy trance inducing noise music and then upload it to youtube every time I went on a heroin or tramadol binge.

DXM made me wanna listen to EBM/Electro, Psychedelic & Weird Experimental synth stuff, along with good party music & even ritual industrial music as well.

MDMD & meth give some musical appreciation but I don't have a specific preference on these ones,, it's more all over the place (kinda like my mind).

I'm sure no one cares lol but I find it interesting & thought I'd mention.

I don't consider opiates/opioids "numbing" as in making one or their experiences dull, as FUBAR suggests. Maybe that's his experience with opioids, but it's not universal of course.

Actually I found heroin & tramadol to increase my ability to feel more positive emotions.
Everyone around me always knew when I was high on them because I had more self confidence, more stamina, more patience (some times) and mood stability (if you ignore the opiate-induced irritability that some times happens) etc..

They even made me more romantic & cuddly. One time I shared some heroin with 2 friends (a male & a female) and we all had low tolerances at the time & we felt so damn good that we all 3 just wanted to cuddle together (cheesy, I know) and nodded and talked about how amazing we felt in that moment. It felt great to share intimacy with people (not necessarily sexual). It was almost serene and the act of doing it increased that lovey-dovey feeling, which of course intensified the euphoria even more.

To me this is being 'enhanced'. The only thing opiates 'numb' for me is emotional & physical pain,which is a good thing. But they do not blunt my ability to still feel, like SSRI's or benzos or something would.

Most of my time spent on heroin, tramadol, etc.. was spent listening to music & burning holes in everything around me while chain smoking. Music had much more of a body rush & even an emotional rush when I was using heroin/tramadol/etc...

In fact, I'd say on the peak of heroin, it's almost like a state of nirvana, total bliss, contentment, peace...Almost spiritual (for me anyway. I wouldn't call it dull by any means.

But as I mentioned earlier, I found that some opioids lack this musical & emphathogenic quality (i.e. buprenorphine, fent, etc..)

However, this is just my experience. Of course everyone will be different.
100% agree about it being an enhancement rather than blunting. Benzos and mdma comedowns make me feel blunted as a counterexample.

You have a strong preference for weed Death? I've always loved it with music and pretty much in combo with every drug I take, but I am aware of an elite group of opioid users who loathe the stuff, just wondering where you fall.

100% agree about it being an enhancement rather than blunting. Benzos and mdma comedowns make me feel blunted as a counterexample.

You have a strong preference for weed Death? I've always loved it with music and pretty much in combo with every drug I take, but I am aware of an elite group of opioid users who loathe the stuff, just wondering where you fall.
Lmao, at first, I was like.... "What is weed Death?" lol And then I finally realized what you meant. haha. :LOL:

And yes! Weed & music are a must. In fact, weed & anything is a must. Weed can enhance a movie, it can enhance music, it can enhance a drug, it can enhance a moonlit walk & it can enhance a good meal! Absolutely love my cannabis with everything I do.

I find that I need weed to make my other daily medicines "work" honestly. Without THC in some form, I feel no mood lift from my meds. Some times it can make them "too" strong.

Lmao, at first, I was like.... "What is weed Death?" lol And then I finally realized what you meant. haha. :LOL:

And yes! Weed & music are a must. In fact, weed & anything is a must. Weed can enhance a movie, it can enhance music, it can enhance a drug, it can enhance a moonlit walk & it can enhance a good meal! Absolutely love my cannabis with everything I do.

I find that I need weed to make my other daily medicines "work" honestly. Without THC in some form, I feel no mood lift from my meds. Some times it can make them "too" strong.
It's a great enhancer. Sometimes I forget its a worthy drug on its own.

You got a preferred nickname? I don't think Death is the most creative thing out there, but it has a certain grandeur which I think works well.

I should also point out that the music appreciation on these drugs is till there without weed. But of course with THC ontop if it, I can actually get those full body "chills" still from music every once in awhile & will listen to it on repeat for a few days until I get bored of it. lol