• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

cutting sub dose in half

SWiM509

Greenlighter
I have a friend who has been on 16mg of suboxone strips a day for about 8 months.. We were curious to know if there is going to be any discomfort of withdrawl?? Thank u for reading I appreciate any feedback..

I found with subbies that by snorting them i could take half the amount i took sub lingualy

^Well that is because the Bioavailability is higher if you snort them than if you take the Subs sublingually: Sublingual 30%, Nasally: ~50%

If you lower the dose slowly over an extended period of time and jump off low it can be relatively easy. By that I mean if you look at someone who is at day 3 of heroin withdrawals and you in the midst of the worst part of sub withdrawal (if you taper down to under 1mg) you will be fine by comparison.

When I jumped off I was on 0.5mg and had tried taking it every 36 hours before too long I got tired of trying and stopped. It was uncomfortable for 5 days but I went to work and carried on as normal, as it was nothing compared to dope withdrawals. You can do it easily if you are disciplined and keep to a lowering dose schedule.

If your question (as I try to figure out from your title plus post) is at a 16 mg of sub dose will there be withdrawal cutting it in half?

Well 16 mg is way more than necessary. Some people can drop right to 8 mg no problem. Some will be a little uncomfortable. Will you have major withdrawal-- no you won't. But if you're concerned drop to 12 mg for a week then drop to 8 mg. That'll be easier esp as you won't have the mental part (your brain saying "oh no you only took 8 you'll get sick blah blah ").

If your goal is to get off get down as far as your comfortable with bigger jumps then start tapering.

If you're just trying to cut dose in half to 8 mg shouldn't be an issue, though you can taper to that too.

If it's a one time thing where you normally take 16 mg and take 8 mg one day you'll be fine.

Hope that helps. Your post was sort of vague...next time give more info so we can better help

Crzydiamond I would suggest when he jumps to 8mg from 16mg he is going to have SIGNIFICANT withdrawal. First off the sub docs always want u on highest dose they can get u on. Less is more w/ subs. I can tell you for certain everytime I lowered my dose from 8mg to 4mg ( which was only 1mg at a time maybe 2mg I forget) I was just as sick as if I was doing dope for months....albeit the sickness didn't last as long but just as intense...going from 16 to 8 at once sounds insane to me based off my experience I'm sorry to say. Got sick everytime followin my doc advice going down 1mg at a time. I think they just wanted me to feel discouraged n stay on them longer. Everytime get sick I wouldn't lower for months longer. Ever since I got to 4mg I haven't gotten sick lowering anymore....although I don't follow wat the doc tells me anymore I lower like 2 or 4x as slow....I'm on 1/2 of 1mg now....so pumped lol....but I get 2mg strips now, cut in half then I fold each half into 8ths....when I lower ( just say I'm at 1mg for context) so I cut an 8th off the 1mg one day, take reg dose next day, 8th off day after that (8th less than 1mg) n continue that for "week" but really it's just till I feel comfortable which is like 4 days or so n that's when I'll make that 8th less than 1mg my everyday base dose.....might b confusing deff ask if any questions man, haven't been in w/d once since I started this new taper plan

I understand what you're saying. But pretty much over 8mg everything is so saturated it's not much different. It differs person to person but many people on 16 say they have dropped to 8 no problem. It seems like anything above 8, like when ppl take 16 mg or 24 mg just doesn't make much difference

I wholeheartedly agree with you about doses less than 8. I wouldn't jump from 8 to 4 overnight or 4 to 2 overnight. And less is definitely more with subs. As I said, those 16 mg doses are excessive

And if he is worried he can always go by 2s from 16-8 or something. But the question was asked about cutting dose in half from 16mg if it would give wd, and for some people it wouldn't. I also said we need more info, as in is this a one day thing or a long term thing

Good for you on your taper!!

Thanks man! haven't been this proud of something in so many years lol. I've never been on 16 so really I don't really know what that jump would be like. Always heard on these forums though that less was more & how they frequently over prescribe. Hate hearing about all the ppl being put on 16 or 24 though it really grinds my gears, if u get the fam guy reference lol. I'd do multiple bundles (bun=10 bags where I from) a day n 8mg was perfect for me. Hate clinics atleast mine how they have insanely unqualified ppl giving medical or prescription drug advice

before i got off subs i weaned down from like 24mgs/24hrs to a span of about .5-1mg/24hrs. There was discomfort getting there. basically what you do is go through about an hour of discomfort a day. its not all that bad. for some motivation = it feels much much better maintaining under 2mgs a day than it does to take higher doses. id say wean down to 4mgs as soon as you can

btw the discomfort isnt bad at allll, its very mild. most of it is mental anyways. and when it came to getting off the subs (i was taking 1mg a day at the time) completely for me it was mild WDs for like 30 days.