• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Day 4 quitting weed. This is real life hell right now.

TheMagicCoder

Greenlighter
Hey,

After many hours searching Google, and posting on the regular weed forums, I am here. I'm here because I am 4 days into quitting cannabis and I feel like complete crap. I've posted this on the other forums and I get laughed at as if it's all in my head. Or I'm told these problems were always present and the weed was masking them. It's as if people are ignorant and believe Cannabis can't cause these symptoms.

A bit of background. I started smoking Cannabis about 2 years ago on a daily basis. Previous to that I was smoking every now and then, about 4 times a month. I've taken T breaks many times and the same symptoms happen. Every time they are nasty and horrible. I use a vapourizer, I don't use tobacco. I smoke between 0.4g - 1g a day. Not a lot compared to some. It wasn't always this way, around September time I stopped smoking joints and cut down a lot. I used to smoke about 3g a day back then. Since I got my vape my tolerance dropped and I was able to get high on much less weed.

I stopped smoking Sunday. I wasn't that bad on Sunday to be honest. Pretty normal. Here's how it went:

• Sunday: I wasn't too bad. I felt pretty normal. A little anxiety but nothing major.
  • Monday: Woke up with stomach pain and nausea. A bath helped. Felt pretty low and crappy all day. Didn't eat much at all my appetite was gone. Unusual for me because I love food. I struggled to sleep that night, kept going hot and cold and sweating like crazy in bed. Slept with the window open even though my parnter said she was freezing.
  • Tuesday: Same as yesterday, but increased symptoms. I started to get snappy over things. Increased arguments. Everything is pissing me off. Nausea was bad towards evening. I had 2 baths that day to help things and a hot water bottle on my stomach most of the night. Didn't really eat much at all. A few bites of food. At 1am I ordered a takeaway because I knew I had to eat, so I forced food down me. Tasted like crap. An hour after eating I had intense nausea and was awake till 4am until I finally fell asleep.
  • Wednesday: Woke up at 8am. 4 hours sleep. Didn't feel too bad, but the nausea was there again. As the day progressed I started getting really bad. Worse than any of the other days. Told my partner to just leave me alone in the bedroom so I can try feel normal. And here I am. Aggitation today is beyond anything I've had before. It feels like I'm in the center of a busy shopping mall and everyone is talking at once. I can't focus my ears or my eyes properly. Sturggling to type this. I tried to eat food, and put half of it into the oven.

Right now I can not even explain how I am feeling. My head feels like a constant buzzing feeling. Similar to what happens when you stop benzo's (doctors had me on these before, and then ripped me off them without tapering). I feel like I could run for miles, yet at the same time the lack of sleep has me feeling shattered. I am so irritable and aggitated that I've had many stupid arguments with my partner today. It's like I can't help myself. I snap at stupid stuff. It's as if my brain is working overtime, yet I'm just chilling. Very hard to describe.

I ended up slapping myself in the face a few times to snap out of it because I really do not want to be in this position right now. I feel like a complete idiot! And that's that. I've probably left a lot out, I can't focus right. My eyes want sleep, but I am holding out until a bit later otherwise I'll wake up at 3am wide awake.

I have bad gas, bad stomach, things in that department smell awful! I tried to do my normal pullup routine at home and my whole body feels like lead. Typing this is helping a little now I'm getting towards the end of my post. I'm feeling slightly calmer acutally.

I do suffer with a little anxiety, but I will make it known that this isn't anxiety. Sure I have anxiety, but that's being caused by me telling myself "This isn't normal I think I am going to die". Pathetic I know. I would go for a walk but I'm too paranoid to go outside right now.

I just want people to know this experience is very real for me, and I wish it was all in my head. I wish I wasn't going through this. I wish I was making it all up. The feelings honestly do feel similar to benzo withdrawl at times when I'm at my peak. Thankfully the peak doesn't last that long. I have a feeling seratonin is playing some part in this as I may have an imbalance anyway due to being prone to anxiety/depression.

I've asked everywhere for the scientific reason as to why this is happening and nobody knows. CHS sites all say the same thing but no reason why it's happening. I am glad I have my hot water bottle.

I feel like I never want to touch weed again after this. I've been here before. I've said the same thing before. And here I am again.

Sorry for the long post. I had to vent somewhere, and after reading many posts in this forum I feel people here understand this is something real that happens when quitting Cannabis.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Do you take any other medication?

Im not sure OP. I have stopped cold turkey after munti YEAR binge never experienced anything like this.

When I quit I tended to fixate on stuff more and I believe I tried to convince myself the lack of weed was the cause of all problems.

