• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Curious about others' experiences with Ketamine

EagledriverAGRS

Greenlighter
In the military hospital- specifically BAMC burn ward- a very common pain medication- and the most effective one, by far- was Ketamine. During the period of my primary burn recovery and the skin grafts, Ketamine took the pain away- seriously away.

Nothing else in my experience has been nearly as effective. I have a huge tolerance to opiates, a clinical immunity to Fentanyl, and cannot take Methadone. (Side effects) Yet a very small dose of Ketamine makes me pain free and I feel fantastic.

My doctor described it this way- Opiates, we all know how they work, attaching to receptors- particularly mu receptors :). Over time they stop being effective. However, Ketamine essentially disconnects your brain from your body- the results are amazing.

I know some doctors and advocacy groups are plugging for Ketamine to be used for depression and pain, but apparently it cannot be given orally (anyone know why?) and there is resistance even to IV in-hospital use by civilian hospitals...again, anyone know why?

The military has used it successfully since the VN war, for a variety of things...so why the extreme prejudice in civilian hospitals? For me it is life changing.

Interesting sidenote, while checking something, writing this post, I found that a new nasal mist version is being tested. I can't find any updates on its status however, and the post I found on the mist is from 2012.

Thanks!

You need to go the proper route. It's a very fine line between healing and just another addiction

I had my third full hospital I.V Ketamine treatment at the beginning of this week. For me, Ketamine infusions have been a wonder treatment.

I agree with tacodude in saying that the medical setting is a much better idea. As you know yourself, inpatient is much safer, due to the fact that a persons vital signs are closely monitored, help with bodily functions during treatment, etc.

Since prescription Ketamine is a very potient medication and the abuse potential of said drug is also higher in certain populations, that may explain the slow progression of legal take home treatment.

When I find extra information on the progress, I will update any useful information. It is a schedule 3 drug in the U.S, so that would explain tight control also.

Here is some general information I found. http://www.ketamineadvocacynetwork.org/route-of-administration/

Last edited:
I know some doctors and advocacy groups are plugging for Ketamine to be used for depression and pain, but apparently it cannot be given orally (anyone know why?)

While i dont know if these are the specific reasons its not givin orally but they may be part of it.

It has a horrible oral bioavailability.
Oral ingestion can lead to serious bladder problems.

Its sad that MXE got hyped up(due to recreational use) and squashed as far as research goes, because it was such a promising substance for multiple reasons.

When I did IV ketamine with a friend he insisted it's one of the few drugs that you have to have administered to you. By the time the needle is out you're basically already in a k hole so you're liable to do something stupid with the needle.

^^ it also depends on set, setting, tolerance and actual amount administered. IM vs I.V makes a difference.

I am still in the learning phase w/K , but at low doses, for me, I can almost time when it will kick in, in a hospital setting.

I have not had the pleasure of administering myself.

Ketamine can be administered orally (due to high first pass metabolism the bioavailability is pretty low, only around 25 %) and you can even get lozenges

not sustainable as a long term pain medication.too toxic to bladder tissue. source: i have to get up and pee 4 - 5 times a night due to ketamine bladder toxicity issues. it seriously eats/scars bladder tissue, sounds like you already have issues going on, best not to add more!

^^ at what dosage level and time between treatments? Treatments in a hospital or self administered.

So far, the benifits outweigh the risks, medically speaking.