⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Dark And Fucked Up Movies

Her
I'm not sure how well this topic will do, but it's worth a shot. Me and my friends were talking about the most fucked up/darkest movies that we have seen and will never forget. I came up with "Requiem For A Dream" and "Donnie Darko".
In your opinion, what is a 'good' movie that you have seen that is extremely dark and/or fucked up that you will never forget?
[ 14 August 2002: Message edited by: pr0ficient ]
I'm not sure how well this topic will do, but it's worth a shot. Me and my friends were talking about the most fucked up/darkest movies that we have seen and will never forget. I came up with "Requiem For A Dream" and "Donnie Darko".
In your opinion, what is a 'good' movie that you have seen that is extremely dark and/or fucked up that you will never forget?
Hereditary
It Follows
Existenz (or however it’s spelled)
The Shining
Blue Velvet

Ooh I forgot some.
Fire in the Sky
The Fourth Kind

Everyone just keeps saying Requiem for Dream over and over, and yeah, it's fucked up and depressing (and pretty good too), but honestly, it wouldn't even near the top of my list of most fucked up movies I've seen, and I know I haven't seen the most fucked up movies out there as I have read lists depicting movies that sound REALLY sick I've never seen like "Salo: The 120 Days of Sodom" and "Cannibal Holocaust, The Human Centipede, A Serbian Film (I've heard that one is REALLY sick), Men Behind the Sun, etc.....I've never seen any of those but I'm sure they make Requiem seem tame by comparison.

The sickest films I've seen would have to be I Spit on Your Grave (both the original and remake are REALLY sick), same for Last House on the Left, both remake and original, Session 9 is a TWISTED movie about guys who clean espestos out of an old mental hospital, The Audition, Hostel, etc.

All those movies make Requiem seem easy to watch.

Also, if you want to see a really twisted but kind of bad B-movie that was one of the first movies to ever scare me watch the 1983 movie "Xtro".

Better yet, do it while REALLY high hahahah.

It's one of the "video nasties" that was banned in England back in the early 80s.

Its basically a reverse-spin off of E.T. which had recently come out and the tag line for the movie is "Some extraterrestrials AREN'T friendly" LOL...

It's just....WEIRD and gross...very drugged up in a way like I could imagine the director being on Acid...and I recently rewatched it for the first time in years when I remembered how when I was first able to rent horror movies at age 17 I went and rented every single horror movie my old video store had and the ONLY one I couldn't finish was that one.

It's hard to explain, but if you watch it you'll see...just some repulsive bizarre scenes with the movie being about an alien who comes and takes the kid's dad away and then basically gives the kid super powers so he can kill people with his toys...it's weird...

Last edited:
Everyone just keeps saying Requiem for Dream over and over, and yeah, it's fucked up and depressing (and pretty good too), but honestly, it wouldn't even near the top of my list of most fucked up movies I've seen, and I know I haven't seen the most fucked up movies out there as I have read lists depicting movies that sound REALLY sick I've never seen like "Salo: The 120 Days of Sodom" and "Cannibal Holocaust, The Human Centipede, A Serbian Film (I've heard that one is REALLY sick), Men Behind the Sun, etc.....I've never seen any of those but I'm sure they make Requiem seem tame by comparison.

The sickest films I've seen would have to be I Spit on Your Grave (both the original and remake are REALLY sick), same for Last House on the Left, both remake and original, Session 9 is a TWISTED movie about guys who clean espestos out of an old mental hospital, The Audition, Hostel, etc.

All those movies make Requiem seem easy to watch.

Also, if you want to see a really twisted but kind of bad B-movie that was one of the first movies to ever scare me watch the 1983 movie "Xtro".

Better yet, do it while REALLY high hahahah.

It's one of the "video nasties" that was banned in England back in the early 80s.

Its basically a reverse-spin off of E.T. which had recently come out and the tag line for the movie is "Some extraterrestrials AREN'T friendly" LOL...

It's just....WEIRD and gross...very drugged up in a way like I could imagine the director being on Acid...and I recently rewatched it for the first time in years when I remembered how when I was first able to rent horror movies at age 17 I went and rented every single horror movie my old video store had and the ONLY one I couldn't finish was that one.

