• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Decreased music appreciation on codeine?

Aqlis

Discord Admin; Peas & Pasta Czar
Staff member
Drs increased frequency of codeine dosing to help with injury related pain, it works wonders but songs that would provoke a reaction do nothing for me now. I was under the impression that generally opiates would increase music appreciation rather than the opposite? I assume this is due to the emotional numbness / apathy which means enjoyment derived from emotional connection to the song is missing. Any observations / similar experiences?

Drs increased frequency of codeine dosing to help with injury related pain, it works wonders but songs that would provoke a reaction do nothing for me now. I was under the impression that generally opiates would increase music appreciation rather than the opposite? I assume this is due to the emotional numbness / apathy which means enjoyment derived from emotional connection to the song is missing. Any observations / similar experiences?

Yes. All opiates subdue emotional responses to anything. This is both a blessing and a curse...

If nothing else I've gained additional empathy for people addicted to opiates - if you desire this level of numbness all the time, how much emotional pain must you be in? Like, damn. I've also lost interest in recreational use and want off them ASAP but I imagine it's easier said than done...

Most opioids are pretty detrimental to music perception. They put up this sort of disconnective barrier between you and the music. As a musician this can be problematic.

Certain opioids are less problematic, most notably is kratom, which is least disruptive in this regard. I have even been able to write some decent music on it.

Also, morphine and heroin in particular have the interesting quality of improving singing ability, which seems to result from a combination of diaphragm relaxation and the generally disinhibition and anxiolysis from being high on opioids. I don't really feel comfortable singing much, probably too tense, but for some reason I feel the urge to do it sometimes particularly with morphine and heroin. Also it seems to improve the vocal quality; I have a very deep voice but opioids, particularly heroin, drop it down even further, which gives it a nice rich sound.

Perhaps thats why all these rock star lead singers were such big dope fiends.

The worst opioids for music are ones with less selectively for mu opioid receptor over the kappa opioid receptor. For example, I find oxycodone less music friendly than morphine, at least for making music. More kappa opioid receptor activity means more disconnective effects and more irritability. Listening to music in the very first phase of the oxycodone high can be nice however.

Most opioids are pretty detrimental to music perception. They put up this sort of disconnective barrier between you and the music. As a musician this can be problematic.

Certain opioids are less problematic, most notably is kratom, which is least disruptive in this regard. I have even been able to write some decent music on it.

Also, morphine and heroin in particular have the interesting quality of improving singing ability, which seems to result from a combination of diaphragm relaxation and the generally disinhibition and anxiolysis from being high on opioids. I don't really feel comfortable singing much, probably too tense, but for some reason I feel the urge to do it sometimes particularly with morphine and heroin. Also it seems to improve the vocal quality; I have a very deep voice but opioids, particularly heroin, drop it down even further, which gives it a nice rich sound.

Perhaps thats why all these rock star lead singers were such big dope fiends.

The worst opioids for music are ones with less selectively for mu opioid receptor over the kappa opioid receptor. For example, I find oxycodone less music friendly than morphine, at least for making music.
Interesting, I have found singing to be of completely no interest now on a higher dose of codeine, though this wasn't the case with heroin - perhaps due to its higher euphoria:emotional numbness ratio? My voice has also become so deep I can't imagine myself or anyone else enjoying my singing, it'd take great effort to sound like my usual self but I'm also otherwise very exhausted which explains a lot of the undesirable effects.

Faces

I actually listened to it early today before I got super fucked on opiates and had an amazing time, forgot just how good it is, especially 'Friends' stood out to me lyrically this time around, so many great lines. Bet I'd feel very little if i listened now though x_x

I actually listened to it early today before I got super fucked on opiates and had an amazing time, forgot just how good it is, especially 'Friends' stood out to me lyrically this time around, so many great lines. Bet I'd feel very little if i listened now though x_x
nicee man. I always listen to it when im skiing. usually put on my fav tracks ( rain w vince staples, friends, polo jeans, happy birthday, funeral, Diablo, new faces v2, and grand finale) but I listen to it front to back about once every 2 months Its too fucking good, so many good lines man. I've loved Faces and Mac since discovering them around mid-2016 and when I was super heavy in the bag ( still kinda am lol) but I could not listen to it when I heard mac had passed. All the lines and bars hit too different and hard.... took me a while to play it again. He was a fucking mad scientist genius... "We love and miss you Mac" (Young Sinatra IV) <3

Last edited:
Being addicted to opiates hasn't really lowered my music appreciation, as a general matter. But when I'm actually high, then I do lose interest in music and start to find a lot of it kind of annoying. Conversely, getting sick can be sort of fun as a natural way to really get deep into music... I always know withdrawals are kicking in when my eyes start welling up with tears listening to Fleetwood Mac on the radio or something ridiculous like that.

