• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Cursing

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
How do you guys feel about cursing in different situations? I think I curse too much lol. I was having dinner with my mom out and the person next to her was saying fuck and shit just about every other word and it sort of offended me because I was trying to have a nice meal with my mom. But then I thought about how much I curse. I try not to do it very much in public tho. What do you guys think? I mostly just curse when I'm aggravated I think, but that's about 80% of the time. lol

How do you guys feel about cursing in different situations? I think I curse too much lol. I was having dinner with my mom out and the person next to her was saying fuck and shit just about every other word and it sort of offended me because I was trying to have a nice meal with my mom. But then I thought about how much I curse. I try not to do it very much in public tho. What do you guys think? I mostly just curse when I'm aggravated I think, but that's about 80% of the time. lol
Yeah I have a bad habit of punctuating every sentence with fuck, fucking, bullshit, for fucks sake etc.

The more passionate I am about the subject/conversation the worse it gets. My boyfriend is always telling me not to do it so much and that it makes you seem umm like less civilised I guess and people are less likely to trust your arguments etc

I don't know if that's really true, but I've been doing it so long it's quite hard to break the habit.

I do gardening work at a primary school though so when I'm there I make a great deal of effort to not swear. But sometimes it still subconsciously jumps out of my mouth, luckily I haven't been around the kids those times hahaha

I also swear way, way more when I'm anxious, I remember at rehab we did graduation dinners and the person graduating would do some kind of speech. When I had my graduation and got up to do the speech in front of everyone, literally like every second word was a swear word lol

I try to curse less, but its like only speaking with 50% of your vocabulary....

If I get passionate then its free curses for fucking every1.

Im from new zealand i will use cunt in every sentence like any other kiwi that aint potically correct. We curse and will say anything and give zero fucks if anybody else in the world is offended when we talk.

Do you control it depending on who you're around or not care?
For me, I used to try not to do it whenever I was around kids or my parents (mainly my mother) but lately I've been way more honest with my parents about who I actually am where previously I had a kinda superficial relationship with them, I was a fucking nightmare of a teenager lol I did all sorts of shot and basically just lied my ass off and told my mother what she wanted to hear. So know I'm being unashamedly authentic around my parents which means quite a lot of cursing in between words ? but I still feel like it's good manners not to do it around kids

Im from new zealand i will use cunt in every sentence like any other kiwi that aint potically correct. We curse and will say anything and give zero fucks if anybody else in the world is offended when we talk.
Hahaha yep cunt is also usually what I end up yelling when I hit my toes on something.

Nz ftw ?

It depends. Being gratuitous for no reason, in the wrong company, I don't like to do, personally, though it doesn't bother me at all to hear others do it. I just feel I express myself better usually without excessive cursing.

There are exceptions, of course. Sometimes you get really frustrated and "cum guzzling shit stain fucker ass bitch" is the appropriate or even necessary thing to say.

I find the generations from Gen X through now tend to not be offended by cursing.

I think the one universal exception is "fuck". That word has to be the most versatile non-basic part of speech in English. It can be used to mean almost anything and can be used casually without offending most people anymore. What an interesting evolution of a slang word, basically within my own human lifetime it went from the dirtiest, most taboo word (in the USA anyway) to a benign word that s used for emphasis and other subtleties of communication. I think it's cool and a great example of the rapid evolution of language, especially English which is so into inventing and using slang. It fascinates me.

But obviously you also need to be very aware of context and audience. For example, at a job interview, probably not the time to bust out the cursing. But it can really sometimes express a feeling in a certain way that nothing else can, or just be fucking funny is a great way (case in point on the ubiquitus usage of "fuck" and its infinitive form).

Heh. My username was on a whim. I should change it to *CNUT* as it seems the youth of today are pious in comparison to their predecessors.

It's very strange, almost anti-shock.

Heh. My username was on a whim. I should change it to *CNUT* as it seems the youth of today are pious in comparison to their predecessors.

It's very strange, almost anti-shock.

The youth of today is pious? Not sure what youngsters you've been hanging around. ?

Either way, it's just become kind of a bad habit for me so I'm trying to cut back, as well as be more mindful in general. It's not easy but there probably isn't really a need to say fuck and goddamn every other sentence. I don't have anything against it in the right situation but I've sort of developed tourettes or something.

^ I don't associate with the youngsters by choice, unfortunately they are entering the workforce and are too uptight to swear , it's all bleeped out on radio and tv, even potentially controversial words are getting removed (such as "gun" lol).

^ I don't associate with the youngsters by choice, unfortunately they are entering the workforce and are too uptight to swear , it's all bleeped out on radio and tv, even potentially controversial words are getting removed (such as "gun" lol).

Hahahaha I LOVE YOU CUNT

You must not live in the U.S. High school students here are animals.

No, the youth here are feral and all but only when they travel in packs of 20 or more and are a menace.

People who get their panties in a bunch over a curse word are off putting and I would rather avoid them as they tend to ignore the passion behind it and also the context to focus on arguing over the appropriateness of the curse.

It's distracting and annoying so fuck those cunts lol

Haha, in the US kids are vile as fuck. When I was a kid it was way tamer in terms of what people would say.

Are you in Australia? In the US there is a lot less bleeping than there used to be, although still plenty. But that doesn't seem to translate at all to what people say, it certainly doesn't impart the idea that cursing is bad.

i don't curse in public, i'm a corporate culture wet dream.

Haha, in the US kids are vile as fuck. When I was a kid it was way tamer in terms of what people would say.

i sometimes hear kids talk when they're walking by talking like "yeah well i fucked your mom you dead fish hahaha" when they haven't even hit puberty yet. part of me is like <adult sense of shock> but then i think about it and my crowd was about as crass as youths.

the kids are alright...?

I curse all the time (except for derogatory racist, homophobic, transphobic etc slurs...although I do call my best friend "faggot" all the time (he is actually gay) but I use it as a term of endearment) and don't see anything wrong with that.
I don't swear at all (not even mild ones) around my mum, though, out of respect, because I know she hates it.
I don't swear when little kids are around, either.
It does depend on the situation, though. Like if I farted at my grandma's house I wouldn't be like "Shit, that was one big bastard of a fart! Excuse the fucking christ outta me!"
Actually, I might paha.
But, for example, if I worked in a job where you had to be professional while interacting with the public, I wouldn't swear.

I try to minimize it, as overuse makes the impact of a good curse less powerful.

That being said, when teaching undergrads a couple of swears can break down barriers and let them know that I'm a real person.