It's hard to explain, but if you watch it you'll see...just some repulsive bizarre scenes with the movie being about an alien who comes and takes the kid's dad away and then basically gives the kid super powers so he can kill people with his toys...it's weird...

I think part of it is that different people have different things in mind about what makes a movie dark and fucked up and depressing.

For example, take the saw franchise. The shit in that is arguably more fucked up overall than requiem for a dream. The same is true for other even worse movies in that genre.

But I wouldn't really count any of them as more fucked up and darker than requiem for a dream. Because it's not just about what they show you scene to scene, it's also the movie taken in its entirety and the overall tone and feel of the movie.

There are movies I could list that I'd say more fucked up and violent and disgusting shit than requiem for a dream. But perhaps a little counter intuitively, I'd be much more inclined to watch them multiple times than requiem for a dream. And part of the reason for that is actually because of how much more extreme they are. In being more extreme, they feel less real, and by feeling less real, they have less emotional impact.

Obviously how much impact a movie has is highly subjective already, and what people find distressing is highly variable.

I listed requiem for a dream because it's one of the few works of fiction I'd say make me feel emotionally drained after watching. Yet I couldn't really point to many scenes in it to tell you why. It's just the whole thing as a progression of the story just getting worse and worse.

So that's why I put my vote on that.

There are probably other movies that have scenes with a similar level of impact for me, but they're relatively short. Or movies that are far more violent and messed up, but as a result have less impact.

Not a big fan of this genre and you mentioned the top of mind one "Requiem" in your OP.

Poughkeepsie Tapes
Hostel?

I think part of it is that different people have different things in mind about what makes a movie dark and fucked up and depressing.

For example, take the saw franchise. The shit in that is arguably more fucked up overall than requiem for a dream. The same is true for other even worse movies in that genre.

But I wouldn't really count any of them as more fucked up and darker than requiem for a dream. Because it's not just about what they show you scene to scene, it's also the movie taken in its entirety and the overall tone and feel of the movie.

There are movies I could list that I'd say more fucked up and violent and disgusting shit than requiem for a dream. But perhaps a little counter intuitively, I'd be much more inclined to watch them multiple times than requiem for a dream. And part of the reason for that is actually because of how much more extreme they are. In being more extreme, they feel less real, and by feeling less real, they have less emotional impact.

Obviously how much impact a movie has is highly subjective already, and what people find distressing is highly variable.

I listed requiem for a dream because it's one of the few works of fiction I'd say make me feel emotionally drained after watching. Yet I couldn't really point to many scenes in it to tell you why. It's just the whole thing as a progression of the story just getting worse and worse.

So that's why I put my vote on that.

There are probably other movies that have scenes with a similar level of impact for me, but they're relatively short. Or movies that are far more violent and messed up, but as a result have less impact.

Yeah I totally get what you mean.

There's also the fact that Requiem is a movie about the horrors of drug abuse and it's VERY realistic and with this being a drug forum I think some of us can relate.

But yeah, things that are just gory and/or violent are not necessarily the most DISTURBING, and if you make something unrealistic it is also less likely to be shocking for me personally I'd agree.

I mean I like to pride myself on being able to watch movies that are pretty scary or gory and not be too bothered by it (I will NOT watch real life violence...REFUSE TO...but I do like true crime documentaries if they don't show real deaths...)...

....but FOR ME there's really only one or two things I have ever seen that REALLY bug me and which I will not watch again.

To be honest, the one thing I find most disturbing I have ever seen on TV is the last episode of the show Six Feet Under...the last few in particular but especially the last.

IT's VERY upsetting to me and very realistic, showing all the characters die and basically focussing on the real life aspect of how we will all die and only have so much time on this earth.....nothing gory...but I will never watch it again. Even thinking of it bothers me.

The only other thing which I saw that bothered me a lot, though not as much as the last episode of 6 Feet Under, is the movie Return to Paradise with Vince Vaugn and Joachim Phoenix where they go to Malaysia and Phoenix's character is hung for having hash (they actually DO hang people there for that...)

That REALLY got to me, knowing that they really do that, and I will NEVER go to any of those countries like Malaysia, Indonesia or the Phillipines where they have such strict laws, not cause I'd do drugs there cause I wouldn't, but just based on principle alone.