I personally don't find I appreciate music less. I'm just less attentive and listen more passively. I enjoy having very calm music playing under the influence, at low volume ; the sort of music that just undemandingly meanders on. Like Gregorian chant for instance. I find it increases the peaceful feelings and I just sort of dream and drift along.

Conversely if I 'm high when singing in public, I perform better and if anything get into the music MORE than when I' m not.

I'm more relaxed and care less about what people think about my perforuence. Hence actually perform better.

... However when I'm on my own it's different. If I really wanna enhance the experience of listening to music, I find alcohol does that trick.

If nothing else I've gained additional empathy for people addicted to opiates - if you desire this level of numbness all the time, how much emotional pain must you be in? Like, damn. I've also lost interest in recreational use and want off them ASAP but I imagine it's easier said than done...

great post tbh and painfully accurate

if you ask most veteran druggies they definitely have nothing really good to say about opiates, for that very reason

when they say heroin steals your soul - this is exactly what they mean

I don't miss heroin at all. When I think about getting high I think of a lot cooler drugs like psychedelics or something. Heroin truly does steal all the fun away from life. Every last bit.

If I really wanna enhance the experience of listening to music, I find alcohol does that trick.
I was like that 7 years ago. Alcohol and jamming to music was so much fun every night. Some of the best nights of my life were loud music and alcohol.

It's just not the same anymore. Alcohol is one of those drugs you develop permanent tolerance to if you abuse it every day. A tolerance to the "good" effects from it, the shitty ones get even worse over time.

When Ithink about getting high I think of a lot cooler drugs like psychedelics.
Haha I don't think I could handle psychedelics. I've got a tenuous grip on reality at the best of times, the last bloody thing I need is to start seeing shit that's not there. It would freak me the fuck out.
Heroin truly does steal all the fun away from life.
I'd say so does any drug if you're overdoing it. I was also really caning it with the alcohol at one time and being pissed from morning till night certainly didn't feel all that fun. Even pot ends up robbing you of real life enjoyment if you just bake your brain on it round the clock.

Some of the best nights of my life were loud music and alcohol.
Man, I got to a weird point with that.

Like I'd already cut back my drinking, I wasn't getting drunk every day etc, but I enjoyed drinking while listening to music so much I basically ended up conditioning myself to connect one with the other like a reflex.
It meant I suddenly didn't even feel like drinking if there was no music playing, which was good on the one hand ; on the other I like music a LOT and also it then went both ways, that's to say I didn't even feel like listening to music unless I was having a drink.
I was literally just ALWAYS doing both things in tandem and wouldn't do one without the other. I had to teach myself to enjoy a good tune again by itself, without automatically wanting a beer in my hand.

Any advice on getting them to prescribe sth like Pregabalin that would treat my pain effectively? The spike in opiate dosage has caused me to swing unpredictably between complete apathy and extreme irritability while the nerve pain persists. This state is intolerable to where I would rather spend the whole night crying in agony. Going to withdraw from codeine entirely. Wish me luck...

Haha I don't think I could handle psychedelics. I've got a tenuous grip on reality at the best of times, the last bloody thing I need is to start seeing shit that's not there. It would freak me the fuck out.
I've heard this from a lot of people and I really think it's an underestimate of their comfort level maybe.

I feel like you're imagining true delirious hallucinations as psychedelic visuals. They're worlds different. I've experienced both, one is amazing and thought provoking and the other is weird and scary, they're totally different in literally every way.

If you've ever done meth, that's really just one or two steps away from psychedelics.

I really think the majority of people who say they couldn't handle a psychedelic high are just thinking about it too much. I wonder about this a lot. Psychedelic trips, especially high dose ones, require a "release of control" in order to make them comfortable or absorb them.

If you've ever done meth/coke/oxy/mdma/k you've also given up this control, you just maybe didn't realize it.

Can you handle edible THC? if so, you can take LSD. Personally I freak out way more from pot brownies than 5 hits of acid... seriously

I'd say so does any drug if you're overdoing it.
True, though strong opiates really do numb you in more physical and psychological ways than most other drugs

in a way any drug can be used to numb and often are, but opiates are next level compared to pretty much everything else