• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Cutting buprenorphine patches

Jaredborgetti

Bluelighter
Can you cut buprenorphine parches? The dose is 52.5mcg per hour which is extremely high for me but the box says not to cut since cutting the patch can lead to all the buprenoprhine being released at once, but I was told that cutting them for a lower dosage was safe, is it truly safe to cut the patches or not? And if so, is 1/4th of a 52.5mcg/hr patch a safe dose?

Depends on the patch.. I’ve only fucked with various Fentanyl patches so excuse my ignorance but with those they had Gel patches and like these plastic-y ones that had no liquid-gel inside.

If they have a gel inside don’t fuck with em.. When it came to gel fent patches they were very dangerous to use and hard to gauge dosage. Now the plastic-y ones you could safely use because when you cut them it was like cutting a suboxone film where it’s an equal layer of dosage all the way through.

So what’s the patch like?

-GC

I just watched some videos and it’s hard to tell from the pics/vids if it’s gel or not. The only way to find out is cut one. If some gel oozes out then you know it’s gel, if it’s the same all the way through then you can cut it up and use however.

Start really low though since transdermal patches are obviously all formulated differently and I could be wrong somehow.

-GC

Sorry for answering until noe
I just watched some videos and it’s hard to tell from the pics/vids if it’s gel or not. The only way to find out is cut one. If some gel oozes out then you know it’s gel, if it’s the same all the way through then you can cut it up and use however.

Start really low though since transdermal patches are obviously all formulated differently and I could be wrong somehow.

-GC
Sorry for answering until now, im about to use the patch today, I found that information that says that this patch is a "matrix" patch and that it can be cut without issues but the box says not to cut or use cutted patches, im not sure what to do

Specifically the article i found which is a medical article on the use of transtec patches says that they dont have gel or liquid inside and that the patches have a matrix design meaning they can be cut without a problem, and in that medical article it says that for clinical use in opioid naive patients they recommend cutting a 30mcg/hr patch in half so im guessing it is safe to cut them?

Suboxone sublingual films also specifically say not to cut them on the package but you can no problem and many doctors will tell you to cut them as you taper..

-GC

Thabk
Suboxone sublingual films also specifically say not to cut them on the package but you can no problem and many doctors will tell you to cut them as you taper..

-GC
Thanks G, im guessing this will be safe then, I will report back if everything turns out okay for anyone else in the future so they can stay safe

Exa
I have used Transtec 35 μ/gh. I am sure I have read somewhere that these could be cut into smaller parts.

Here I found the link (I assume that by your username you know Spanish lol): http://www.spotmail.cl/enews-comercial/grunenthal/transtec/pdf/practicofinal.pdf

I don't know what use you want to give but they are difficult to use recreationally.
Exactly, that information is similar to the one I read in the medical article, the only thing that was confusing me was that the box said not to cut, mind sharing with me your experience with buprenorphine supersonic? I have heard its not as recreational but I want to give them a try since I havent been able to get oxycodone or morphine.

Exa

Exactly, that information is similar to the one I read in the medical article, the only thing that was confusing me was that the box said not to cut, mind sharing with me your experience with buprenorphine supersonic? I have heard its not as recreational but I want to give them a try since I havent been able to get oxycodone or morphine.

Before using Buprenorphine you should know if you have a Morphine or Oxycodone dependency, Bupe can cause you precipitated withdrawal syndrome. That is why it's recommended to wait at least 24 hours from your last opioid dose to take Buprenorphine.
I don't have a great experience with Buprenorphine either. I used Transtec patches during a couple of days when I couldn't get Tramadol. The patches removed all of the withdrawal symptoms and also made me nod off nicely. But, keep in mind I am a Tramadol and Tapentadol user, so I am considered opioid naive.
The patch used transdermally I didn't find recreational use but, following the advice of another forum, I use it sublingually and it worked for me. My method was to cut small doses from the patch and put it under my tongue for more than 1 hour. Then I just chew it for several minutes until I felt there was nothing left.
Apparently, you can also extract the drug from the patch and drink it or inject it, but I didn't try it because, due to my tolerance, I was afraid of overdosing. In fact, one morning I chew a high-dose for me and ended up nauseous and puking for the rest of the day.

@Jaredborgetti, did you have success cutting your Buprenorphine 52.5 patches into lower doses? I'm considering cutting mine in half or maybe even quarters because the 52.5 dose is too high for me. My patches are matrix and don't have liquid or gel inside. TIA!

@Jaredborgetti, did you have success cutting your Buprenorphine 52.5 patches into lower doses? I'm considering cutting mine in half or maybe even quarters because the 52.5 dose is too high for me. My patches are matrix and don't have liquid or gel inside. TIA!
Hey there. Welcome to Bluelight.

The original poster hasn't been active in a couple of years ( you probably didn't notice that the thread was old ) so he probably won't respond back to you. Didn't want you waiting for a response that wasn't going to come.

Instead of cutting up your patches to get a lower dose can't you just ask your Dr. to give you different patches. Cutting up any kind of patch that is intended to go on your skin whole ( and intact ) can not only be dangerous but it can make you very sick.