Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Megathread Cultural Appropriation and Cancel Culture Discussion

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
Michael Richards had a pretty extravagant fall from grace.

He's a good example of a situation in which a "push back" (in this case, his fall from grace) was 100% warranted imo. The reference he made in his remark at that comedy club was one very much based on fact, but that makes no difference...he still shouldn't have said it, and I think it's good that there were career repercussions for him.

And I get it, he's not a bad or evil guy or anything for saying what he did, I never really liked his character on "Seinfeld" but he was flustered and agitated by a heckler, and was probably just angling for some shock laughs or something, I don't know...it was just highly inappropriate imo, he should have used his better judgement and discretion before referencing something like that, in that context

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter
Trying to color cancel culture as something that is simply "annoying" is short sighted at best and only further stigmatizes a word that doesn't need to be stigmatized.

Remember when politicians couldn't get away with saying even just one stupid thing in their career without everyone making fun of them for it?

Now if Trump DOESN'T say something stupid at least twice a day we start to wonder what's wrong. Half of the country voted for this behavior.

It's as if we are addicted to misinformation.

We need more cancel culture imo. Make America Accountable Again

Cancel culture is ridiculous and is not worth arguing about unless those who see it as helpful consider cancelling themselves instead.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner

Former Virginia Tech soccer player sues coach, claiming she was forced off team for refusing to kneel before games

Former Virginia Tech women’s soccer player Kiersten Hening has filed a federal lawsuit against Hokies women’s soccer coach Chugger Adair, alleging that after she refused to join her teammates kneeling before games this season, the coach engaged in a “campaign of abuse and retaliation” that led her to leave the program.

“Hening’s stance was costly — too costly,” reads the lawsuit, filed March 3. “Her coach dislikes Hening’s political views. Because she refused to kneel, he benched her, subjected her to repeated verbal abuse, and forced her off the team.”
Hening, a 21-year-old Midlothian native and former star player at James River High School, walked onto the Virginia Tech team in 2018 and started as a freshman and sophomore.

She was in the team’s lineup for its opening match of the 2020 season, against rival University of Virginia. While her teammates knelt during the pregame reading of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s unity pledge — a show of support for the social justice movement and Black Lives Matter — Hening and one other unidentified player remained standing, according to the lawsuit.
This past season, a few members of the Virginia Tech basketball team knelt during the anthem, while most — all but three — players at rival UVA did.

Hening’s suit claims she “supports social justice and believes black lives matter,” but “does not support the BLM organization.”
The lawsuit alleges that, during halftime of the Sept. 12 season opener at UVA, “Coach Adair berated Hening for her stance. He singled her out and verbally attacked her, pointing a finger directly in her face. He denounced Hening for ‘bitching and moaning,’ for being selfish and individualistic, and for ‘doing her own thing.’”

According to the lawsuit, Adair targeted Hening instead of the other player who remained standing because that player was on scholarship and her parents had a previous phone conversation with Adair and had “warned him not to retaliate against their daughter for opposing (Black Lives Matter.)”

There are two sides to every story, and we're only getting one here. However, it shows someone being punished for NOT supporting BLM. Do our left leaning members support her right to her own opinion, her own decision to NOT kneel?

aemetha

Bluelighter
Do our left leaning members support her right to her own opinion, her own decision to NOT kneel?
Ridiculous... unless it affected the performance on the field. Like you say, only one side is being told of this story. On the face of it though a player should not be punished for their political views or how they express them unless they are illegal in some way, or they cause a problem with their performance on the field.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
Do our left leaning members support her right to her own opinion, her own decision to NOT kneel?

For sure, that's totally ridiculous to fire someone for refusing to kneel before a game. Just as it is ridiculous to fire or otherwise punish someone for choosing to kneel.

w01fg4ng

Bluelight Crew
Even though I've never bought it (I almost did) and I've never had someone tell me to cancel them (I have my own opinion?) I've decided to cancel Monistat not only for there overpriced product but for there blatant continuation of a social stigma.