It's definitely true that requiem for a dream hits a bit close to home for me at times. Which certainly adds to the impact for me.

Very Bad Things
Mysterious Skin
Spun
Martyrs

some of my faves that tend to meander to the dark side.

I just think Requiem is too heavy handed to the point where the last act is almost comical. The first 3/4ths are really good though.

Fuck that nah..

I mean I remember way back when I was little I was with some fuckers from hood to see what's that shit flip off the metal and they enjoy it as I was not that intrigued and mostly I did understood because of the childhood that I had and the hood that I was raised in did a big impact on how I percieve it, although I did enter at a little age despite the impossibility rate haha. Lookin back I don't even think because it's actually it's all splashed with Hollywood exaggeration cream toppings. Isn't dark at all, just a sad life. I posted something earlier but people apparently aren't interesting to talk about ( The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) should be an example of a.. misunderstood genius with dirty rivers thoughts kinda, this it's the thing that allows you to do, to dive into it and create your own journey and write the experience, for everyone it's different. Most films don't do that.

Last edited:
I just think Requiem is too heavy handed to the point where the last act is almost comical. The first 3/4ths are really good though.

The ending does take things a little far, but id argue that while it's extreme by today's standards, it has to be kept in mind that the story is set in the 70s. I mean the movie doesn't outright spell that out, and since it came out in the year 2000 you'd be forgiven for not realizing. But the movies based on a book that was set in present day at the time of its release, in the 70s.

Mental institutions in the 70s were also extreme by today's standards. :)

Sorry if some of these are repeats, I haven't read every post.

Grotesque
I Spit on Your Grave (remake)
I Spit on Your Grave 2 (remake) that was dark as hell, much more so than the first movie
Irreversible
A Serbian Film
The Angels' Melancholia
Salo
Audition
Santa Sangre
August Underground
The Men Behind the Sun
Martyrs (French version, the American remake is very tame)
Inside
Baise Moi
Happiness
Leaving Las Vegas
Antichrist
8mm
Requiem for a Dream
The Basketball Diaries
Schramm
I Saw the Devil
Nekromantik
Earthlings
Eden Lake
The Bunny Game
7 Days
The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
Mysterious Skin
Slaughtered Vomit Dolls
Megan is Missing
Baskin
The Girl Next Door

I saw one last night which I REALLY liked, though I wouldn't say it is disturbing in the way some horror movies are, just REALLY good and very brutal and violent but in an awesome psychological thriller type of way, which is the Netflix movie: HOLD THE DARK.

If anyone hasn't seen it I won't give away any spoilers, but it's kind of hard to explain.

It's basically about this guy who is an expert on wolves and wolf attacks who goes to Alaska at the request of a women who says her son has been taken by wolves and she needs his help to find and kill the wolves that she believes have probably already killed him.

When he gets there, lets just say all hell breaks loose in completely unpredictable ways and that the movie is about A LOT more than wolves.

It's partially based on a book and I'm a TERRIBLE movie detective and couldn't really figure out the explanations to the movie by it's end but unlike some other movies where that's the case I wasn't disappointed both cause it was so badass and cause I knew if I looked online I'd find the answers because it was very clear by how it was done that it was well thought out and that I'd find the explanations online, and I did find satisfactory explanations when I looked.

Now I can say I have a fairly good understanding of what the movie "meant", all though there are still a few parts I don't understand, and if I hadn't been able to find the spoilers it would have made it less enjoyable, but now that I did read them I have a whole new appreciation for the movie's symbolism and plan on watching it a second time.

I'd definitely recommend it to those who like dark, violent psychological thrillers with a lot of symbolism.

Heres a fairly large list of some of my favourites:
Running Scared (2006) (starring paul walker)

Shutter Island

The crow (1994) (Brilliant movie brandon lee
died filming)

Get out

1408 (2007)

28 days later

Wolf creek

American Psycho

A clockwork orange (1971) (Old but still holds up today fucking excellent movie)

The hills have eyes (2006)

Red Dragon (2002)

American History X

Hannibal (2001)

30 days of night

The Machinist

Requiem For a dream

The butterfly Effect

„The Lords of Chaos“, which tells the story of the Norwegian Death-Metal Band „Mayhem“ - it’s one hell of a Movie..., not sure if being positive or negative when writing that?!?