My .o2

Hope you feel better soon. :/

I appreciate the post especially the part near the end where you talk about how you've tried to stop before unsuccessfully. I've never really been much of a cannabis enthusiast but I've experienced similar withdrawal issues with other similarly bad habits in life. I'd say ok this is the time I will stop and then find myself slipping up and returning to the bad habit..We are not perfect we are only human but I realize some habits are worse than others and can actually begin to affect us in major ways for example our job or something big like that then its an issue, but if your bad habit doesn't affect something major like a job or relationship then just wean yourself off of it instead of quitting cold turkey i think its harder that way

This is one reason I would not make a habit of doing weed regularly. The truth is, this is a substance your body needs to detox from. It doesn't seem many stoners give their bodies the chance to clean out after smoking.
I worked with a guy some years ago who was a heavy toker. When he stopped, he went through the same things you are experiencing now.

You could try megadoses of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to bowel tolerance, lots of water, and desiccated liver, which is mentioned on this page for detoxing a number of things including MJ.
http://www.ironguru.com/new-discoveries-with-dessicated-liver
It has many other benefits as well. The taste isn't great but you can
get it in tablets or capsules. The powder, stirred into OJ or other juices, isn't too bad.

Good advice here too, except I would advise much more vitamin C--as I said, to bowel tolerance (loose bowels).
http://stopaddiction.com/Detox/Marijuana-Detox

[url]http://www.solsticegrown.com/new-years-cannabis-cleanse/

[/URL]From above link, which also contains good advice on cleansing, re what the below poster said about the need for detox being "unscientific":

THC In Your Body

THC-laden trichomes on a cannabis plant.

When you consume pot, Tetrahydrocannabinol or (THC), the main psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant, is metabolized through the liver into the non-psychoactive THC Carboxlyic Acid, or THC-COOH. This is a lipid soluble metabolite detectable in the body long after the effects of THC have worn off.
This means that THC-COOH is stored in your fat cells. Before it can find its way out of the body, it needs to be released into the blood stream. The ‘half-life’ of the metabolite, or the amount of time it takes to rid the body of all traces of THC-COOH, depends on a few variables: the quantity and potency of the cannabis you consume, how frequently you partake, and the rate of your metabolism.

Feel better!

Last edited:
I went through something very similar to this about 2 months ago and maybe 8-9 months ago. When i first quit the herb (8-9 months ago) I had a very tough time adjusting to the change. After all i had been smoking for 7ish years. Sleep was terrible for 2 weeks and my temper was on a short fuse and quite a bit of depression . Willpower and new hobby's helped me get through the first 2-3 weeks and then things started getting better. I also relied heavily on coffee and/or espresso for stimulation for the first 2-3 weeks which may help you (or maybe not- we are all different).

After 2 months break i got into the habit again for a few months. Quitting was once again tough but not as bad as the first time. The second time around I started exercising on the first day of quitting. After 2 weeks I felt so much better and the only thing fuzzy was my memory but that got better. So my advice to you is this -> if you really want to quit you have to keep that willpower and know that after a few weeks the crappy feelings will go away.

A month or 2 ago I made a post about quitting herb and brain functionality and one user said something along the lines of "any user who says they can function 100% is lying and in denial" I'm sure there are few people out there who can but they could be borderline "genius". Anyhoo after over a 2 and half month break I can't describe how much better i feel and how oblivious I was to the negative effects of smoking all of the time. I continue to exercise to this day and I feel like i'm lifted without having to use any substances. I had many good times smoking but I also held myself back by continuing to do it. Keep going strong, exercise, have a lot of sex or masturbate and believe in yourself. I read somewhere the other day that quitting drugs (whatever drug is a problem to you) is a lot like the grieving process. After my experience quitting I can 100% attest and agree to that. It will take time but the more days without it will have you feeling less bent out of shape about stopping. Git it brutha!!!!!

DaLambsbread,

Yessss! Exercise is da bomb. Rebounding on a mini-trampoline is especially helpful for detoxing, but just going for long walks is great, too. Congrats on your recovery!

Hello TheMagicCoder. I totally believe your account of your symptoms. 0.4-1 gram/day might not be enough to cause such withdrawal in some people, but on the other hand, I know of people who've had at least some of the symptoms you describe (hot and cold sweats, insomnia, loss of appetite, and irritability) from only an 0.2 gram/day habit, so it definitely can happen! Based on past experience, the first week is the worst. The symptoms are likely to be a lot better once you get through the first 7 days. Residual symptoms might linger for another week or two, but you'll start feeling better soon. Don't underestimate the power of exercise and healthy eating (to the extent that your lack of appetite allows)! It's helpful to remind yourself that the irritability is caused by cannabis withdrawal, not anything that people around you are doing - keep reminding yourself of this as a way of avoiding lashing out at someone who doesn't deserve that.

Oh come on weed is not addictive its in your head because your to weak wiled man up and get over it or smoke some tobbaco

Oh come on weed is not addictive its in your head because your to weak wiled man up and get over it or smoke some tobbaco

It leaves residues in the body that need to be detoxed. Detoxing can be unpleasant, as he is experiencing. No, it's not about being weak-willed. It is a genuine physical withdrawal and he needs support, not comments like yours.

