• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Dealing with depression / self medication ? (opiates, benzo, amp)

sisi85

Greenlighter
Newbie here. Sorry about the novel, but I've been reading this site non-stop for the past few days and I'm hoping some people on here with personal experience can help. TIA!

My partner has dealt with MDD since he had meningitis at age 18. He's been treated with every form of anti-depressant on the market to very limited success and what success he has had has been short lived. When he was younger, weed and opiates were how he self medicated to deal with it. We've been together 12 years and he'll do very well for 4-8 months and then hit rock bottom for 3-15 days. Severe depression with major irritability and anger. Nothing seems to break through. Pdoc added Latuda to his current meds (Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Clonidine) about 4 months ago and then put him back on 60mg IR Adderall 2 months ago. He's been on and off Adderall since 2nd grade for ADHD and he says it has helped with the depression post meningitis.

I've been seen a PM doctor for the past 18 months for chronic knee pain that has never gone away after major reconstructive surgery. I get 120 10mg oxycodone. I might take 20 of those throughout the month and I've been giving the rest to my partner since it REALLY seems to help his depression. It's the only time that I really see him truly happy and not just barely content. We've been rocking on like this for over a year mostly doing well. Pdoc added low dose Latuda in February and he seemed to be doing wonderful. Pdoc increased Latuda in April and shit hit the fan. Horrible depression, severe anger...nothing worked because we were out of oxy for the rest of the month. Episode passed after a week and all was back to normal. Between now and then 60 mg IR Adderall has been added. Adderall has seemed to be working with the exception of fairly severe letdown/crash in the evenings. Opiates seem to fix that.

Unbeknownst to me, he got a hold of some Suboxone a little over a week ago from a friend and took it for a couple days. He claims he did not take opiates with it. 3 days later I ended up giving him WAY more opiates than I normally do just for recreation. We ran out that day and then next day all hell broke loose. HORRIBLE depression and anger. Worse than I've seen in years. Nothing in taking the edge off, not even 4mg of Klonopin. Today is the 5th day of this and it is showing no sign of improvement which is VERY unlike him. Could the Suboxone and opiates in that 3 day window have triggered this? His Adderall hasn't worked this week either. Doesn't kick in despite taking 80mg instead of 60mg and the letdown/crash happens about an hour into taking it and is much more severe than normal. He had never taken Suboxone before last week. He claimed the 2 days he was on it completely erased all signs of depression and made him feel normal.

I'm at my wits end. He can get 8 days worth of Suboxone tonight and wants to try that and see if it will break him out of this funk. Is that a good idea or are we seriously about to fuck this up worse? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

opiates should never be used as anti-depressants
the reason being is when they run out, they make it far, far worse
as does their addictive nature

i know of some psychiatrists who will Rx subs (a very small amount, like .4) for MDD but that needs to be medically supervised.
cause if someone is severely depressed, withdrawal from these opiates can trigger very dark thoughts.
please watch out for him. opiates are a sad and lonely road.

You're honestly destroying your partner enabling an opiod habit for self medication.... If you ever lost them he would be in a world of hurt. They need to ween off asap and see a therapist and chemical dependancy counselor.

ETA: This is the first time that I have noticed his behavior changing when the oxy ran out. Normally he would lose that extra happy pep, but would go back to his blah/content normal. This is the first time that a complete crash has happened. I'm not sure if it's a sudden opiate w/d, if the suboxone had anything to do with it, or if it's something else all together. I'm open to all options. He's on Clonidine at night for his moderate high blood pressure and I read that it can actually help with w/d symptoms. He seems better in the morning (before he takes his Adderall) but last night he forgot to take his Clonidine and he was in rough shape this morning. I'm really leaning toward this being w/d from the oxy.

I have honestly never seen any sign of w/d from him before, ever. When he crashed back in April the pdoc said it was a combo from the increased Latuda and a steroid shot for bronchitis. He wasn't on oxy that week and I didn't have any to give him after to see if it would help or hurt. Is it possible for this to be the first time he's dealt with w/d even though he's been on them for so long?

If this is w/d would that explain why his Adderall is suddenly not working and the crash is so much worse?

You'll know when it's withdrawals although it is possible it could be minor withdrawals. It's fine to use oxy for physical pain, but not every scrape and soar. You need to not let them use more than one to three days at a time without at least taking a day off if not three. I don't mean taking one each night, but that shouldn't be continued for too long without a break, but to not use longer than 3 days all day.

Again if they are dealing why depression there are much better options than drugs and even then opiods are not an appropriate choice. Cannabis can be useful you just need to buy the right weed and not whatever they have or tests with the most cannabinoids. Really though non drug methods are the best.

100% agree with EVERYTHING tacodude says. Opioids are not a cure/aid for depression. No how. No way.

Sorry to say it, but I doubt your partner will ever live a stable, happy fulfilling life. You'll go along for the horrific ride.

Run, run, run away. Save yourself while you can.

Before too long you'll wish you had listened to my advice.

Don't do what bamboo said and abandon them especially when they are dependant on your for their opiate supply... That's the fastest way to push someone to heroin. Right now you need to be there for them. Tough love is needed now. They may be crying and aggressive with you all you can do is be there for them to come to you. They may choose to leave and you have to let them of that's the case. You can't force anyone to do anything

Yup, you're right tacodude, you can't force anyone to do anything, but you can decide how that individual affects your life.