This social stigma says that it's ok for men to be dirty but women need to be clean. This social stigma says that it's only women's genitalia/privates with a candida problem. This social stigma plays on the insecurity of humans and taps directly into our phony ideas of what makes us male and female and even our sexuality. This social stigma furthers the belief that if you wash your ass as a man you must be gay.

Men, that thing you call dick cheese? That's candida. It can grow inside of your other cavities just like a vagina.

Women, your vagina is normal. You don't need an exclusive product to make you feel like you're the only gender with this problem. Happy Vagina Appreciation Day.

Fuck you Monistat.

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter
Self awareness is a pretty cool thing.

Tell that to Justin Bieber.

The guy looks like the worst of the worst white trash. Apparently this deadlocked look of his seems to miss the obviously mismatched ill fitting clothing my 7 year old could have designed and while the hair looks really embarassing, its not culture appropriation at all.

Anyone CAN get dreadlocks, unless you're bald, some just wear it better than others.

Afro hair suits cornrows and dreads naturally because of the hair type , looks pretty hit too and dreads are ok on ppl they suit, caucasian hair can do it but can look shitty, who cares anyway.

I suspect there's only a handful of morons who really think Bieber is being a racist type thing but hashtag that trends dont include Bieber for his talent this week much.

Guy looks like shit, the dreads look shit , not even close to anything about the black culture here, this is white trash through and through.

Justin Bieber is not fly for a white guy

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter
This little gem of a story is not about the thread title specifically and is more about a complete KAREN is turning a nothingburger into some race/skin colour discrimination shitshow.

Had a lol at this, it's so dumb that idiots jump onto an already confusing topic du jour (racism/culture) and make it so ridiculous that its obscuring ACTUAL issues which deserve more attention.

KAREN wants cheap make-up miracle

"Medium beige" is actually incredibly dark.

Men can wear make up too so being so concerned about women is sexist.

what's next, skin colour crayons? Its a bit more work but any idiot should be able to blend their own and the point of cheap make up is its cheap.

Atelier3

Moderator: SLR
Staff member
Let’s have some stories about people or organisations that stood their ground, stared down the cancellers, and rode it out until they gave up.

Jordan Peterson the best example. He still has his academic job and his publishers stared down the woke junior staff who canpaigned to drop him and his books.

JK Rowling another one. I reckon she would have done it even without all her fuck you money.

The one I really like is Trader Joe’s sticking with Trader Jose’s.

Dropperneck

Bluelighter

Former Virginia Tech soccer player sues coach, claiming she was forced off team for refusing to kneel before games

There are two sides to every story, and we're only getting one here. However, it shows someone being punished for NOT supporting BLM. Do our left leaning members support her right to her own opinion, her own decision to NOT kneel?
This kneeling crap is about subservience, literally bending the knee to a political ideology. The establishments political ideology of choice which is some mashup of neo liberal and neo conservative principles.
Based Japan sees the kneeling for what it is and has banned it for the Tokyo Olympic Games coming up. Saw woke Twitter people seething about it the other day.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
It's fucked up to kick people off of teams or otherwise fire them or whatever, whether they choose to kneel or not.

I disagree that kneeling is a sign of subservience to an ideology, I consider it instead a form of peaceful and effective protest. But regardless of what I think about it, it's fucked up to not just let individuals express themselves by either kneeling or not kneeling.

Dropperneck

Bluelighter
It's fucked up to kick people off of teams or otherwise fire them or whatever, whether they choose to kneel or not.

I disagree that kneeling is a sign of subservience to an ideology, I consider it instead a form of peaceful and effective protest. But regardless of what I think about it, it's fucked up to not just let individuals express themselves by either kneeling or not kneeling.
Would you agree that making it mandatory by default is bad? The neo liberal establishment making it mandatory makes it seem implied that ur a kkk klansmen if you dare not to. I would never for any reason, and I feel nervous even typing this. Seems dystopian

burn out

Bluelighter

Do you think sports leagues should not be allowed to ban players from wearing/making political symbols while on the field?

