• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dealing with OPIATE RELATED CONSTIPATION ~ Mega Thread

MegaManMX12

Bluelighter
So I recently have been using Opiates semi-frequently to frequnently and have had experience first hand with the constipation it can cause. Im begging to rethink my diet to minimalize the amount of solid waste I produce and increase foods that will help me have bowl movements. I am wondering what foods I can eat that produce the minimum solid waste but provide the maximum nutrition+minerals I am needing. I will break down my meals to see what you think need to revise or keep.

Breakfast (Because of school its missed more days then it should be)
Usually any Kashi Cearel or any other Organic one. I try to at least stay away from Corn Syrup.
Soymilk or 1%, which ever is currently in the fridge.
And usually about 8-16oz of water

Lunch (Usually my most filling meal of the day)
Always get 2-3 Veggies, usually Lettuce, Carrots and Brocoli
Always get 1-2 fruits, usually Apple/Banana or Sliced Peaches/Fruit Cocktail
Then its a toss between a corn dog or Nachos, probably the thing I should change most. I can chose from a large variety of deli sandwitches which I think I will begin to eat instead of those previous things.

Dinner
Usually a mix of a main meat with a veggie, potatoes and bread.
Once a week or so I get fast food which I can cut out.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I was wondering also if a better diet would alleviate opiate constipation. What comes to mind to me is a high fiber intake, so lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains. Meat is hard to digest id stay away from that before opiate use.

I'd say stuff like fresh veggies and salads with loads of olive oil are very beneficial

maybe skip the salad just drink some olive oil

I just eat very light when on opiates daily (or hardly at all)

I need a lot of help in combatting opioid-related constipation

I have a problem where the last part of my small intestine is very narrow, and it's hard for it to squeeze waste into my large intestine. Opiates make this worse by constipating me - I'm guessing they stop your intestines from spasming and that causes waste to settle in my large intestine, and makes the whole process very slow. Eventually more bacteria than normal accumulate in my small intestine and I get bacterial overgrowth. It makes your breath smell like shit, literally. Not to mention how terrible you feel in general from it. It also puts me at risk for a bowel perforation.

I'm in pain though and I need relief from opioids because I can't take NSAIDs like aspirin and Tylenol doesn't do shit. I was prescribed Miralax at one point and that helped but I'm afraid of my body growing dependent on a laxative to move my bowels. Does that happen over time? Are there any other ways to get my bowels moving besides laxatives? I've used magnesium citrate too for a bowel prep and I don't want anything that "violent" so to speak.

Put more vegetables and certainly legumes into your diet. They are colon protective and help move things along. Try some green tea, as it has caffeine and stimulates that area.

Cut down on meats and dairy..

you could try eating some hemp seeds, traditionally used as a laxative in Asia for millenium. Seems like it would work well for opiate induced constipation;)

If you haven't yet tried it, I'd suggest trying some whole flax (linseed) seeds with a breakfast cereal of say organic bran and/or weetabix with soy milk..
sounds pretty gross I know, but it may help, make sure there's a toilet handy for some hours afterward though ;)
the good thing about these seeds is that the become very slimy and viscous when in contact with fluids (soy milk) then once in your stomach they expand slightly, I don't know the entire in's and out's of it but hopefully it'll provide some relief.
perhaps try a variety of whole seeds, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, hemp.
for instance the ones I use are from the food doctor called original seed mix.
www.thefooddoctor.com.
hope this helps.

hey
yeah okay...maybe your level of constipation is a little past this but...in extreme states of constipation one night my girlfriend read the nutritional guide to healing (great book) and found this little secret out....drink 1 normal size glass of water...wait 10 minutes....one more glass....wait 10 minutes (and it is important that you wait the 10)....drink one more....you should shit within a few...takes half an hour, but worked great, and I was reeeeally constipated.....you can repeat as necessary...just my 2 cents.

you know, this may sound a bit dumb, but a few years back before hitting the town for a night out, I'd drink say 5 or 6 bottles of beer one after the other quite quickly....
if my stomach wasn't expecting it, ie I hadn't drunk for a few days prior; I'd end up with an experience not a million miles away from a colonic, I mean pretty much everything came out, albeit in liquid form..
sorry to be soo graphic
have you considered a colonic? or coffee enema?
best of luck

the reason opiates do this is simple they are a powerful muscle relaxant. your digestive system moves food with the help of muscles so naturally this is effected. there are lots of things to promote digestion but ill only suggest natural things because thats what i use. Ginger is the best thing for opiates. helps with the sick natutious feeling and helps with digestion. Also dandelion works well.

constipation due h

i have been doing h daily regularly tons of it... and i havent gone to take a shit now 3-4 days and im getting worried.
i heard horrible stories of opiates not making u shit until u stop taking them, or if u can, its gonna bleed.

help me out on how to fix this... maybe take something so i can shit finally ?? 8(

^ yea laxatives will work. also if you dont feel like spending money on them, try drinking a really strong cup of coffee. that should do the trick. welcome to the world of dope and pooping footballs

yeah try not doing h for a day and see how much shit comes pouring out of u!

welcome to hell btw

Movicol. It comes it sachets that you mix with water. You need to drink 1 to 3 sachets every day, but it should stop you getting constipated in the first place. It'll take a few days to work if you're already stopped up though. It's much better for your bowel than sennakot which can cause problems if you use it long term. You can buy it OTC at chemists.

wow 1 more reason I wont touch the stuff!! Sorry man hope your doing better!