• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Decorative Opium Pods from the UK Question

Hannah Capps

Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So
So, I did a small experiment, crushed about 5 or 6 medium sized pods with the seeds and all else and put into a cheese cloth, boiled low for 30 minutes. I tried a bit of this 'tea' if you will oh my God I had awful cramping the rest of the night! Ugh! So, for those that know the proper way to make a tea that won't make my insides molten goo please enlighten me. Thank you all.

Are you sure you got the correct pods? Here in the US it's fairly common to find decorative poppy pods that are not the species papaver somniforum. Other species of poppies have alkaloids other than opiates which could cause the illness you speak of .

My bad, thanks for looking out for us. Looked up the exact species and this was page that had reputable reviews. Meh. It might not have been the right pods.

Last edited:
[X] Looked up the exact species and this was page that had reputable reviews. Meh. It might not have been the right pods.
Those appear correct. Could be you're not used to how it tastes or feels?
I don't know what medium is to you but 5-6 pods could even be enough to make a person with low or little tolerance vomit and or nod a little. I don't ever recall an effect like the one you encountered myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I did a small experiment, crushed about 5 or 6 medium sized pods with the seeds and all else and put into a cheese cloth, boiled low for 30 minutes. I tried a bit of this 'tea' if you will oh my God I had awful cramping the rest of the night! Ugh! So, for those that know the proper way to make a tea that won't make my insides molten goo please enlighten me. Thank you all.
I think I spotted the problem after rereading the OP. You said you included the seeds when you boiled it. I've tried to make a tea of the seeds before and it was nausea inducing. The seeds are worthless unless you plan on growing some. Crack the pod, dump the seeds, grind the pods, prepare tea from pods.

See If that doesn't fix it for you. The seeds really are useless.

The seeds arent worthless if approached correctly with good seeds, but they should never be boiled with pod material.

They are rarely sold online like that anymore and if they are they are highly suspect. Could have another species, some are almost indistinguishable in appearance from p. somniferum.

Makes sense, live and learn. Just one pod might be all I need, I have never taken them before and I was looking for some angisity, depression, adhd and autism relief.

Thanks for the response. Again, I just might need one pod or 1/2 of one pod. 😅

Last edited:
Thanks for your input negrogesic, I appreciate it. Thanks for looking out for me BL (feels squishy inside) I did just hand crush just one pod over a cheesecloth. I'll see what that does. Shall report on later.

I destroyed my mom's food processor 😫 she never uses it. She got as a wedding gift back in 1981. 8( Hopefully, she won't need it anytime soon. She's not used it for 10 years. 🙄

Thought about trying the blender and was like "Hell na, to the na-na." My personal coffee grinder I had bit the dust. 😪

So at this point it's an old fashioned mortar and pestle and hands crushing the pods over a cheesecloth laid out with a hair ties that I won't need for about 7 months! :ROFLMAO:

PS. In off topic Hannah news: my hair! Oh my gosh, it's 1 and 1/2 inches in length now! 😎 Thanks mom and dad for the good DNA! Oh and another off topic fact I've found out, Saw Pomento I've been taking it years for bladder health and quality collagen supplements and for women Saw Pimento helps with hair loss and regrowth. What a happy mistake that was! 😁

PPS. It doesn't not have to break the bank to get good supplements and natural ingredients. You just have to shop around, do some research from actual books, and know what exactly you're looking for.

PCPS: <-(Joke) And grinding them all into a fine powder (this was my original idea) Being clueless to the dosage and strength level! Holy Not Safe Batman. 😣

Last edited:
My body is anti Opium I guess. Used to collect Pod's in the garden or neighborhood. the right ones!

But unlike a right dose of Kratom, Pod's always nauseated me. And I know it were the right ones discarded the seeds.

So the actual effects were there, opiated, but the intestinal side effect's always overruled any enjoyment. Like a to big dose of Kratom does.

I’ve purchased poppy seeds, though I’m unsure about how many seeds (in teaspoons rather than mg) it takes to make Poppyseed tea.

The golden age of online "decorative" pods is over to my knowledge and for many years. I used to, er, bid on them a lot back in the day. You probably just boiled up some non-psychoactive poppy and got sick from it lol. Actual pods are going to do the opposite to your intestines lol.

hum, well must have been a bad batch or, anywho. Had tea sense my first post and it's been OK, nothing to jump up and down about. Just feel like I can nap all day. Meh. Way too much effort for a drowsy Benadryl effect. 🤔 and yes I'm aware the 'age of decorative pods' is pretty much finished. I was actually just browsing for the fun of it and found them. Hum. Well sometimes happy accedents and sometimes not so much. Hard pass after this. Not worth the fuss.

The effect from poppy pods can vary wildly depending upon the cultivar.

Top tips:

Ensure the pods are fully mature and dried completely

Remove all seeds

Simmer for 30 minutes then strain

Even if you're lucky enough to obtain potent pods, the effects can be an 'acquired' taste - as is true with all opiates...