Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film "Cult Films" That Disappointed You?

LadyLucid

Bluelighter
After hearing character references from this film for years I decided to watch The Usual Suspects for the first time. I am always fairly pleased with the roles of the cast, Kevin Spacey especially..so I didn't really expect to be bored watching it. *possible spoiler in next paragraph thing*

Unfortunately...I didn't see what everyone was talking about. I figured out the twist by the first scene of Verbal being questioned by Kujan in the Sgt.'s office and Spacey's usually unassuming villain type acting actually upset me with how obviously "wolf in sheep's clothing" he was and none of the dialogue captured me at all.

Anyway, are there any new or classic films that you've seen lately and just didn't get the hype behind them?

Pulp Fiction. Yes, it's a good movie, and I like the artistry behind it, but I'll never get the crowd who treat it like the Citizen Kane of the '90s.

The only thing I really got out of pulp fiction was Samuel L. Jackson being satisfyingly righteous and loud. And a few choice moments, but it's really just the Tarantino name that pumped up the expectations of the film.
It came out right after Reservoir Dogs, which was a pretty neat film

I love most of the films mentioned above lol. I didn't really get Withnail and I until I watched it a few times. Some films just stand the test of time better than others I think; I used to love Pulp Fiction but I will probably never watch it again.

Tristram and Shandy: a cock and bull story, took me a few tries as well, but after seeing it while not completely fucked up I found it to be so fucking funny.

Anyone here see Hobo with a Shotgun? this film is Canadian (as am I), has everything I look for in a film but I thought it was shit despite it getting great reviews from everyone i know and RT. It will surely be a cult film in the future for those who love that surreal shit but I didn't know whether to laugh or turn it off. Another Canadian cult film and its sequel, Fubar and Fubar 2 are fucking amazing to me however.

pan's labyrinth. the fantasy and graphic violence mixes in a way that i don't like.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

The film took itself too seriously which made it look silly because the dialogue was awfully written.

^come on! every film needs an ageing italian rapping flavor flav col' lampin!

Anyone here see Hobo with a Shotgun? this film is Canadian (as am I), has everything I look for in a film but I thought it was shit despite it getting great reviews from everyone i know and RT. It will surely be a cult film in the future for those who love that surreal shit but I didn't know whether to laugh or turn it off. Another Canadian cult film and its sequel, Fubar and Fubar 2 are fucking amazing to me however.

Yeah, Hobo With a Shotgun is really only watchable due to its visual style. The story and acting aren't exactly top-notch, but it was still a fun film to watch with friends.

Pulp Fiction is a fucking masterpiece, not really sure what there is to not like about it. The only real complaint I could imagine someone having is the nonlinear story, which might require multiple viewings to piece the story together properly. Other than that it's clearly Tarantino's best work.

Anyway, a "classic" film that disappointed me was The Goonies. Maybe if I was a kid instead of a jaded 20 y/o I might have enjoyed it more, but I thought it was just "meh".

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

The film took itself too seriously which made it look silly because the dialogue was awfully written.

The film it is kind of based on, Le Samourai, by Jean-Pierre Melville is one of the great crime films of the 60's. An absolute classic.

Clerks...just expected it to be much better, wasnt impressed.:\

I couldn't think of one until you posted this. Agreed, for as much hype as there is around the film it left me wondering what was so special.

clerks was nice for the time it came out, it's aged terribly. as has any kevin smith work.

pulp fiction is a wonderful piece of cinema. no other film made me feel so naturally high as that did back in 95. but i've seen it too many times. these days i love jackie brown far more.

clerks was nice for the time it came out, it's aged terribly. as has any kevin smith work.

Exactly, it captured the zeitgeist of the nineties very well for all of the apathetic Gen-Xers. As an overall piece of cinema, it's really lacking.

The Maltese Falcon.
Don't know if this counts but I'd heard it mentioned lots when growing up, and it just seemed like lots of Americans thinking that talking fast means they are acting.

why did fight club disappoint? why donnie darko?

alasdair

donnie darko was just...bad.
none of the characters were sympathetic in my opinion, the story was lame, the bunny and orb shit was lame. time travelling to kill yourself is lame.
hey retard, why don't you just time travel back to the party and stop your girlfriend from wandering around? gotta be a martyr.
his character really sucked.
if his character didn't suck so bad i would've liked it.

lol.

i love fight club and pulp fiction though. pan's labyrinth was pretty cool i thought. clerks was okay. i haven't seen the others listed on here