Oh come on weed is not addictive

Nobody said cannabis was addictive. Addiction does equal dependance. Physical dependence can present itself without addiction. Check DSM-5.

its in your head because your to weak wiled

If I lacked will power I'd have caved in on day 2 and smoked weed. I have half ounce in the house that I haven't touched. That would indicate strong will power.

man up and get over it or smoke some tobbaco

That's not the correct advice to offer someone who said he doesn't smoke tobbaco.

Thanks to all for their advice. It's much valued and appreciated.

Today I'm actually a lot better. I went on a little bike ride this morning which caused me to feel very hungry. After a bacon sandwich I now feel somewhat normal again. About 80%. Exercise definately helped me.

Now that I have a clear mind, looking at the situation last night, much of it was aggitation which was probably amplified by the anxiety of not feeling good, and the lack of sleep. When my head hit the pillow at 11pm I was out like a light. I am just glad to be feeling normal today, lets hope it continues for the rest of the day :)

You're just in a transitional phase, you'll get used to it.

At least it's not heroin withdrawal, trust me :)

I've never experienced withdrawal symptoms that badly after smoking everyday for a few years. When I take breaks, I do feel some slight increased nausea when I wake, lake of appetite, low energy and lack of interest in things. However, this only lasts about a week. The symptoms are not in your head, they are real, but the severity and level of distress you describe also make me also wonder if you are on any other medications? In any case, you will be pretty much ok by this weekend.

I've never experienced withdrawal symptoms that badly after smoking everyday for a few years. When I take breaks, I do feel some slight increased nausea when I wake, lake of appetite, low energy and lack of interest in things. However, this only lasts about a week. The symptoms are not in your head, they are real, but the severity and level of distress you describe also make me also wonder if you are on any other medications? In any case, you will be pretty much ok by this weekend.

No other medications. Last meds I took were benzos (Lorazepam) in 2014. Last night was the worst, today has been ok to be honest, just kept busy and exercising. Eating like a horse today.

welcome to BL MagicCoder, don't mind the haters quitting can be tough. See the stickied FAQ or my sig for some information about coping with the withdrawal effects. If you have the itch to vent remember that you get a blog space here that you can post to as well

Hey MagicCoder ,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having trouble quitting, it can be tough! I actually am one of the few who has ALL the same symptoms that you have when i quit or take a break. Quitting smoking marijuana after at least a gram a day for 2 years was harder for me MENTALLY than it was to stop my methadone / hydrocodone addiction after 3 months of daily use at up to 70-80MG of methadone. During the opiate withdraw it was all physical for me and not really mental.

Now for the marijuana... It is all based on the person using it. Everyone reacts , builds up a tolerance , or gets effected by "drugs" differently than another. For me it takes about a week to finally even level out and not have most the symptoms you have. I personally always wondered how heavier users could just take a break with "no side effects". I guess i am more mentally depedant too it? Even though many times i mentally was prepared to stop and wanted too , yet still had the same issues. I do suffer from IBS , anxiety , and a pinched nerve in my back which all leads me too using marijuana as my regular "pain killer/anti anxiety/gastroil" medicine.

The first day for me usually is fine , maybe at night i will have a hard time sleeping. Day 2 is when it really kicks in for me , at least mentally. *Remember people , mental addiction can then lead into a physical side effects as well*. I have trouble sleeping, eating , and my mood is off. I normally can eat in the morning , but by night time i am generally to nauseous to want to eat anything. The night of day 2/morning of day 3 is always the worst. I wake up in sweat or freezing my ass off , followed by a day FILLED with anxiety along with barely being able to eat things like ramen , soup , healthy smoothies , etc. Day 4 is where most of those physical aspects start to fade or lessen for me. Usually that day i have worse mood swings/irritability followed by still slight trouble sleeping. After that it all starts to just get better and you have less and less of these side effects each day starting by day 5. I call this my "5 days of hell". Because i tend to do this once or twice a year.

Many things can help you during this "5 days of hell" , but my #1 recommendation is exercise exercise and EXERCISE! Followed by having a plan of what hobbys/activities you want to do during those days. I found mentally being occupied by something you enjoy or that gets endorphin's running through your body is the best thing. Benzos also help relieve anxiety and sleep. You can purchase any OTC anti acid medication to help level out your stomach , as well as something to help you sleep. Also tell yourself that no one in history has yet been recorded to have died from marijuana or a marijuana withdrawal. So hopefully that also give you some peace of mind.

Cheers!

All great advice trolling123, except, rather than antiacids, I would advise just chewing on raw carrots, apples, and any other fresh organic produce. My son has gall bladder issues and he finds that this has helped his condition greatly.
Organic, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is great, too (as a tonic diluted in water or used in salad dressings). There are herbs to assist with sleep. I used to dose with melatonin for sleep, but since I started using Kanna, I find it's not needed anymore. I also drink chamomile tea before bed.

Glad you are feeling better, MagicCoder!