I stand by my comment, sisi85. Nothing's gonna change. Learn to like it or LEAVE IT.

MDD, especially for that long, is debilitating...but so aren't opioid withdrawals. As stated, opioid wd can make depression 1000x worse in a "normal" brain; I cringe to think what it does to one that's already been affected by MDD & all the meds that come with it.
You named so many different drugs in your post it honestly seems as though he is exchanging one drug for another, simply to make the pain go away. I speak from experience when I say whatever lies underneath his depression will only become worse with his dependence on these meds. The amount of damage that could be done simply from the mix alone of all of these is frightening enough.
If you choose to stay and truly want to help him, have him be upfront and get him into a pysch who can help him deal with these issues, as well as have him safely come off what he has in his system and go on to something that helps. I'd hate to see someone who already has these issues become worse. Suicide and overdose is very real. You'd never forgive yourself.
Just my $0.02.

Yup, you're right tacodude, you can't force anyone to do anything, but you can decide how that individual affects your life.

I stand by my comment, sisi85. Nothing's gonna change. Learn to like it or LEAVE IT.
It's this once an opiate user always an opiate user mindset that allows the dehumanizing of opioid users to exist. Would you abandon someone who ended up with head trauma while they chose to play sports affecting their life in a negative way? No? So why is it different for someone dealing with a physical dependency to opiods for whatever reason possibly pain?

Just because someone uses opiods it doesn't mean the world should give up on their life.

If this person was stealing from them or hurting them and themselves that's a different story and your advice to run from a fiend is right, but grouping in every junky /addict/opiod user in with those people who hurt others to feed a habit that destroys themselves is the largest injustice that exists and goes completely unacknowledged... Honestly I feel as an opiod user my life is accepted as valuable as a Jew in holocaust Germany yet rather than support me to get better or just let me kill myself in forced to push through living a never ending fight for respect and care I deserve all because of assholes like you that convinced my parents my life was worthless because I smoked weed, which pushed me into opiods in the first place when I realized after using oc and om steadily that a pain in my back I've had since before I smoked weed was gone that I have always smoked weed to dull and I hadn't even smoked. That's when I realized I experiences chronic pain and needed to acknowledge it with a doctor to get the right meds insurance could cover so I could save money or even give back to my parents before they took everything from me during the ages of 16-20 rather than just spending all my money on large amounts of cannabis to smoke every 4-6 hours or else be to stiff and sore to be functional. Now I can't lay in bed, sit, or stand while withdrawing due to the pain and even without withdrawals it takes me 4 hours just to get my back to settle so I can get out of bed and can barely function for more than an hour or two without it acting up and by the time I get home if I can't manage the pain I'm miserable questing my quality of life, possible futures, and struggle to find reasons to live while even if I manage the pain I still end up in that train of thought as pain management is the first on a long list of unsteady unsupported things in my life with food shortly following.

I hate to be rude, but seriously fuck you for that attitude.... You have no idea how much harm you're causing accepting that dehumanizing line of thoughts towards anyone using opiods even crossing the line of demonizing. You're probably a good guy, but that attitude brings out hatred towards you.... I say this in the most polite non aggressive or offensive way I can.

@tacodude - Really - right on. The "opioid addict is an opioid addict" attitude is ridiculous to me. Believe you me, I have enough experience with them (see my own thread if you really want to know). For me, they let me live life - a horrible, horrific life I'd kill myself in a New York minute without. It's that simple. Most folks are addicted to sex, alcohol or work. Some use opium to get through horrific things.

Considering the trauma some experience, if that's what they need to get through the day...? More power to them! Yes, the "opium fiend" encounters a problem when that miracle/hell suddenly is no longer available to them. When it is available to them...? They're just another human being getting through life however they can. Stigmatizing, labeling them... whatever? As lost causes or whatnot...? Seems to me the person that immediately jumps to that belief is the "lost cause" - if opiates are what it takes to keep them alive, which is absolutely the case in a lot of situations...? It's beyond wrong to immediately say they are forever damned or subhuman in some way. Just as I'm sure is the case with the OP's BF? You can't tell a single thing when I'm "on them", save the fact I can actually deal with life with a somewhat positive attitude.

Lost causes as opiate addicts...? Sure, they exist... of course. The heroin fiend that sells themselves and steals anything that isn't locked down? Now that's a problem. But someone that just gets through life on opiates? How dare you label them/us as lost causes, in all honesty.

I find it sad the need to label anyone, regardless of their DOC or any other issues they may have. What good is a label?? There's not a single person on this earth who cannot turn themselves around. If this site can help someone with some of the worst parts of their lives, why be nasty? I'd suggest you go elsewhere and judge...the jury here is your peers.

Nice post dude! :)
lol thank you.... I was afraid I'd get flamed, but the truth needs to be said more. So definitely appreciating the supportive responses from all.

Edit : I will add even my dad after quitting Morphine near a month that was prescribed because I was raped and wanted fair treatment, which wouldn't happen with the labels and never did. The whole month he wouldn't stop referring to me as a heroin addict as an addict is addicted as long as other people say so and not if one is using anything or not... He was definitely addicted to abusing power for sure.