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
I mean I guess they're private enterprises so they should be allowed to do what they want in the name of private organizations having the freedom to conduct themselves how they see fit, but I don't think it's right. As I see it, signing the national anthem necessarily involves you presenting in one way or another (hand over the heart, standing, sitting, kneeling, etc). Choosing to kneel vs not kneel is not the same thing as, for example, wearing a jersey endorsing a candidate, or something like that.

And yes, I agree that making kneeling (or not kneeling) mandatory is bad. Individuals should be given the freedom to choose. I have as much of a problem with an organization making kneeling mandatory as I do with them making not kneeling mandatory.

I really still do not get what the big deal is about kneeling, and why people have made such a big fuss about it.

burn out

Bluelighter
I mean I guess they're private enterprises so they should be allowed to do what they want in the name of private organizations having the freedom to conduct themselves how they see fit, but I don't think it's right. As I see it, signing the national anthem necessarily involves you presenting in one way or another (hand over the heart, standing, sitting, kneeling, etc). Choosing to kneel vs not kneel is not the same thing as, for example, wearing a jersey endorsing a candidate, or something like that.
[/QUOTE]

What about making the black power fist every time you score a touchdown or make a tackle or whatever? The NFL has actually has a lot of rules on what you can do and can't do on the field.

And yes, I agree that making kneeling (or not kneeling) mandatory is bad. Individuals should be given the freedom to choose. I have as much of a problem with an organization making kneeling mandatory as I do with them making not kneeling mandatory.

I really still do not get what the big deal is about kneeling, and why people have made such a big fuss about it.

Before any of this started the rulebook did say

"During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

Let's say I hired you as a tour guide on a boat I owned and you decided that every time the boat set sail, you were going to kneel in protest of racism or whatever and let's say this alienated some of my customers. Would you really think it was "fucked up" or "wrong" if I said you couldn't do that? And would you feel that way even if I showed you the official employee handbook said "when the ship sets sail, the tour guide shall stand at attention next to the first mate and salute the captain". You might think it was dumb that I wanted you to stand there and salute the captain but no one forced you to take the job and people work jobs that have policies they think are dumb all the time.

As for the fuss, I am surprised you don't see the reason for it given today's political climate. It goes to the heart of one of the political divides in the country. The woke crowd is obviously going to support the kneeling, whereas your average blue collar football fan, not only doesn't like wokeness, he probably also doesn't want politics in the ballgame. We are already bombarded by politics in the news, in the workplace, on social media etc and for a lot of people, settling into watching the ballgame was a way to take a break from that. Decent hard working people just trying to put food on the table for their family don't like being told how privileged and racist they are by athletes who make more money than they could ever dream of. Some of probably see kneeling as unpatriotic and this creates a split between the folks who follow the narrative that America is irredeemably racist, that all its institutions are racist, the police are racist, that innocent black people are being hunted down and shot by the thousands by police officers and white people are bad vs people who have become extremely sick of that narrative and prefer to emphasize more positive things about America, such as the argument that it's one the least racist nations on earth, that black people in America have a higher standard of living than any other country in the world, they have been given the opportunity to rise up into positions of wealth and power, there have been many programs and billions of dollars of spent in efforts to help them, etc etc. Also Trump weighed in, so of course that blew it up.

In short, this is exactly the kind of story the media loves to cover because it allows them to advance their agenda of promoting wokeness and racial division and conservative media and those in the anti SJW business also love it because it gives them something to talk about and get ratings from as well. So why wouldn't you expect there to be fuss over it?

cduggles

Sr. Moderator: CEPS, Words
Staff member
black people in America have a higher standard of living than any other country in the world
There are plenty of black people in other countries who are far wealthier than in the United States.
they have been given the opportunity to rise up into positions of wealth and power
Given is a pretty loaded word. I would say they had zero opportunity when brought as slaves, and I don’t think the entire Civil Rights movement was related to something “given” to black people.

I thought you had a good argument going before this stuff, fwiw. But you completely lost me.